The Riyria Revelations discussion

Six books

Comments Showing 1-10 of 10 (10 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Heather (new)

Heather (ham1299) | 232 comments I was thinking today about how all six books have already been written. And that made me wonder. Did you just sit down and write the whole thing out, see how long it was, then decide to break it up into six books? Or, did you sit down with the intent to write separate books?

message 2: by Michael (new)

Michael (michaeljsullivan) | 347 comments Mod
I conceived of the series as one story told in six episodes. I knew the basic plot arc and what needed to be revealed in each episode and then built stories around them.

message 3: by Heather (new)

Heather (ham1299) | 232 comments Cool. Thanks! :-)

message 4: by Cameron (new)

Cameron (cswagner) | 6 comments Michael - Do you have any other works planned for the world of Elan, after you finished the Riyria Revelations? Maybe a prequel, or a another story told from a different characters point of view? What I am basically just wanting to know is what is next for you. I hope am I not asking this too prematurely, because I still know you have a lot of work left with this series, but it was just something that popped into mind.

message 5: by Michael (new)

Actually Cameron, I have another book that is already done. I finished it five years before I started The Crown Conspiracy. I will likely edit and publish it, but it is Contemporary Literary Fiction--nothing like the Riyria stuff. So fans of Royce and Hadrian will likely not care for it.

The next book I plan to write is Antithesis much of which is already worked out, I just need the time to write it. Again it has nothing to do with Riyria, but rather a contemporary fantasy. Still fans of Riyria will be able to enjoy it.

I have many more stories waiting in the que, but I know Robin would like me to return to the world of Elan, which by design has many openings for additions. The Story of Novron, the story of Jerish and Esrahaddon, Royce and Hadrian--"the early years," and of course a full-blown sequel series are all possible. All of this is completely dependent on how successful the series is. Right now it doesn't warrant any more work, so maybe it would be smarter for me to write something different to obtain an audience. Of course it hasn't even been a year yet. (funny because it feels like Crown came out so long ago.)

So I don't know. If over the next year or two Riyria takes off I may return to it, otherwise I'll branch out into new genres with single volume novels hoping to interest a big publisher, find a sizable audience and maybe even make something resembling a living wage doing this.

Just out of curiosity, what would you like me to write about? I ask this because a friend once insisted that I write a book about King Amrath (Alric's father) as he thought Amrath was a fascinating character that got short-changed. So if you could dictate what my next book is, what would it be?

message 6: by Cameron (new)

Cameron (cswagner) | 6 comments Well, I have only read the first book so I don't have a whole lot of ideas at the moment. However, I thought maybe a prequel centering around Esrahaddon and the old empire would be really neat.

message 7: by Heather (new)

Heather (ham1299) | 232 comments The Story of Novron would be cool, as would Royce and Hadrian's early years. I'd also like the story of Hadrian's father.

message 8: by Heather (new)

Heather (ham1299) | 232 comments I just thought of something else. When reading Avempartha. I'd love some more information on the Elves. The history of their relationship with Man, or something like that. (Of course, I say this not knowing whether there'll be some of that revealed further in the series.)

message 9: by Michael (new)

Heather wrote: "Of course, I say this not knowing whether there'll be some of that revealed further in the series."

Ah theres the rub.

message 10: by Adam (new)

Adam Franklin | 8 comments I can't imagine writing one book let alone six. I think it is really neat that you wrote them all first - but man that must have been a ton of work! I also read a post over in the fantasy group about the influence of Bablyon 5 and I loved that series. I think it is really cool that you have a big story arc and individual episodes.