What's the Name of That Book??? discussion

Query abandoned by poster > ABANDONED. Two young sisters- one dies?

Comments Showing 1-5 of 5 (5 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Lauren (new)

Lauren | 2 comments Hey guys! I really hope someone can help me here, as I've been looking for this book for ages! I read this book about nine or ten years ago and would love to read it again.
The book is about a young girl, probably around 12 or 13, who is staying with a family. I'm not sure if it was family friends or relatives.
Anyway, the family consists of a mother, a father, and two daughters (may be twins but I'm not positive) who are the same age/around the same age as the girl.
One of the sisters is really outgoing and the other is really quiet.
The girl staying with them is closer with the outgoing one.
At some point in the story the outgoing sister dies, although I can't remember how. I think she may have fallen off of a horse, but I could be wrong.
After her death her family and the girl all become sad, of course.
I remember there was a scene where they were eating dinner and the dad was silent and had a sad look in his eyes, and the living sister thought about a dinner when her sister was still alive and her sister was licking her plate clean to be funny and the dad was described as having a really strong laugh.

If anyone knows what book this is please let me know! Thanks for reading!

message 2: by Tab (new)

Tab (tabbrown) | 4873 comments Beat the Turtle Drum Beat the Turtle Drum by Constance C. Greene fits a little

Kirkus:
A nice, affecting, clearly remembered family story that shifts gears with a jolt. It starts as a relaxed, first-person narrative, dotted with 13-year-old Kate's childhood memories about her sister Joss, who is now all excited about the horse she's going to rent for a week as an 11th birthday gift. Then the horse and the birthday arrive and as Kate describes it, "we were all caught up in a net of summer contentment"in fact the idyll might threaten to grow monotonous if Kate hadn't just hinted at "something terrible." What it is marks the next break: (view spoiler), and the rest of the book chronicles the following days of family numbness and grief.

Was the story told from the perspective of the girl staying with the family, or the sister?

message 3: by Michele (new)

Michele | 2357 comments Not an exact match, but maybe A Summer to Die?

message 4: by Lobstergirl, au gratin (new)

Lobstergirl | 37757 comments Mod
Lauren, are you still looking for this or was it something suggested above?

message 5: by Lobstergirl, au gratin (new)

Lobstergirl | 37757 comments Mod
Lobstergirl wrote: "Lauren, are you still looking for this or was it something suggested above?"

No response in 3 years. Moving to Abandoned.