The Not a Book Club Club discussion

Author Self Promotion

Comments Showing 1-8 of 8 (8 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Rob, Mayor of Ghost Town (new)

Rob (robzak) | 6373 comments Mod
So I want to elicit some feedback from the members. My general policy has been zero tolerance on self promotion in the group.

I delete any offending posts and send a warning to the person to inform them of the group policy and that they'll will be banned if they do it again.

I plan to continue that policy. Our group is small and there are plenty of other places to self promote your work.

However, we have created that Giveaways thread. What are people's thoughts on authors linking a give away for their own books there?

I don't mind being a zero tolerance no matter what sort of thing, but wanted to see what everyone else thinks.

message 2: by Sumant (new)

Sumant | 522 comments Well although I haven't gone to the give away thread as often but I think you should continue with this zero tolerance policy as our group continues to read books which we actually want to read instead of being influenced by someone.

message 3: by Rob, Mayor of Ghost Town (new)

Alright thanks. I just want to make sure I'm on the same page as everyone else.

message 4: by Dara (new)

Dara (cmdrdara) I'm for zero tolerance. I made that thread so we can share giveaways for books that would interest our members and give everyone a chance to win something they likely want to read anyway. Authors self promoting there is spammy to me.

message 5: by Rob, Mayor of Ghost Town (new)

Dara wrote: "I'm for zero tolerance. I made that thread so we can share giveaways for books that would interest our members and give everyone a chance to win something they likely want to read anyway. Authors s..."

It would probably be helpful if you update the text of the original thread to better reflect the purpose of the thread.

message 6: by Mpauli (new)

Mpauli | 241 comments I agree with zero tolerance. I'm moderator in another group and just had the author self-promotion discussion there yesterday.

I totally agree that there are enough places these days to promote and the smaller groups should stay reader focused.
I have no issues when somewhere in a discussion it comes up organically that someone from the group is an author, but I'm against self-promotion only for the sake of it.

message 7: by Dara (new)

Dara (cmdrdara) @Rob - I will definitely do that when I have my computer.

message 8: by Richard (new)

Richard Eyres (richardeyres) I agree with everyone else. Zero tolerance unless it comes up organically.