readers advisory for all discussion

so ask already!!! > Fantasy books with thieves or assassins or good fantasy series

Comments Showing 1-31 of 31 (31 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Tee (new)

Tee | 7 comments Hello fellow readers, I was going though the group and looking at some of the recommendations people have asked for and I noticed a lot of happy people so I thought I would give it a try.

I am new to the whole fantasy world and literally all the books I have read (except A Song of Ice and Fire books) have been in the last 7 or 8 months. In that time I have noticed I like books about based on thieves and assassins, Scott Lynch Gentlemen Bastards series is one of my favourites. And I just finished the Shadowdance Series by David Dalglish which I too really enjoyed it.

So now I'd like some help picking my next book. Something to do with thieves or assassins or set in the underworld would be my first choice. But barring that a good fantasy series, with preferably with multiple POVs but that's not essential or a strong female lead would be pretty awesome as well. Funny story I read Robin Hobb - Assassin's Apprentice because I thought the entire story revolved around assassins but ended up being presently surprised and completed the entire Realms of Elderlings series which I thought were are all good books.

Thanks in advanced.

message 2: by Elena (new)

Elena (elenalikesbooks) | 94 comments The Doctrine of Labyrinths series, starting with Melusine! Two main points of view, one is a wizard and the other is a cat burglar.

message 3: by Elena (new)

Elena (elenalikesbooks) | 94 comments Oh and Mistborn: The Final Empire. I bet you would love that trilogy, it reminds me a little of Scott Lynch.

message 4: by Maron (last edited Jul 26, 2014 06:54PM) (new)

Maron Anrow (maronanrow) | 13 comments I second the Mistborn recommendation (the characters are definitely "good guys" who are trying to pull off a scam), although I didn't like the book as much as most people I know.

I also recommend The Death of the Necromancer . The main characters engage in some thieving and scamming, though they are caught up in a larger mystery involving magic. (Ignore the fact that it says #2 on Goodreads--this is a stand-alone book and you don't have to read any of Martha Wells's other books before reading this one.)

By the way, I recently discovered Robin Hobb's Farseer Trilogy (I'm now reading the Liveship Traders) and I'm in LOVE! :)

Kathy (Kindle-aholic) (kindleaholic) Douglas Hulick's Among Thieves. If YA is OK, Ari Marmell's Thief's Covenant.

message 6: by Betsy (new)

Betsy | 184 comments A few of my favorite fantasy series are below. None of these are about thieves or assassins really, except the one character in Valdemar, but all have strong female characters.

Any of the various Valdemar series by Mercedes Lackey. I recommend you begin with the Heralds of Valdemar series, starting with Arrows of the Queen. This series includes an important character who started life as a thief and still keeps his hand in occasionally. There is a separate book about him -- Take a Thief -- which is a prequel to the main series, but I really recommend you start with the Arrows of the Queen trilogy.

The Morgaine Saga by C.J. Cherryh, beginning with with Gate of Ivrel. This is about a female warrior and her liegeman who travel between world gates chasing some bad guys. A little different than a typical fantasy, but I really enjoyed it.

Chronicles of Elantra by Michelle Sagara (West), beginning with Cast in Shadow. Again this is an unusual fantasy, starring a female anti-hero who is gifted with a type of magic that no one in her world can explain and which she doesn't want. It's a fascinating world with several different races cooexisting less than amicably, under the dragon emperor.

The Pern series by Anne McCaffery, starting with Dragonflight. Some people consider this sci-fi rather than fantasy, since it takes place in the future of humanity. But I think most of them, especially the early ones have more of a flavor of fantasy, with the telepathic dragons, and an absence of high tech. This is a classic.

Riddle of Stars by Patricia McKillip, beginning with The Riddle-Master of Hed. One of my very favorites. Again, a somewhat atypical fantasy starring a charmingly reluctant hero who must try to save the world when he'd rather just stay in his bucolic little kingdom playing music and solving riddles. This one's from the 70s and 80s; I'm not sure it's still in print, but if you can find it it's well worth the effort.

The Belgariad by David Eddings, starting with Pawn of Prophecy. This is a classic. Another reluctant hero, shepherded by his grandfather, the sorcerer Belgarath, in a fairly standard quest fantasy. They are assisted by the young heroine and by Belgarath's daughter who is also a powerful sorcerer.

message 7: by Tina (new)

Tina Michael Sullivan's Riyria Revelations series. It is a six book series that starts with The Crown Conspiracy (or you can read the omnibus editions).

The main characters are Royce and Hadrian, a thief and a mercenary. Best friends, wicked banterers, and just all around two very clever guys. The book starts off very light-hearted with a cool theft and then the series turns into one of those big epic fantasy series.

message 8: by Tee (new)

Tee | 7 comments Elena wrote: "Oh and Mistborn: The Final Empire. I bet you would love that trilogy, it reminds me a little of Scott Lynch."

Yea I read Mistborn: The Final Empire also another book on my top 10. I'll take a look into the other book you recommended though. Thanks.

message 9: by Tee (new)

Tee | 7 comments Maron wrote: "By the way, I recently discovered Robin Hobb's Farseer Trilogy (I'm now reading the Liveship Traders) and I'm in LOVE! :)"

Right! Fitz is one of my favourite characters in any book. And thanks for the recommendation.

message 10: by Tee (last edited Jul 27, 2014 06:35AM) (new)

Tee | 7 comments Kathy (Kindle-aholic) wrote: "Douglas Hulick's Among Thieves. If YA is OK, Ari Marmell's Thief's Covenant."

Among Thieves is actually on my to read list. I will look into Thief's Covenant but I'm not really a fan of YA. Thank you.

message 11: by Tee (new)

Tee | 7 comments Betsy wrote: "A few of my favorite fantasy series are below. None of these are about thieves or assassins really, except the one character in Valdemar, but all have strong female characters.

Any of the various..."

Wow thanks you have given me a lot to choose from :)

message 12: by Tee (new)

Tee | 7 comments Tina wrote: "Michael Sullivan's Riyria Revelations series. It is a six book series that starts with The Crown Conspiracy (or you can read the omnibus editions).

The main characters are Royce ..."

Yea I saw that book, I think it maybe the book I decide to read in the end :D

Kathy (Kindle-aholic) (kindleaholic) Tee wrote: "Kathy (Kindle-aholic) wrote: "Douglas Hulick's Among Thieves. If YA is OK, Ari Marmell's Thief's Covenant."

Among Thieves is actually on my to read li..."

I would say that while technically it might be YA, it doesn't follow the usual YA tropes. It's more like an adult fantasy but with no romance and the pace is faster. :)

message 14: by Betsy (new)

Betsy | 184 comments The Lies of Locke Lamora, by Scott Lynch. I haven't read this, but it is recommended by Book Riot, and it looks like fun.

message 15: by Jace (new)

Jace Bullough (jaceb247) | 9 comments I have to add two amazing series that I'm surprised haven't been mentioned. The first would be "Throne of Glass" by Sarah J Maas. With a strong female lead, about a competition to become the Kings assassin. Great depth of character, with a lot of growth along the way.

The other one is "The Riyria Revelations" by Michael J Sullivan, multiple points of view, hilarious as you read through it. It's about a couple of thieves, one who used to be an assassin, the other a mercenary. And they make a luxurious living by being hired out to steal from royalty by other royalty. Good luck putting it down.

message 16: by Sophie (new)

Sophie (notemily) | 24 comments Riyria was mentioned in message 7.

message 17: by Lexxi Kitty (new)

Lexxi Kitty (lexxikitty) | 7 comments Masques (Sianim, #1) by Patricia Briggs by Patricia Briggs
"After an upbringing of proper behavior and oppressive expectations, Aralorn fled her noble birthright for a life of adventure as a mercenary spy.

Her latest mission involves spying on the increasingly powerful sorcerer Geoffrey ae'Magi."

Steal the Dragon (Sianim, #2) by Patricia Briggs by Patricia Briggs
Loosely connected to the previous book listed above. Different main character. Still a spy.

The Thief (The Queen's Thief, #1) by Megan Whalen Turner by Megan Whalen Turner
"The king's scholar, the magus, believes he knows the site of an ancient treasure. To attain it for his king, he needs a skillful thief, and he selects Gen from the king's prison. The magus is interested only in the thief's abilities."

message 18: by Tina (new)

Tina Lindsay Buroker The Emperor's Edge series. Steampunk/fantasy. Features a cobbled together group of outlaws who are trying to clear their names. Includes a kick-ass assassin named Sicarius. Good high fantasy but also quite humorous. Main character is a female who can talk her way out of anything.

The Palace Job by Patrick Weeks. A Caper fantasy. A group of condemned persons break out of an unbreakable jail. Reminiscent of Oceans 11. Also features a main character who is trying to clear her name. Also has a good undertone of humor among all the adventure and derring-do.

message 19: by Edie (new)

Edie (auntedie) The Killing Moon (Dreamblood, #1) by N.K. Jemisin
The Killing Moon by N.K. Jemisin

Betsy mentioned The Lies of Locke Lamora but said she hadn't read it. I have and remember liking it. But maybe not so much the sequels? That was before goodreads and I'm hopeless with remembering books - which is why I use GR now. But honestly, it probably fits what you are looking for perfectly.

Lexxi Kitty mentioned Turner's The Thief which I thoroughly enjoyed (the sequels too!) but I don't think it is even YA. More like middle school age. But if you ever need something quick and easy (often when I'm sick and high on NyQuil I find adult books too much for my mushy brain to process) these would be a great option.

message 20: by Diane (new)

Diane | 4 comments The books by R.A. Salvatore about Drizzt Do'Urden, especially those featuring Artemis Enteri and Jarlaxle Baenre.

message 21: by Mona (new)

Mona | 3 comments Well---not exactly thieves and assasins...but a professional torturer. Gene Wolfe's series "The Book of the New Sun". Start with Book One, "The Shadow of the Torturer". The best fantasy around.

message 22: by Mir (new)

Mir | 189 comments Here's some more non-recent suggestions:

Thieves' World
The Fire's Stone
The Book of Jhereg
Maybe Swordspoint -- the main character is not precisely an assassin but a duelist-for-hire, and there is stealing and killing going on.

message 23: by Mona (new)

Mona | 3 comments Also by Ellen Kushner and in the same series as "Swordspoint" there is "The Privilege of the Sword"

message 24: by Tee (new)

Tee | 7 comments I thought this thread was dead, I was about to come ask for more recommendations.

Thanks for all the new posts I'll look into them right now :)

message 25: by Maisie (new)

Maisie Honey (maisiehoneyxx) | 1 comments Its not really that similar to Gentlemen Bastards or any of the others but my favourite Assassin book/ character has to be Celena Sardothien in the Throne of Glass series, and is also fantasy.

message 26: by Edina (new)

Edina Kerezsi | 1 comments Hi, all! I hope this thread isn't dead.
I wanted to reread a book, but simply can't remember it's title. Can anyone recommend it for me?
It was about a young woman assassin who as sent to kill the king. She was controled by a man with her brother's life. She goes to the palace with a group of dancers, but can't kill him, and is captured. Then, of course as the plot unfolds, they fall in love. She somehow gets back to the noble (I don't remember how), and he sends his brother to kill the king. When he is also captured, they uncover all the secrets and rescue the girl.

Does it sound familiar to anyone? Thank you in advance. :)

message 27: by Betsy (new)

Betsy | 184 comments Edina wrote: "Hi, all! I hope this thread isn't dead.
I wanted to reread a book, but simply can't remember it's title. Can anyone recommend it for me?
It was about a young woman assassin who as sent to kill th..."

I don't know the answer, but have you checked in the following group:

https://www.goodreads.com/group/show/...

message 28: by Michael (new)

Michael Van Cleve | 6 comments Be nice if you guys could take a look at this: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01LWDPCFF

message 30: by Melliott (last edited Sep 17, 2016 04:44PM) (new)

Melliott (goodreadscommelliott) | 53 comments I can't believe that no one has mentioned The Queen's Thief series, by Megan Whalen Turner. It starts with The Thief, and continues with The Queen of Attolia, The King of Attolia, and A Conspiracy of Kings. I loved the first book, myself, but with every book the story gets better and better. Turner apparently has two more books planned for this series, but it's taking forever (the last book was published in 2010!). No matter how long, however, it will be worth the wait. I have read this series three times now, and would read it again in yearly intervals.

It has a thief (hence the title), an assassin or two, love, intrigue, politics, everything you could want. It's set in a mythical land that vaguely resembles Greece, where three different kingdoms are trying to hold their own against each other, while resisting the Macedonians from the mainland taking control. It's incredibly clever and beautifully written. I regularly advise people to read it!

message 31: by Melliott (new)

Melliott (goodreadscommelliott) | 53 comments Whoops, I noticed someone did mention the first book above. Sorry! But the whole series is mandatory.