Valar Morghulis--Valar Dohaeris discussion

Game of Thrones (TV series) > Season 5 Cast

Comments Showing 1-26 of 26 (26 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Jackie (new)

Jackie (thelastwolf) Game of Thrones has been adding new cast members every season even faster than it’s been killing them off (which is saying something), and Season 5 is no exception. On Friday, HBO released the names of a slew of new actors who will be featured in Season 5, many of them playing members of the Martell family. (Viewers will definitely remember the gruesome death of Oberyn Martell at the end of Season 4.)

Here’s a full list of the nine new cast members:

Alexander Siddig as Doran Martell, the older brother of Prince Oberyn

Toby Sebastian as Trystane Martell, Doran’s son

Nell Tiger Free as Myrcella Baratheon, Cersei and Jaime Lannister’s eldest child

DeObia Oparei as Areo Hotah, the captain of Doran Martell’s palace guard

Enzo Cilenti as Yezzan, a former slave trader

Jessica Henwick as Nymeria Sand, second eldest of Oberyn Martell’s bastard daughters

Rosabell Laurenti Sellers as Tyene Sand, another daughter of Oberyn

Keisha Castle-Hughes as Obara Sand, Oberyn’s eldest daughter of

Jonathan Pryce as the High Sparrow, a religious leader in King’s Landing

Vid here:
http://time.com/3038171/game-of-thron...

message 2: by Chris , The Kingslayer (new)

Chris  (haughtc) | 903 comments Trystane but no Arianne?

message 3: by mark (new)

mark monday (happy-end-of-the-world) | 343 comments I'm sure she'll be in it if they are going to feature Dorne. probably yet to be cast.

I wonder who they'll get to play that buffoon Darkstar.

I'm excited to see Pryce joining the cast, and in a quasi-villainous role.

I love Siddig but he seems way too young for Doran. ah well. I'm sure he'll be great.

message 4: by Chris , The Kingslayer (new)

Chris  (haughtc) | 903 comments I do like the idea of Dr. Bashir playing Doran.

message 5: by Ale (new)

Ale (Khaleessi) | 5 comments With that new cast we can guest a little of what will happen the next season

They seem good

But i am really thinking about the idea of no Arianne, maybe they just chose another of the sister to play her, cause those who read the book know that there is material In the book for the kind of scenes that the show likes

But i like the idea of Doran Martell (((:

And kinda sad that they had to change Myrcella

message 6: by Silvana (new)

Silvana (silvaubrey) No Arianne. They made Trystane the heir. There will be a Twilight-esque love story between him and Myrcella next season. No signs of the Iron Islanders. I am done with the show. Rather waiting for The World of Ice and Fire and The Winds of Winter while rereading the series and prequels.

And now my watch begins.

message 7: by Chris , The Kingslayer (new)

Chris  (haughtc) | 903 comments ...and yet the whole basis behind the Myrcella in Dorne storyline is the fact that a woman can be the heir, as illustrated by Arianne. She's almost as important to the story as Lady Stoneh....

oh wait...n/m

message 8: by Cheryl (new)

Cheryl Hall | 32 comments I'm livid that Arianne and Quentyn have most likely been cut.

My favourite thing about Dorne is that women are treated equally and can inherit if they are the first born.

Without the Rhoynar succession rights spurring a plot, what is going to happen to Myrcella in S5?

message 9: by Chris , The Kingslayer (new)

Chris  (haughtc) | 903 comments That also means that the only significant female presence in Dorne will all be bastard-born.

message 10: by Ale (new)

Ale (Khaleessi) | 5 comments Yes they are cutting important characters like Lady St..... But i an still yet hoping they are looking for Arianne, it is true the heir it is an important topic there, and all you are saying she is important in Dorne!
I already accepted the fact of the show is different to the books, but i can not believe D&D is missing sex scenes with her

message 11: by Remy (new)

Remy Blas (remyblas) | 203 comments I'm still not sure they're gonna leave Arianne and Quentyn out entirely. I mean, I know they say Trystane is the "heir" but maybe whoever wrote that description didn't think it through. Maybe he's just "one" heir. You know, like the Freys always consider themselves as heirs even if they're 124th in the list of candidates and lord Walder seems to be immortal.

I mean, Arianne is great and if they leave Quentyn out we won't get to see (view spoiler).

Maybe Quentyn will not be in this season but in the next, and Arianne... well... I hope not, but yeah, they could use one of the Sand Snakes to fill her place, though that would be stupid (Not that something being stupid has stopped them from making changes before).

message 12: by Ale (new)

Ale (Khaleessi) | 5 comments Yeah, i think maybe they could leave Quentyn till next season like maybe but it still hopes for Arianne i hope, she is such a great character, she is even like the firs POVs in Winds of Winter, i am dealing with not Lady S but Arianne is alive always been, i don't know my hope won't die

message 13: by Chris , The Kingslayer (new)

Chris  (haughtc) | 903 comments I feel like Arianne may still be cast. Because you'll note that list also has no Arys Oakheart.

Or did I hear that they're sending Meryn Trant to Dorne instead?

message 14: by mark (new)

mark monday (happy-end-of-the-world) | 343 comments I'll defend this show forever but just the idea that Arianne could be left out, or even worse that Trystane could now be the heir... that just drives me crazy. far worse than no Lady Stoneheart (and I thought that was a strange decision). and worse than the poor direction that led to a scene that was needlessly misconstrued as rape (Jaime & Cersei).

Arianne (and Dorne) exists as a real and workable alternative to the Westeros patriarchy. she shows that there can be a reality that a woman can be an heir. the books have a host of strong women but they are often strong 'despite being a woman' (and are disrespected by the male characters because they are strong women). Arianne and the whole Dorne deal illustrate that that is not the only path that can be taken when it comes to gender and expectations of who can be a leader. taking Arianne out not just disrespects a key part of what GRRM was trying to say, it shows an ignorance around why these things even need to be said. it would just such a frustrating and thoughtless decision on the part of the show-runners.

so I am really, really hoping that everyone is wrong and Arianne will appear. but if not... ugh.

message 15: by Cheryl (new)

message 16: by Chris , The Kingslayer (new)

Chris  (haughtc) | 903 comments I love it!

message 17: by Silvana (new)

Silvana (silvaubrey) From what I have heard, They will send Jaime and Bronn to Dorne. Uhuh. Right.

message 18: by mark (new)

mark monday (happy-end-of-the-world) | 343 comments wut? oh God.

message 19: by Cheryl (new)

Cheryl Hall | 32 comments Sending a Lannister to Dorne... that should end well.

message 20: by Silvana (new)

Silvana (silvaubrey) Which new cast you eagerly want to watch the most? Mine would be Alexander Shiddig as Doran and Jonathan Price as the High Sparrow.

message 21: by Amie (new)

Amie Pfeiffer (TheDrownedGoddess) | 249 comments I'm so excited to see Victarion and Euron! And Arienne Martell is going to be fierce in her see-through garments. The Griffs should be awesome with their blue hair. Strong Belwas finally! Qwentyn, try again with those Dragons, maybe you'll have better luck this time!

....oh wait, I forgot they cut some of the best new characters. *sigh

message 22: by Eyehavenofilter (new)

Eyehavenofilter | 325 comments The newest Entertainment Weekly has a double issue explaining some of the plots revamps....but its very weak.i was disappointed.

message 23: by mark (new)

mark monday (happy-end-of-the-world) | 343 comments does it say anything about Arianne?

message 24: by [deleted user] (new)

What about the addition of Adewale Akinnuoye-Agbaje as a new character named Malko? I don't see him on that list - is that not happening now? I like that actor (known best to fans of Lost and Oz) and was looking forward to his addition to the cast. Maybe he doesn't appear until a future season?
http://screenrant.com/game-thrones-ca...

message 25: by Maureen (new)

Maureen | 248 comments I am most excited to see the Sand Snakes. Cutting Arianne is a bad idea... I am thinking they might "blend" her character with one of the Sand Snakes to include part of her plot points from the book? Not my opinion of the best way to do things, but I think it's a possibility.

I got the EW Magazine this week and was disappointed. Read the GOT part front to back and it was lame!

message 26: by Jessica (new)

Jessica | 152 comments Just catching up with news as I get ready for Sunday. I am a little concerned going into the season now. I had heard that there will be some major character deaths that have not been in the book.

So....who on earth is safe now!?

Lannister to Dorne?!
...that's just asking for an axe to the head.