What's the Name of That Book??? discussion

A Serpent of Satan
This topic is about A Serpent of Satan
SOLVED: Adult Fiction > SOLVED. Regency book: Stepmom mistreat and hide the girl and her want-as-lover fall in love with the girl? [s]

Comments Showing 1-20 of 20 (20 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Yasmim (yahself) | 11 comments Ok Guys, I hope somebody can help me here, I've been looking for this book every where!
So, around 7yrs ago I read a book that I really liked but never found it again.

I think the story happens around the "Regency" time in London.
The book is about a girl (around 16-23yrs old, cant remember for sure) that is really mistreat by her stepmom! I think the father died and then the stepmother is still somewhat young so she hides the girl from everyone and makes her go hungry, she doesn't want anyone to k ow about the girl. But then, the stepmom has a new target for a lover, and this rake by mistake sees the girl, he gets curious and keep looking for the (thin n starved girl)...
So, blá blá blá, he falls in love and tries to save her by running away with her... And hidding her in his country house!

I remember this part, one of the short times he spoke with her, it was at a park and she was with a dog I think...

I really really wanna find this book! Help me!

******SPOILER WARNING *******

Later he joins her at his country house and also end up married with her :)

Yasmim (yahself) | 11 comments Nobody??

message 3: by Ann aka Iftcan (new)

Ann aka Iftcan (iftcan) | 6990 comments Mod
Yasmin--summers tend to be a bit slow for finding books in our group. More people will start checking back in with us again now that school is about to start and things are calming down. Just bump up your thread again in another 30 days or so, and keep doing that until someone recognizes it.

Sometimes books are found right away, sometimes it takes a while. Just don't give up.

message 4: by [deleted user] (new)

I would like to read this book... so hopefully someone finds out what it is.

Pamela(AllHoney) (pamelap) | 103 comments If this is considered a Romance then you may want to check here too

https://www.goodreads.com/group/show/...

message 6: by Kris (new)

Kris | 30845 comments Mod
An Offer From a Gentleman by Julia Quinn?

Yasmim, does your book closely follow the Cinderella story?
How do the hero and heroine first meet? Does he realize who she is?

message 7: by Wendy (new)

Wendy Carter-clement (readerjunkie) | 19 comments Boy I would love to read this

message 8: by Yasmim (last edited Aug 31, 2014 02:00PM) (new) - rated it 2 stars

Yasmim (yahself) | 11 comments Kris wrote: "An Offer From a Gentleman by Julia Quinn?

Yasmim, does your book closely follow the Cinderella story?
How do the hero and heroine first meet? Does he realize who she is?"

Hey Kris,

I just started checking your suggestion, by the blurb I can't tell n this book was on my "to read list" so I'll be answering you in a few hours.
And 'bout the questions.

It not the same as Cinderella (the child classic) since there are no sisters, the prince is not exactly a prince n the stepmother seems to almost forget about the girl sometimes. But yes, it is similar!

I think I remember the hero meeting the girl for the first time on her house hall ( arranging flowers, for whatever reason), but I do not remember well after so may years. And he has no idea for who she may be.

"................................."

Just finished it!
As much as I liked this book by Julia Quinn, for sure is not the one I'm looking for. Thanks tho, Kris!!!!

Yasmim (yahself) | 11 comments Ann aka Iftcan wrote: "Yasmin--summers tend to be a bit slow for finding books in our group. More people will start checking back in with us again now that school is about to start and things are calming down. Just bump ..."

Thank you a lot Ann! I'll do as u said.

Yasmim (yahself) | 11 comments Not found yet! But thanks all for trying to help!

Yasmim (yahself) | 11 comments Kris wrote: "Princess Charming by Beth Pattillo?"

Hey Kris! Not this one, the girl in the book I'm looking for is the quiet n not so strong to fight back type. But thanks a lot. I really enjoyed this one you told.

Kagama-the Literaturevixen | 602 comments I think this might be a Barbara Cartland? Title escapes me at the moment though

Kagama-the Literaturevixen | 602 comments Call Of The Heart?

I know she did a lot of these abused heroines and several where she gets involved with the stepmothers lover to be.

Yasmim (yahself) | 11 comments Kagama-the Literaturevixen wrote: "I think this might be a Barbara Cartland? Title escapes me at the moment though"

Hey Kagama,
I do have a bunch of B. Cartland books, but not this one, I'll check it tho. But for sure is not Call of the heart, cuz in the book I'm looking for she didnt have any family beside the Stepmother.

Yasmim (yahself) | 11 comments Bump.

Yasmim (yahself) | 11 comments Bump

message 18: by Cynthia (new)

Cynthia (cynnich) | 39 comments I don't know the book but it does seem like it may be a Cartland. You may want to check the synopses on her author page.

message 19: by Yasmim (last edited May 03, 2015 09:38PM) (new) - rated it 2 stars

Yasmim (yahself) | 11 comments Dear Book Buddies,

Thanks to everyone help and a lot of searching I finally found the book.
As some of you guys suggested I searched in my B.Cartland stack.
At first I did not found it, and even tho it seems like her wrtiting, I gave up.
.....For a while.....
Those last few days I had lot of free time and started searching in her goodread's page book list, one by one. I had to read it all, because the description is not always essencial to the history, and I did good. I never thought it would be this book, nor did the name bring any memory spark or the description....but finally, finally, I found it.
It's a little bit different of my described memory here. and I'm sorry about that.
- The Dad is prtty much alive and the mom is even more evil that I remembered! (Hahaha)

So I'll stop writing and bubbling about our success....the book is:

A Serpent of Satan by Barbara Cartland

Again, tks for everyone help. One mission acomplished!

Kagama-the Literaturevixen | 602 comments Yasmim wrote: "Dear Book Buddies,

I am glad you found it :)