500 Great Books By Women discussion

Against Our Will: Men, Women and Rape
This topic is about Against Our Will
Violence > Against Our Will: Men, Women and Rape - Susan Brownmiller

Comments Showing 1-4 of 4 (4 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Aubrey (last edited Oct 16, 2018 03:28PM) (new) - rated it 2 stars

Aubrey (korrick) | 2004 comments Against Our Will: Men, Women and Rape, Susan Brownmiller, 1975, United States, NONFICTION

"...Susan Brownmiller's thoroughly researched, ground-breaking history is one woman's determined effort to make the world see rape as a crime of violence and power that achieves a political purpose: "That some men rape provides a sufficient threat to keep all women in a constant state of intimidation...men who commit rape have served in effect as front-line masculine shock troops, terrorist guerrillas in the longest sustained battle the world has ever known." Against Our Will begins with early legal definitions that treat rape as an act of damaging (a man's) property, then gives graphic descriptions of rape during war that remove any doubt that this is a crime of domination, not sexual gratification..."

(E.B., p. 309)

Review Cache
Nandakishore
Aubrey

Nandakishore Mridula Against Our Will

Sorry, this review's only partial - never got around to writing a full one. However, there are a lot of updates I posted while reading the book.

Alexa (AlexaNC) | 120 comments I read this ages and ages ago (completely pre-Goodreads) - it had a really powerful effect on me!

Aubrey (korrick) | 2004 comments I'm submitting my review for this: https://www.goodreads.com/review/show...