Historical Fictionistas discussion

The Front Parlor > Splurges, Show Thyself!

Comments Showing 1-50 of 1,453 (1453 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 29 30

message 1: by Becky, Moddess (new)

Becky (Beckyofthe19and9) | 3694 comments OK... I have broken down and bought some books and have plans to buy more.

I bought Mason & Dixon by Thomas Pynchon, which I will most likely be using for my HF book that is written by an author not known for HF. This one is, as you may have guessed, about the guys who got out their Sharpies and drew the Mason/Dixon line. I got this huge monster of a book for $2 at the thrift store. :D

I also bought The Pillars of the Earth, which I'm sure you've all heard of. Paid $1.59 for that one. WOO!

Next up is The Innocent Man: Murder and Injustice in a Small Town, which is set in 1982, and by my standards qualifies as HF. Possibly to be used as my HF Crime book, but I also have Dissolution, which is Tudor-y goodness! UGH! DECISIONS!

I have also purchased credits with paperbackswap.com so that I can order the following:
The First Man in Rome
The Grass Crown
Fortune's Favorites &
Caesar's Women

WHY are my credits not showing yet?? WHY!?!

message 2: by April (new)

April (booksandwine) | 48 comments Ahhh, that's awesome! Hurrah for splurges. :-)

message 3: by Vicki (last edited Aug 13, 2009 08:36PM) (new)

Vicki I have been absolutely horrible about buying books lately. It seems to just happen without me realizing it.

So today I went to Borders and bought:
1. Crime and Punishment
2. Blind Assassin
3. Burning Bright

I also ordered a few from paperbackswap:
Suite Francaise
Those Who Save Us
[Book: Tea Rose]

And I know I have two orders coming in from Amazon but I can't even remember what I ordered right now, I know it all started with [Book: Gone with the Wind] and some 4 for 3 deal that got away from me...

message 4: by Vicki (new)

Vicki Becky, I would have thought the credits should be automatic. Hmm

message 5: by Becky, Moddess (new)

Becky (Beckyofthe19and9) | 3694 comments Yes... I also bought:

Anthem by Ayn Rand
The Terminal Man by Michael Crichton
The Sword of Shannara & Elfstones of Shannara by Terry Brooks
The Harsh Cry of the Heron (which I think is book 5 of the Otori series - but Fi recommended it and it was like $1 so I couldn't pass it up!)
Reading Lolita in Tehran by Azar Nafisi

And I will probably break down and buy Caesar: A Novel, October Horse and Antony & Cleopatra by McCullough to go along with the other 4 I'm getting from PBS.

And then there are Lord of Light and This Immortal by Roger Zelazny that I'm mooching too.

Splurgocity!!

message 6: by Allison (The Allure of Books) (last edited Aug 14, 2009 01:33AM) (new)

Allison (The Allure of Books) (inconceivably) | 418 comments Harsh Cry is the fourth! YAY! I'm excited for you to read those.

Allison (The Allure of Books) (inconceivably) | 418 comments yeah...I've bought almost 20 books in the past two weeks. I'm too lazy to post them all at the moment though.

Allison (The Allure of Books) (inconceivably) | 418 comments but Becky I'm so proud of you, hehe! Its been way too long since your last splurge.

Allison (The Allure of Books) (inconceivably) | 418 comments Even though I trust Kandice...I'm reserving judgment on buying the rest of the Rome series until I see how I like First Man in Rome.

message 10: by Becky, Moddess (new)

Becky (Beckyofthe19and9) | 3694 comments Allison wrote: "but Becky I'm so proud of you, hehe! Its been way too long since your last splurge."

I know... and now of course I'm going down in style. I'm thinking of buying another trilogy too. O_o

Allison (The Allure of Books) (inconceivably) | 418 comments Becky wrote: "Allison wrote: "but Becky I'm so proud of you, hehe! Its been way too long since your last splurge."

I know... and now of course I'm going down in style. I'm thinking of buying another trilogy t..."

oooo what is it?

message 12: by Becky, Moddess (new)

Allison (The Allure of Books) (inconceivably) | 418 comments Becky wrote: "The First Laws trilogy... *drool*

The Blade Itself
Before They Are Hanged
Last Argument Of Kings"

Yeah...I want to read those too! Luckily, my library has them.

Allison (The Allure of Books) (inconceivably) | 418 comments Patrick Rothfuss recommends them, and his word is gold with me. :)

message 15: by Becky, Moddess (new)

Becky (Beckyofthe19and9) | 3694 comments *gasp* !!!! We could read them together... or - I could start reading them, and you could wait until I'm 3/4 through the 3rd book and then you could catch up and... and... Oooh...

Allison (The Allure of Books) (inconceivably) | 418 comments Becky wrote: "*gasp* !!!! We could read them together... or - I could start reading them, and you could wait until I'm 3/4 through the 3rd book and then you could catch up and... and... Oooh..."

not necessary :P I'm starting school week after next.

message 17: by Jon (new)

Jon | 374 comments ive got The Agony and the Ecstasy A Biographical Novel of Michelangelo on its way from bookmooch, sounds like there might be a few interested parties in reading

message 18: by Jennifer (new)

Jennifer (jennifertudor) | 350 comments I picked up a couple on my lunch hour yesterday and can't wait to go back to look around some more (15 minutes in a second-hand book store is NOWHERE near long enough!) I'm terrible for splurges and have bought way more books in the past couple of months than I can afford....

Yesterday I bought:
When Christ and His Saints Slept Sharon Kay Penman
Girl with a Pearl Earring for the Monthly read
The Knight of the Sacred Lake Rosalind Miles (now I need to find the first book of that trilogy)
The House of Doctor Dee Peter Ackroyd

JG (The Introverted Reader) I was just thinking about The Agony and The Ecstasy the other day. I really need to read that.

message 20: by Felina (new)

Felina | 612 comments I went to costco this weekend and picked up The White Queen A Novel.

message 21: by Becky, Moddess (new)

Becky (Beckyofthe19and9) | 3694 comments I've heard mixed reviews of that one... Let me know what you think, Felina!

message 22: by Jennifer (last edited Aug 20, 2009 12:01PM) (new)

Jennifer (jennifertudor) | 350 comments I caved the other day and bought At the King's Command by Susan Wiggs. Not a splurge but I just couldn't help myself. I don't read many romance novels but this one is in the time of Henry VIII so I'll make an exception :)

Edit: I also bought these today...

The Birth of Venus A Novel Sarah Dunant
The Poisonwood Bible Barbara Kingsolver
Falls the Shadow Sharon Kay Penman
The Book of Love Writers and their Love Letters Cathy N. Davidson
The Lost King of France How DNA Solved the Mystery of the Murdered Son of Louis XVI and Marie Antoinette Deborah Cadbury
The Life and Times of Edward VII Keith Middlemas

... I just can't help myself!

message 23: by Dorie (new)

Dorie (DorieAnn) I picked up two historicals in the clearance section of Half Price Books for only $2 each:

And Only to Deceive by Tasha Alexander (recommended by Allison!)

The Fool's Tale A Novel by Nicole Galland, which also looks good. Anyone else read this?

Allison (The Allure of Books) (inconceivably) | 418 comments oh my gosh, I could die!!! Hope you like And Only to Deceive. I wasn't sure about it at first, but the series only gets better and better. I am chomping at the bit for the 4th book actually, which comes out Sept. 1st.

pleeeease let me know when you start it! I want updates :)

message 25: by Becky, Moddess (new)

Becky (Beckyofthe19and9) | 3694 comments Allison wrote: "oh my gosh, I could die!!! Hope you like And Only to Deceive. I wasn't sure about it at first, but the series only gets better and better. I am chomping at the bit for the 4th book actually, which ..."

Too bad you can't get it. Too many books lately, Hubs will be mad! ;P

Allison (The Allure of Books) (inconceivably) | 418 comments aw well..he hates me anyway ;)

message 27: by Becky, Moddess (new)

Becky (Beckyofthe19and9) | 3694 comments Nuh uh! >_<

Allison (The Allure of Books) (inconceivably) | 418 comments yeah, guess not. lol.

he might though, if I get the book :D

message 29: by Becky, Moddess (new)

Becky (Beckyofthe19and9) | 3694 comments Maybe Santa will get it for you for Christmas. :P

message 30: by Dorie (new)

Dorie (DorieAnn) Will do, Allison. I like that it's also a mystery.

message 31: by Heather (new)

Heather (hsditto) Dorie wrote: "I picked up two historicals in the clearance section of Half Price Books for only $2 each:

And Only to Deceive by Tasha Alexander (recommended by Allison!)

[book:The Fool's Tale..."

Dorie, I have The Fool's Tale but haven't read it yet. It looks good though, doesn't it?!

message 32: by Heather (new)

Heather (hsditto) I've gotten most of my books from the Half Price Books clearance section. I LOVE that place! I always find something there that I'm wanting and rarely ever leave that place empty handed.

Hey Dorie, did they up the prices on the paperbacks in your HPB clearance section? Ours used to be only $2, but now they've gone up to $3. I was a bit surprised when I was in there the other day and saw that. I mean, $3 is nothing to complain about, but I really liked it better when they were only $2! :)

message 33: by Heather (new)

Heather (hsditto) Vicki wrote: "I have been absolutely horrible about buying books lately. It seems to just happen without me realizing it.

So today I went to Borders and bought:
1. Crime and Punishment
2. [bo..."

Vicki, I just recently finished Blind Assassin and loved it! I was a 5 star read for me. I hope you enjoy it!

message 34: by Dorie (new)

Dorie (DorieAnn) Heather, as far as I can tell of the books I looked at in the clearance section the hardcovers went for $3 and the paperbacks for $2. But yeah, I find the greatest buys there. A book-addicts treasure trove. And The Fool's Tale looks great, I'm really looking forward to reading it.

message 35: by Jennifer (last edited Sep 21, 2009 04:28AM) (new)

Jennifer (jennifertudor) | 350 comments I had a very busy day yesterday! My husband and I went to a few yardsales, etc. and I had some great finds.

Russka The Novel of Russia Edward Rutherford
The Ladies of Missalonghi Colleen McCullough
Shogun James Clavell
The Te of Piglet Benjamin Hoff
The Miracle at St. Bruno's Philippa Carr
Marrying Mozart Stephanie Cowell
Morgan's Run Colleen McCullough
Meridon Philippa Gregory
Heaven and Hell John Jakes
The Venus Throw A Mystery of Ancient Rome Steven Saylor
Avalon A Novel Anya Seton

Allison (The Allure of Books) (inconceivably) | 418 comments wow, Jennifer! Awesome finds :)

message 37: by Felina (new)

Felina | 612 comments Oh Jennifer...jealous. I live in the low income part of town and I can't find a book at a garage sale to save my life. Only toys. I guess low income people have lots of kids.

message 38: by Becky, Moddess (new)

Becky (Beckyofthe19and9) | 3694 comments Felina wrote: "Oh Jennifer...jealous. I live in the low income part of town and I can't find a book at a garage sale to save my life. Only toys. I guess low income people have lots of kids."

O_o LMAO!

message 39: by Jennifer (new)

Jennifer (jennifertudor) | 350 comments LOL

message 40: by Heather (new)

Heather (hsditto) Jennifer wrote: "I had a very busy day yesterday! My husband and I went to a few yardsales, etc. and I had some great finds.

Russka The Novel of Russia Edward Rutherford
[book:The Ladies of Missal..."

Nice splurge, Jennifer! I've heard that the Edward Rutherford books are really good. I haven't read any yet, but my mom has a few of them I'd like to borrow some time.

message 41: by Jennifer (new)

Jennifer (jennifertudor) | 350 comments I haven't read anything by him yet but I hope that he is good. I've heard really mixed reviews on his books. I think he has a new one coming out too about New York.

message 42: by Heather (new)

Heather (hsditto) All I know is that my grandpa and a couple of my uncles all love his books. When my grandpa passed away this past December, my mom "inherited" several of his books, and there were some of the Rutherford ones among them. Just the fact that he was a favorite of my grandpa makes me want to read one. I'll be interested to hear what you think of his writing, when you get around to it :)

message 43: by Dorie (last edited Sep 22, 2009 03:54PM) (new)

Dorie (DorieAnn) Woo-hoo, picked up 'An Echo in the Bone' today for $21, which is not bad since it retails for $30. I could have probably done better, but I'd have had to wait and who wants to do that?

message 44: by Heather (new)

Heather (hsditto) Yay, Dorie! Are you starting on it right away? I can't wait to start hearing some feedback on it! :)

message 45: by Heather (new)

Heather (hsditto) I have a wee splurge to report...

And Only to Deceive by Tasha Alexander
The Secret Life of Josephine Napoleon's Bird of Paradise by Carolly Erickson
Grass for His Pillow by Lian Hearn

I haven't heard anything about the Josephine one, but the description sounds intriguing.

message 46: by Fiona (new)

Fiona (bookcoop) | 441 comments Yeah Grass for His Pillow! Lol have you got Nightingale yet?

I got the other day...

American Wife by Curtis Sittenfeld
The Alchemist's Cat by Robin Jarvis
The Oaken Throne by Robin Jarvis
Daughter of Fortune by Isabel Allende
Private Peaceful by Michael Morpurgo

message 47: by Jackie, That's Her Constableness to you! (new)

Jackie (TheNightOwl) | 3098 comments Nice haul ladies! Heather, that Josephine one sounds really interesting. I had to add it my TBR.

Allison (The Allure of Books) (inconceivably) | 418 comments oh my gosh Heather!! You got And Only to Deceive :D I'm so SO excited!

message 49: by Felina (new)

Felina | 612 comments Ooo American Wife looks really good.

message 50: by Fiona (new)

Fiona (bookcoop) | 441 comments Yeah it looks pretty good! I was so glad I found it in Oxfam. I've found though it has a smaller number of books on display then the other 2nd hand shops, it actually has better books and they have lots more new and different books in each time. The bigger ones you can go there week after week and nothing is different.

« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 29 30