YA Book Addicts discussion

Book Talk (Series) > Daughter of Smoke and Bone

Comments Showing 1-32 of 32 (32 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Riya (new)

Riya | 846 comments Mod
Anyone else love this series? Thoughts on the last book??

message 2: by Rachel (new)

Rachel  (APCB Reviews) (gr8rach) This first book was interesting! I read it last summer and haven't continued with the rest of the series yet. The world-building was fantastic, and the characters are quite strong. And it takes place in PRAGUE :D Hmm I should really continue the series...

message 3: by electra, Champion of the Challenges (new)

electra | 623 comments Mod
I read the first book this year and it's one of the best books I read in 2014 so far. Karou was rad, and I liked how Laini Taylor didn't make her like the other "special" female YA main characters who didn't do anything. Karou was an artist, and not a stereotypical one, which was great; she also had real flaws (not just "clumsiness", which is a sad excuse for a flaw) and was just overall a relatable and fun character.
The side characters I loved, too - Zuzana, Mik, Brimstone and all the chimaera, even Akiva. I was mad at him because of the ending of the first book, though. I have to continue with the series soon to see if I can forgive him.

message 4: by Rachel (new)

Rachel  (APCB Reviews) (gr8rach) I was not expecting those twists near the end of the book 0_0

message 5: by electra, Champion of the Challenges (new)

Me neither haha, but it did mean there were more conflicts to be resolved throughout the rest of the series, which is good!

Oh, and I forgot to mention the writing, which was MARVELOUS. If there were things that bothered me about the book, the writing definitely made up for them.

message 6: by Rachel (new)

Rachel  (APCB Reviews) (gr8rach) I remember thinking the first half was really weird and the second half was amazing :)

message 7: by Rachel (new)

Rachel  (APCB Reviews) (gr8rach) I love that Karou's got blue hair !

message 8: by Rachel (new)

Rachel  (APCB Reviews) (gr8rach) Oops! SPOILER ^^

message 9: by Erin, Director of Fun and Games (new)

Erin (eisawesome) | 1215 comments Mod
I have never heard of this book. Can anyone tell me what it is about

message 10: by Lyndsay (new)

Lyndsay | 18 comments The last book in this series is the next thing on my list of things to read.

In answer to Erin: It is about a girl named Karou who lives in two worlds, ours and the world of the Wishmonger where she was raised by Chimera. She is trying to find out who she is while also trying to help her Chimera family who unbeknownst to her are in the midst of a war with the Angels. That is the best way I can explain it without giving too much away.

I really love this series so far though. I think it is one of the more interesting bits of world building I've read in a good long while. It is creative and captivating. Karou is a lovely main character who isn't without her flaws but it truly likeable and though the situations she is in are unrelatable she isn't. The romance is well done and believable within the world without being too over the top.

message 11: by Rachel (new)

Rachel  (APCB Reviews) (gr8rach) The last book is HUGE!! I look forward to reading it ;)

message 12: by Erin, Director of Fun and Games (new)

Erin (eisawesome) | 1215 comments Mod
Thanks Lydsay, I am so going to read this book

message 13: by Riya (new)

Riya | 846 comments Mod
Trust me- the last book is absolutely AMAZING!!! This series gets even better and better as the books go on, and the last one is just mindblowing!

message 14: by Maya (new)

Maya (ladycarstairs31) | 504 comments I'm about halfway through the first one right now. It's a little weird and confusing, but I'm told it takes time to get good but it happens. The writing style is very good though!

message 15: by electra, Champion of the Challenges (new)

I've seen people say that the first half was boring and the second amazing, and that the first part was amazing and the second one not so impressive. I personally liked the first part better, since the second one focused too much on the romance (although it was beautifully described!) and I enjoyed the world building and the introduction into Karou's life at the beginning.

message 16: by Maya (new)

Maya (ladycarstairs31) | 504 comments Yeah, I did like the first part, but it definitely needed the long flashback/explanatory scene at the end for it to make sense.

message 17: by electra, Champion of the Challenges (new)

true, it definitely cleared everything up for me

message 18: by Maya (new)

Maya (ladycarstairs31) | 504 comments it was just like one long 'ohhhhhh' moment

message 19: by electra, Champion of the Challenges (new)

exactly

message 20: by Maya (new)

Maya (ladycarstairs31) | 504 comments So is the second book any good?

message 21: by Cassidie (new)

Cassidie (cassidiejhones) | 14 comments I lived the first book, but I put off the second for a while. It's so slow and sometimes a bit confusing. Even more so than the first. I still love it, but it's not the time for me to read it.

message 22: by Maya (new)

Maya (ladycarstairs31) | 504 comments I haven't read the second one yet. should I?

message 23: by Riya (new)

Riya | 846 comments Mod
Maya wrote: "I haven't read the second one yet. should I?"

YES- it's AMAZING!

message 24: by Maya (new)

Maya (ladycarstairs31) | 504 comments I just got it from the library! :)

message 25: by Alison (new)

Alison Morquecho (thebookishcamper) | 77 comments bout half way into this book. took me awhile to get into it because of all the crazy names :) also I don't usually read books about angels, but I'm diggin this book so far. so curious to what's goin on with chick and who she is.

message 26: by Maya (new)

Maya (ladycarstairs31) | 504 comments I know right! The whole first few hundred pages I was like, "Please tell me what's going on!!" Don't worry, eventually they do. :)

message 27: by Kristy (new)

Kristy | 364 comments Is this a book that you would recomend?

message 28: by Miriam (new)

Miriam Passman (onetwigleekeber3) yes I read the first book. can't wait to read the second book

message 29: by Riya (new)

Riya | 846 comments Mod
The entire series is AMAZING!!

message 30: by Miriam (new)

Miriam Passman (onetwigleekeber3) I bet

message 31: by Maya (new)

Maya (ladycarstairs31) | 504 comments I still have to read Days of Blood and Starlight...It's been sitting on my side table for days.

message 32: by Miriam (new)

Miriam Passman (onetwigleekeber3) Maya me too