Women's Fiction Lovers discussion

Women's Fiction Suggestions That Don't Involve Romance?

Comments Showing 1-9 of 9 (9 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Tam (new)

Tam May (tammay) Hi Everyone,
I just joined the group. I'm an avid reader but the last 10 years or so I've been reading only classic fiction (that's what comes when you earn a degree in English...). I'm a writer of women's fiction and want to eventually self-publish. So I know that I need to get up to date on contemporary women's fiction and see what's being written now to help me with my own fiction.

I've been doing my research on contemporary women's fiction and it seems that many novels revolve around some kind of romantic relationship. They are not romances per se but a romantic relationship seems to play a big role in the main character's evolution. I'm not against romance at all, but I'm really looking for contemporary stories that offer more. My own fiction revolves around women exploring and going through journeys of self-discovery without romantic involvements, but finding inspiration and support from others (like family and friends, both male and female).

So if anyone has some suggestions of women's fiction novels where a romantic relationship plays less of a role or doesn't play a role at all, I would be very happy to hear about them!

Tam

message 2: by Glenda (new)

Glenda Hockett (goodreadscomgmhvols) | 2 comments Have you ever read Cathy Lamb? Some romance but not the main story. Love her she is great.

message 3: by Patricia (new)

Patricia | 2 comments do you have a contest where i can submit a new novel tht i just wrote and will be published in october?
pat rohner

message 4: by Patricia (new)

Patricia | 2 comments My novel is not fantasy and not romance
Family fiction

message 5: by Stephanie (new)

Stephanie (stephaniemlaws) | 1 comments Just started reading the Lake House by Kate Morton. No romance so far, more of a mystery but flips back and forth between the 1930s and 2006. It's getting interesting!

message 6: by Glenda (new)

Glenda Hockett (goodreadscomgmhvols) | 2 comments What is your novel?

message 7: by Judy (new)

Judy Christiana The books by Elizabeth Berg, that I've read (if I am remembering correctly) are more about life's journeys, then romance.

message 8: by Deborah (new)

Deborah Vance | 1 comments Hi everyone -- I'm new to this group and see that this post is old but I like the question because I prefer women's lit that isn't about romance. We're so much more than that! I'm currently reading "Tallgrass" by Sandra Dallas which takes place during WWII in the US and says a lot about women's relationships & social standing. Also recently read and loved "The Chaperone" by Laura Moriarty, takes place primarily in the '20s and shows a values clash between an older and younger woman. Oddly, now I see that both are historical fiction too.

message 9: by Kat (new)

Kat (artykat) | 1 comments I know this is an old question but I had the same issue a few years back. I discovered Jodi Picoult, and Sandra Dallas. Mary Sims and Ann .. oh, her name flew the coop! But she writes cozy mysteries set in the Cotswalds (not Agatha Rsisin books! Ha!). I’ll get back with you...