Goodreads Authors/Readers discussion

Bulletin Board > Your Opinion on Cover Art?

Comments Showing 1-14 of 14 (14 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Regulus (last edited Jul 26, 2014 08:52PM) (new)

Regulus Aurum | 3 comments Hullo everyone, I'm currently in the process of publishing to Amazon and I wanted to know your opinion on cover art. What do you like/dislike, what do you feel is cliche/overdone, etc...?

The reason I'm asking is because I want my cover art to have a particular style but I don't know how readers will react to it. The book would be Urban Fantasy and the style would be similar to this: http://blog.mangamagazine.net/wp-cont...

What do you think? If you saw a cover like this would it pique your interest of would you pass right by it?

message 2: by Arabella (new)

Arabella Thorne (arabella_thornejunocom) | 354 comments the example your link shows is very fine professional
Professional is the key word here. A cheesy cover communicates to me unfortunately cheesy work inside

message 3: by Amanda (new)

Amanda Lyons (amandamlyons) Actually I think that would be a nice format, as long as it connects to fantasy in some fashion it makes for a beautiful cover. Just be sure not to have the cover be too close or contain copyrighted materials, major lawsuits can come of those actions.

message 4: by Renee E (new)

Renee E My first thought would be, "oh, this is manga."

message 5: by Shannon (last edited Jul 27, 2014 07:35AM) (new)

Shannon Pemrick | 55 comments I LOVE painted covers, especially for fantasy and sci fi. I like them much more than photo-manipulated cover. My covers for my current running trilogy are created this way.

The style of this, while anime/cartoon, it's very well done and appears professional and like Arabella said, that's what you're aiming for. Having a piece done by an amateur artist will make your cover look mediocre. As long as the cover looks professional you'll be safe.

message 6: by Renee E (new)

Renee E A great place to look for artists is at www.deviantart.com

message 7: by Micah (last edited Jul 27, 2014 08:23AM) (new)

Micah Sisk (micahrsisk) Renee wrote: "My first thought would be, "oh, this is manga.""

Agreed. To me it says the book will be light entertainment targeted at the youth market. Probably fantasy.

If that's your target then you'd be good with something like that, but it would still need to look--as Arabella says--professional.

However the typography will be just as important as the cover art.

As far as what's cliche or overdone...well, that's going to depend on the genre. And very often things are overdone because they work. A cover is supposed to do three things:

1) Grab your attention. They say that if your cover doesn't grab someone's attention in 3 seconds, you've lost them. So you have 3 seconds to first grab their attention enough to absorb the following...

2) Convey what genre the book is. It has to--without the potential reader actually reading the title--clearly announce what genre we're talking about. If I see a hot chick or a hunky guy partially undressed on the cover, I'm going to be thinking the book is either erotica or romance. If I find out it's hardcore science fiction, I'm going to be pissed off.

3) Inspire a desire to find out more. This is the hardest part. This includes capturing the feel of the book as well as being compelling enough to make the reader want to reach out and grab the book, to at least look at the back cover material and/or sample what's inside. Doing this is kind of like the art of designing headlines for an online site like buzzfeed. Look at their titles and you'll see things like "8 Mistakes That Will Absolutely Kill A First Date". Makes you want to click the link even if you're happily married. Your book cover needs to do that graphically through a combination of the cover art, title and typography.

message 8: by Regulus (new)

Regulus Aurum | 3 comments Thanks everyone, you've all been really helpful! I want to use a more artistic style for my cover but I don't want to confuse readers about the content either. Other readers that I have asked seem to be rather tired of the [insert X model with Y weapon] format so I was trying to be a little more... creative? I might have to figure out something else though, especially because the artist I linked isn't accepting commissions currently (bummer).

message 9: by Shannon (last edited Jul 28, 2014 06:36PM) (new)

Shannon Pemrick | 55 comments If you have quite a bit of cash to offer up, you can check out the artist I use. He's not an anime artist but he creates some really good art. His name is Alex Negrea and he's rather expensive but really good.

http://alexnegrea.deviantart.com/
http://alexnegrea.blogspot.com/
https://www.facebook.com/negrea.alex.9

message 10: by Renee E (new)

Renee E Shannon wrote: "If you have quite a bit of cash to offer up, you can check out the artist I use. He's not an anime artist but he creates some really good art. His name is Alex Negrea and he's rather expensive but ..."

Beautiful work. Made me think of Boris Vallejo. I can see the influence but it's still original.

message 11: by Regulus (new)

Regulus Aurum | 3 comments Shannon wrote: "If you have quite a bit of cash to offer up, you can check out the artist I use. He's not an anime artist but he creates some really good art. His name is Alex Negrea and he's rather expensive but ..."

Oh, cool, I follow him on dA too. I'll have a look at his gallery, thanks. :D

message 12: by Shannon (new)

Shannon Pemrick | 55 comments Renee wrote: Beautiful work. Made me think of Boris Vallejo. I can see the influence but it's still original.

Love Boris Vallejo. Very talented artist but oddly enough I never saw that influence. Now that you mention it, it might explain why I like Alex's work so much.

Regulus wrote: Oh, cool, I follow him on dA too. I'll have a look at his gallery, thanks. :D

Glad I could help!

message 13: by Mariel (new)

Mariel Grey | 123 comments Micah wrote: "Renee wrote: "My first thought would be, "oh, this is manga.""

Agreed. To me it says the book will be light entertainment targeted at the youth market. Probably fantasy.

If that's your target the..."

I think Micah pretty well nailed it. As an aside, I liked the image and think something similar would look great if it works for your story.

message 14: by Justin (new)

Justin (justinbienvenue) | 2165 comments I don't think cover art cliches happen often expect in perhaps Romance with a hunk guy on the cover or a guy holding a woman in his arms. I think Cover Art is key and essential to the importance of a book. Lots of times authors don't really put alot of thought or consideration into it and I think it's big because it's the first thing a person sees before deciding on whether or not they like it, it's what draws them in.

As for your cover, I personally don't like those types of illustrations however I know it does fit to a certain idea you perhaps have and goes with a fan base.