twilight lovers! discussion

Movies (non-twilight) > Lovely Bones

Comments Showing 1-50 of 167 (167 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1 3 4

message 1: by Stephanie, Loves Vamps and Werewolves but Zombies scare me!! (new)

Stephanie | 4175 comments Mod
I don't know if any of you have read or wanted to read this book but it's very good and now it's going to be a movie!!! Here's the trailer....

http://www.imdb.com/video/imdb/vi2973...

message 2: by [deleted user] (new)

Yeah, I really liked the trailer for it. I had it on my to-read list until I read all the reviews wiht good points. But after seeing how awesome the trailer was I added it again.

message 3: by Celia (new)

Celia  Jane Guzi (celiahearts) | 97 comments OMG! i hafta read this book, it's supposed to be really good! I was reading Entertainment Weekly and it's predicted to win like 3 academys! its like, the same director as lotd of the rings.... but the book is rly pervy and creepy.. totally adult. raping... i read the first 2 chapters in 7th grade.... lol

message 4: by Stephanie, Loves Vamps and Werewolves but Zombies scare me!! (new)

Well yeah the book is pretty adult in content...I'm sure the movie will be to. But it was very good!!

message 5: by [deleted user] (new)

Yup can't read that one.

message 6: by Celia (new)

Celia  Jane Guzi (celiahearts) | 97 comments Stephanie wrote: "Well yeah the book is pretty adult in content...I'm sure the movie will be to. But it was very good!!"

i read in entertainment tonight that Saoirse Ronan (The girl who plays Suzie) was like 14 when she tried out 4 the role (I was actually looking forward to this movie last year, but the date got pushed back) so her parents didn't like the idea of showing the rape so the movie makers decided to tastefully not show that part as blatantly and horrible as in the book.

message 7: by [deleted user] (new)

Ick graphic book shudder

message 8: by Stephanie, Loves Vamps and Werewolves but Zombies scare me!! (new)

celia ♥ wrote: "Stephanie wrote: "Well yeah the book is pretty adult in content...I'm sure the movie will be to. But it was very good!!"

i read in entertainment tonight that Saoirse Ronan (The girl who plays Su..."

That is a relief...I hate movies that show that kind of violence. Last House on the Left gave me nightmares for a week!!

message 9: by [deleted user] (new)

lol

message 10: by Stephanie, Loves Vamps and Werewolves but Zombies scare me!! (new)

NO REALLY IT WAS SICK!!!!!

message 11: by Celia (new)

Celia  Jane Guzi (celiahearts) | 97 comments that's y i dont watch those movies... sometimes when u watch gore fest movies, u start to sickishly become attracted to them... O_o i'd like to stay away from that...

message 12: by [deleted user] (new)

Gore feasts are scary but movies like the Blair Witch Project are even scarier because they make you wonder.

message 13: by Celia (new)

Celia  Jane Guzi (celiahearts) | 97 comments i know, i watched parts of that online-it's scared the shit out of me. i watched the last 5 minutes--Did u hear that scream???? it freaked me so much i kept watching it again and again-i couldn't sleep.

message 14: by [deleted user] (new)

I watched the whole thing wait until your older if your the eleven year old. That scared the shit out of my I couldn't sleep either.

message 15: by Celia (new)

Celia  Jane Guzi (celiahearts) | 97 comments i am not eleven!!

message 16: by [deleted user] (new)

Okay than do it but make sure your mom doesn't have a problem with it it's scarier than hell

message 17: by [deleted user] (new)

celia ♥ wrote: "that's y i dont watch those movies... sometimes when u watch gore fest movies, u start to sickishly become attracted to them... O_o i'd like to stay away from that..."

Lol, Celia. You have good point. o.O

message 18: by Celia (new)

Celia  Jane Guzi (celiahearts) | 97 comments yea, like wen i was like, 6 years old or younger and maybe even now... i would see the scary movie isle in movie stores and become intensely attracted to them and immediately look at the creepiest cover. that's y parents have to keep an eye on their kids... they love the sick stuff! even though it scares the shit out of them. but, anyway, they just can't help themselves

message 19: by [deleted user] (new)

I really liked the Child's Play (Chuckie) movies at a young age... So I see your point.

message 20: by [deleted user] (new)

Melzz wrote: "I really liked the Child's Play (Chuckie) movies at a young age... So I see your point."

They scare me to much

message 21: by [deleted user] (new)

I found the concept of a little doll running around and killing people funny when I was younger. But now... I eye my stuffed animals supsiciously.

message 22: by [deleted user] (new)

I think about it to much that's why it scares me.

message 23: by [deleted user] (new)

After I eye them suspiciously...I hide them in the closet...

message 24: by [deleted user] (new)

I crawl under my covers and say no one can get me under there

message 25: by [deleted user] (new)

Ronna wrote: " I really loved the whole book. It gives you a perspective in life and makes you really think about love, family, and you life in general."

Well how could I not read it now, Ronna? Thanks for the info. :)

message 26: by Stephanie, Loves Vamps and Werewolves but Zombies scare me!! (new)

Ronna wrote: "I've read this one about 2 yrs. ago. It has some adult content, so I'd suggest 14+. It's really nice though. It's kinda sad what happened to their family and all, but it ended pretty well. I really..."

I read Lucky and it really touched me. I can't imagine going through what she went through and being so strong. It was truly amazing.

message 27: by Stephanie, Loves Vamps and Werewolves but Zombies scare me!! (new)

Yeah I read the Lovely Bones when it first came out...I loved that book so much!!

message 28: by [deleted user] (new)

Ronna wrote: "For me, the worse thing you could do to a woman, is not murder, but adultery/rape. Being a girl, it's just so much personal. After that kind of experience, I think for a woman, it's worse than dying."

It is definitely a violation on many levels.

message 29: by Nasibeh (new)

Nasibeh - i read it but dont like it at all

message 30: by Patty (new)

Patty | 30 comments I just finished the book and really liked it. It was sad just like everyone said, after i read the book I came back and read the reviews that bashed it, most of them seemed to be more upset with the writing style rather than the actual content and it kind of pissed me off. Because i really liekd how it jumps from one scene to another, and lots of other stuff about it were interesting for me to read.
I really want to see the movie though :)

message 31: by Patty (new)

Patty | 30 comments I guess I dont understand why people complain about an authors style of writing. When its a book like this and it obviously comes from a important place to that person why does it matter to them how they expressed it...?

I'll admit i cried alot when i read this book

message 32: by Roksana (new)

Roksana | 118 comments I havnt read the book but waiting for it at the library (LOOOOONG waiting list) :(

I am going to watch the movie because it looks good and because I like Peter Jackson. I want him to direct Breaking Dawn.

I will look in to Lucky! Sound like a good read!

message 33: by Celia (new)

Celia  Jane Guzi (celiahearts) | 97 comments Ambizzle wrote: "I think about it to much that's why it scares me."

i think about it way too much too. it makes the world seem like, after all the love and everything, in the background of it all and in the end it all ends up in evil and gore.

message 34: by [deleted user] (new)

They would enjoy it.

message 35: by [deleted user] (last edited Oct 07, 2009 06:15PM) (new)

celia ♥ wrote: "but i ges a guy getting raped wouldn't b as bad..."

Ambizzle wrote: "They would enjoy it."
celia ♥ wrote: "yes, they would."

No guys would not. Rape, by definition, is when you do not want to have sex with someone and you tell them to stop, and they proceed to go against your wishes. Only 10% of Men that get raped actually report it, because of people saying exactly what you guys are saying. What if your father, or brother, or cousin had been raped in their lives? How would you feel about that? You would see rape for what it is. Rape. It does not matter what gender you are. By those arguments men could say women would enjoy it.

message 36: by Mellady77 (new)

Mellady77 Stibich | 1149 comments Melzz wrote: "celia ♥ wrote: "but i ges a guy getting raped wouldn't b as bad..."Ambizzle wrote: "They would enjoy it."
No guys would not. Rape, by definition, is when you do ..."

Completely agree.

message 37: by Stephanie, Loves Vamps and Werewolves but Zombies scare me!! (new)

Melzz wrote: "celia ♥ wrote: "but i ges a guy getting raped wouldn't b as bad..."Ambizzle wrote: "They would enjoy it."
No guys would not. Rape, by definition, is when you do ..."

I could not agree more!!

message 38: by Jill (new)

Jill I read this book more than four years ago, so a lot of the details are fuzzy at this point, but I remember it being a really beautiful story that actually filled me with hope rather than bringing me totally down. Yes, there were tough parts to read and I don't know that I would recommend it to younger audiences (I read it as an adult, not a teenager). I opted not to read Lucky because I was not sure I was up to it, it has been on a kind of mental TBR list for years but I still haven't ever decided to seek it out to read it. The rape was not the focus of the entire novel, but her continued presence after her death was central to the story.

message 39: by [deleted user] (new)

celia ♥ wrote: "yes, they would.

unless they're gay or maybe like really helpless... or a child! yeah....

anyway................."

They would enjoy it because that's how sick they are. It wouldn't hurt them or anything they would love it.

message 40: by [deleted user] (new)

Ambizzle wrote: "They would enjoy it because that's how sick they are. It wouldn't hurt them or anything they would love it."

Did you not even look at what I posted? No they would not. By definition, it's physically impossible to say they would enjoy it. That's like saying a cat is a dog. Of course they'd be sexually stimulated, but so are girls during those horrifying experiences. They can't help what their bodies feel, but in their heart it would still feel sick and wrong. Assuming that the whole population of males would enjoy it, is sexist and frankly, sickening. Now, if guys were to say the same thing, you would argue against them, which is very hypocritical. It demeans rape as a whole.

message 41: by [deleted user] (new)

i'm not saying that seriously. It's the guys I'm around all day would enjoy it because they're horny every freaking second of the day. But rape is wrong and serious and I shouldn't joke about it. But sometimes I think they would. They're to willing they wouldn't think twice. So technically it wouldn't be rape...

message 42: by [deleted user] (new)

That's not male rape, that's consensual sex from a willing teenage boy. Rape is the wrong word.

message 43: by [deleted user] (new)

Ok see now I learned something new. If you've spent 20 minuets with a decent teenage boy even they're really willing

message 44: by [deleted user] (new)

One track minds. They're made ready to "mate". They can't help it though, that's why it frustrates them sometimes.

message 45: by [deleted user] (new)

Minds that sometime are based out of they're pants. Yes they definitely made to mate. Sometimes they just enjoy it to much...

message 46: by [deleted user] (new)

Yeah, I feel bad for them. As girls we have the right wiring to control our hormones better, but boys don't have that luxury. As they get older, it regulates, but when they are young it drives them nuts...no pun intended.

message 47: by [deleted user] (new)

Try dealing with 13 and 14 year old boys every day.

message 48: by [deleted user] (new)

:) I have.

message 49: by [deleted user] (new)

It's horrible. Shudder but they're funny with they're uncontrollable body parts

message 50: by [deleted user] (new)

Very entertaining, for sure, but older guys are even worse. They actually tell you when they... >.<

« previous 1 3 4