Free Reformed Church of Calgary discussion

Reformed Dogmatics, Vol. 2 > Meeting: August 30, '14

Comments Showing 1-5 of 5 (5 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Alex, Moderator (new)

Alex | 356 comments Mod
Hi everyone,

We're planning our next meeting for Saturday, August 30 from 8:30-11 AM. We'll be having breakfast together!

The Hicks have graciously agreed to host us again at their home (in SE Calgary). During that meeting, we'll be discussing the topics of "Human Origins," "Human Nature," and "Human Destiny."

See you soon!
Alex

message 2: by Hans, Pastor and Moderator (new)

Hans Overduin | 24 comments Mod
Thanks for the last summary, dear Br. Alex. It is most helpful. God willing, I hope to be there on Saturday morning, August 30 @ 8:30 a.m.
Quotes to ponder:
"Scripture knows but one ideal for a human being, and that is eternal life." Bavinck adds six Scripture references here---page 565.
I had to think about this one on page 564. "After the resurrection both stomach and food will be destroyed (I Cor. 6:13)." Is the exegesis correct here?

message 3: by Alex, Moderator (new)

Alex | 356 comments Mod
That's an interesting question that I've pondered a bit before.

I think that all of our earthly appetites are intended to point us to God, as He is the only one that can truly and perfectly satisfy us. When Paul writes about the "stomach" and "food," I think he is referring to temporary bodily appetites. We eat to satisfy our stomachs, but we will hunger again. We drink to quench our thirst, but we will thirst again. We sleep to rest our bodies, but we will tire again. But, all these point towards God as the ultimate, decisive, and final Fulfiller.

In 1 Corinthians 6:13a, Paul writes, "Food is for the stomach, and the stomach is for food; but God will do away with both of them." I think that Paul is teaching that while our bodies have natural appetites for food, and that appetite is temporarily satisfied with food, this is not the intended final condition of mankind. Rather, our earthly appetites are intended to remind us that we need a greater Bread that can only be satisfied by God. The stomach, as created by God for man, serves God's own purposes. Paul then teaches that the body, as a whole, belongs to God (1 Corinthians 6:13b-18).

It seems like Paul makes a similar comparison in Philippians 3:13-21. Here, Paul speaks of the final goal of all Christians is Jesus Christ (Philippians 3:13-14). He urges all to follow in his example and not to fall away (verses 15-17). Then he warns that those that formerly walked according to his example, but eventually fell away, have become enemies of the cross (verses 18-19). However, in verse 19, Paul states that those who have fallen away have made for themselves a false "god" that is their "appetite" because they have "set their minds on earthly things." He concludes by reminding his readers that our citizenship is in heaven, and that our appetites/longings will be met because Jesus Christ, whom we "eagerly wait for" awaits us (verse 20). At that time, when we are established in the final glorified state, we will be fully satisfied (verse 21; cf. 4:11-13).

Adam was created with bodily needs (for food, water, clothing, etc). These point towards God who permanently and perfectly satisfies us. Jesus is true food and drink (John 6:35,41,48,55; c.f. John 4:13 and Isaiah 55:2); He provides true clothing (Romans 13:14; Galatians 3:27; Colossians 3:10; Ephesians 4:24); He gives true rest (Matthew 11:28; c.f. Hebrews 4:8-11). All the needs of this physical world remind us of our need for God.

In ages past, God foreshadowed this by providing food from heaven to His people (Psalm 78:24-25; c.f. 1 Corinthians 10:3,17), water from a "Rock" (Exodus 17:6; c.f. 1 Corinthians 10:4), and ensured that the clothing of His people would not wear out (Deuteronomy 8:4). This all took place after the Exodus (which I think typologically represents "new creation" and alludes to the final state of glorified humanity). Eventually, when all things are consummated at the eschaton, we will be served a perfect feast (Revelation 19:9), clothed with perfect linens (Revelation 19:8), and marriage will cease (Matthew 22:30). Earthly food, drink, clothing, and even marriage will no longer be needed. They are imperfect shadows; but on that perfect and glorious day, shadows will no longer be required because everything they pointed to will be decisively, irreversibly, and perfectly fulfilled in Christ.

message 4: by Hans, Pastor and Moderator (new)

Hans Overduin | 24 comments Mod
Thanks for your response Alex. I heartily agree with all you wrote too. It still leaves questions about the life of the resurrected body in heaven....but with all speculations I come back to I Cor. 2:9 as my final response and comfort and joyful anticipation in and through Christ Jesus as our Saviour and Lord. That verse isn't only speaking of life in glory, I know, but it does ultimately refer to that as well, don't you think so too? What a future "hope of glory" God's people have, by God's grace! How comforting while living still in this vale of tears here and now!
Strength and blessing for the remainder of the week!
With brotherly regards,
pho
ps--Will you send out a reminder to all about the breakfast meeting this Saturday, DV?

message 5: by Alex, Moderator (new)

Alex | 356 comments Mod
Oh yes! Thanks for the reminder. I just sent out the email!