Young Writers discussion

Dystopia > My Idea. Opinion?

Comments Showing 1-3 of 3 (3 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Allison (new)

Allison | 679 comments Okay, so I have an idea for a dystopia that I'm hoping isn't too cliche.

It's placed after the American Government has fallen due to (insert random political reasons). Now, there's terrorists attacking, crime rate is going up, it's hard to get food, etc. etc. The whole goal of the main characters is to help create a new government so chaos goes down. And somehow I want to throw robot monster things and time travel in there. (Any ideas on that?)

Would you read this? Any suggestions for the main conflict?

message 2: by Grace (new)

Grace (Fives) | 1090 comments Okay, so maybe the government or evil gang could have been working on making the best solider and a robot monster thing could be one of them. Time travel is one of my favorite things, there's so much you could do with that! Paradoxes are awesome, like going back in time and shooting yourself, that couldn't happen because your past self wouldn't be in the future because you killed yourself, and blah blah! Real crazy, huh? I love that kind of stuff.
In a whole lot of dystopia books I've read there are always some bad gang or something controlling all the crime and chaos...
Like the mafia or something, but the best way to make that original is to make the leader person really interesting or hatable or perhaps make them have a sad backstory so the reader will be sad and care for him, "He has a good reason to be bad!" And such.
The main character, she/he shouldn't be able to make a new government easily. The people creating chaos should try and stop her/him from doing that. She/he should have a group of people helping/trying to make the new government. One thing I always love in books is when someone betrays the main character! Though, I don't know if you should do that...
I would read it if it's well written and the main character isn't annoying, those are about the only problems in dystopian books.
Hopefully I helped a bit.

message 3: by Allison (new)

Allison | 679 comments Thanks! I already have the main two characters fleshed out because I had them in a short story, but I just need...world building...