500 Great Books By Women discussion

The Bell Jar
This topic is about The Bell Jar
Trials and Adversity > The Bell Jar - Sylvia Plath

Comments Showing 1-13 of 13 (13 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Aubrey (last edited Dec 01, 2016 11:20PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Aubrey (korrick) | 2004 comments The Bell Jar, Sylvia Plath, 1963, United States, NOVEL

"...She is given shock treatment—"a great jolt [that] drubbed me till I thought my bones would break and the sap fly out of me like a split plant"—which causes her to wonder what she has done to deserve this...Her awareness throughout her ordeal that many of the accepted realities of life are not her realities makes her struggle even more heart-wrenching..."

(H.S., p. 289)

Review Cache
Aubrey
Zanna
Jen
Alex
Ruby
Samadrita
Yoana
Traveller
Brian
Saiber
Emma Deplores Goodreads Censorship
Venne
Chinook
Connie
Ruby
Chloe (spoilers)
Lily
lisa_emily
Garima
Anuja Papriwal
Mel
Mala
Lisa
Jen
Xandra
kenneth
Sandra
Nicole
Audrey Schoeman
Nicole~
Laura
Hestia
Heather
Annie
Shinjini
Kylie

Aubrey (korrick) | 2004 comments I am submitting my review for this work: https://www.goodreads.com/review/show...

Aubrey (korrick) | 2004 comments Thank you for your review, Zanna. It has been inputted above.

Zanna (zannastar) | 180 comments That's so neat :-)
This is one of the books I lived on in my teens and find myself re-orienting to in my 'adult' life. Still, I'm a long way from considering another re-read of it

Aubrey (korrick) | 2004 comments Thanks for your review, Jen. It has been incorporated above.

Alex Oh hey, I love this book. Here's my review: https://www.goodreads.com/review/show...

"Once in a while someone comes along whose voice is so distinctive that it changes the way people talk."

Aubrey (korrick) | 2004 comments Thank you for your review, Ruby. It has now been incorporated above.

Aubrey (korrick) | 2004 comments Thank you for your review, Samadrita. It has been inputted above.