The F-word discussion

Natasha Holme
This topic is about Natasha Holme
BLATANT SELF-PROMOTION > Lesbian Crush Diaries, by Natasha Holme

Comments Showing 1-24 of 24 (24 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Natasha (new)

Natasha Holme (natashaholme) | 281 comments My second book is out: Lesbian Crushes at School: A Diary on Growing Up Gay in the Eighties (1983-1989).

This is the 'prequel' to Lesbian Crushes and Bulimia: A Diary on How I Acquired my Eating Disorder (1989-1990).

OFFER:
If you would like to receive Lesbian Crushes at School, in exchange for a review on Amazon UK /Amazon US /Goodreads (or preferably all three!), please email me at natasha@lesbiancrushdiaries.com, letting me know whether you would prefer mobi, epub, or pdf. THANK YOU.

paperback:
www.amazon.co.uk/dp/1500350494

ebook:
www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B00M28EKMC

BOOK DESCRIPTION:

In 1983 thirteen-year-old Natasha is in love with her French teacher, Miss Williams. When Natasha is cruelly banished from Miss Williams's class forever, the love develops into obsession ... stalking ... unhealthy behaviour ... and painfully misguided cries for attention.

This uncomfortable yet light-hearted memoir in diary form is primarily a record of obsession.

Natasha is a love-sick lesbian teenager in an all-girls school in the eighties, juggling her Latin homework, Bible study, a crush on Elaine Paige, and her suppressed sexuality. How can she make sense of it all?

But more importantly ... tormented by unrequited love ... how can Natasha make Miss Williams love her back? Take a sneaky peek inside ...

(DISCLAIMER: I was introduced to feminism AFTER I wrote these diaries!)

message 2: by Natasha (new)

Natasha Holme (natashaholme) | 281 comments I asked my local bookshop if they would be interested in stocking my paperbacks. And they said YES.

:-)

message 3: by Alexa (new)

Alexa (AlexaNC) Ohhh, that must feel so satisfying! Congratulations!

message 4: by Natasha (new)

Natasha Holme (natashaholme) | 281 comments Alexa wrote: "Ohhh, that must feel so satisfying! Congratulations!"

Only my life's work and wildest dream, Alexa :-)

message 5: by Natasha (new)

Natasha Holme (natashaholme) | 281 comments How my diary-writing obsession started:

www.lesbiancrushdiaries.com/how-my-di...

message 6: by Natasha (new)

Natasha Holme (natashaholme) | 281 comments My third book is out: Lesbian Crushes in France: A Diary on Screwing Up my Year Abroad (1990-1991). If you would like a copy in exchange for a review, please let me know at natasha@lesbiancrushdiaries.com whether you prefer mobi, epub, pdf.

BOOK DESCRIPTION:

In 1990 twenty-year-old Natasha finds herself in France on her university year abroad. She is ANGRY. Everyone should be a lesbian, or she will punish them for their oversight (particularly her bemused fellow English assistant friend, Ange).

The frites and the pâtisseries are not helping Natasha recover from her bulimia. And the door-to-door Mormon missionaries are bedevilling her reluctant search for God.

Natasha does not respond well to the frosty demands of the headmaster of the school where she is teaching.

She passes her time befriending a pair of thieving drop-outs on the run from the law, skinning up grilled banana skins, dodging flashers, and hitch-hiking around Europe.

message 7: by Natasha (new)

Natasha Holme (natashaholme) | 281 comments You can now buy all three of my dysfunctional teenage and young adult diaries in one collection:
Lesbian Crush Diaries: School, Bulimia, France

The ebook is astounding value at £1.99 /$2.99.

The paperback is appallingly overpriced at £13.70 /$24.68 (the minimum that Amazon would allow for 752 pages).

EBOOK:
UK: www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B00WDCM984
US: www.amazon.com/dp/B00WDCM984

PAPERBACK:
UK: www.amazon.co.uk/dp/1511700998
US: www.amazon.com/dp/1511700998

message 8: by Natasha (new)

Natasha Holme (natashaholme) | 281 comments New post on my blog:

Am I gay?

... on how difficult it was for me, from the age of five, to work out whether I was gay or not.

message 9: by Natasha (new)

message 10: by Natasha (new)

Natasha Holme (natashaholme) | 281 comments New post on my blog:

Reasons NOT to keep a diary

message 11: by Natasha (new)

Natasha Holme (natashaholme) | 281 comments I have just published a new book—a Q&A collaboration with Helena Whitbread, author of The Secret Diaries of Miss Anne Lister . Anne was a wealthy lesbian diarist who lived two centuries before our time.

Helena and I investigate Anne’s and my obsession with keeping detailed encoded diaries about every aspects of our lives, including our lesbian sexuality. The book is illustrated with photographs of Anne’s and my diaries. Section headings include:

--Early sexuality
--Keeping a diary in the age of technology
--The mentality behind keeping a detailed diary
--Encoding
--Similarities and differences in Anne’s and Natasha’s diaries
--Obsessiveness
--How Anne managed her lesbian sexuality
--Adult sexuality
--Christianity
--Helena’s reaction to Anne’s and Natasha’s diaries

PAPERBACK (£4.99)
UK: www.amazon.co.uk/dp/1539873366
US: www.amazon.com/dp/1539873366

EBOOK (£1.99)
UK: www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B01N78B99Q
US: www.amazon.com/dp/B01N78B99Q

“When I first heard that you have been keeping a diary from a young age and, furthermore, that you had used an esoteric code, I was immediately interested. I was further intrigued by the fact that you are a lesbian and wrote about your sexual life. It seemed to me that a modern parallel could be drawn with Anne Lister, the early 19th century lesbian diarist who had written a great deal about her lesbian sexuality in her journals, couched in a secret code of her own devising. I thought it would be interesting to see how far this hypothesis could be taken and wondered if you would be willing to join me in an exploration of the similarities and differences, as diarists and as lesbians, between yourself and a woman who lived some two hundred years before your time.”
Helena Whitbread

Secret Diaries Past & Present book cover

message 12: by El (new)

El | 756 comments Mod
Wow, that's great, Natasha! Congratulations on your new publication. Sounds fascinating!

message 13: by Natasha (new)

Natasha Holme (natashaholme) | 281 comments El wrote: "Wow, that's great, Natasha! Congratulations on your new publication. Sounds fascinating!"

Thank you, El. It's certainly a personal life-long passion.

message 14: by Natasha (new)

Natasha Holme (natashaholme) | 281 comments Loving the latest review of Helena Whitbread's and my new book, Secret Diaries Past & Present.

"I had never heard of Anne Lister or Natasha Holme’s diaries prior to this encounter and just one chapter in, I commit to buying all related materials."

https://lesbrary.com/2016/12/29/jess-...

message 15: by Natasha (new)

Natasha Holme (natashaholme) | 281 comments Extract from Helena Whitbread's and my new book, Secret Diaries Past & Present

www.lesbiancrushdiaries.com/extract-f...

I must not be obsessive

message 16: by Natasha (new)

Natasha Holme (natashaholme) | 281 comments For the past eighty years, the Mass Observation project in the UK has been encouraging members of the public to submit a one-day diary every 12th May. This date in 1937 was the day of King George VI's Coronation.

www.massobs.org.uk/write-for-us/12th-may

UK people--contribute and become part of recorded history!

message 17: by Natasha (new)

Natasha Holme (natashaholme) | 281 comments Jamie Days' blog is an extensive resource on his obsession with 1980s diaries. I was interviewed by him:
https://jamiedaysblog.wordpress.com/2...

Here's a snippet:

What do you think of yourself when you look back at what you wrote?
I feel just slightly remorseful, as I was far more whacky, interesting, adventurous, irresponsible, self-destructive than I am today. What I gained in self-respect and self-awareness, I lost in character.

message 18: by Natasha (new)

Natasha Holme (natashaholme) | 281 comments I couldn't stop thinking about the interview snippet above. So, I wrote this about it ...

Self-preservation is just NO FUN
www.lesbiancrushdiaries.com/self-pres...

message 19: by Natasha (new)

Natasha Holme (natashaholme) | 281 comments When did you first suspect you might be gay?... When did the pink penny finally drop for you? ...

The First Clues

message 20: by Natasha (new)

Natasha Holme (natashaholme) | 281 comments Can you beat these? ...

Top ten ways NOT to come out: www.lesbiancrushdiaries.com/top-ten-w...

Megaphone and STOP sign

message 21: by Natasha (new)

Natasha Holme (natashaholme) | 281 comments Since 12th May 1937, the day of George VI’s Coronation, the Mass Observation project in the UK has been asking members of the public to submit a diary entry for 12th May each year. Here's a shy summary of my 12th May 2019 diary entry ... https://www.lesbiancrushdiaries.com/1...

message 22: by Natasha (new)

Natasha Holme (natashaholme) | 281 comments Starts 9pm tonight in the UK on BBC1, joint BBC and HBO production Gentleman Jack, based on the 19th century coded diaries of Anne Lister. This woman was a force.

Secret Diaries Past & Present, my book co-written with Helena Whitbread (the editor of Anne's diaries), compares and contrasts Anne's diaries with mine.

Watch the trailer:
https://youtu.be/mg9d6S6N_xw

message 23: by Natasha (new)

Natasha Holme (natashaholme) | 281 comments How to become bulimic in 10 lessons ...

www.lesbiancrushdiaries.com/how-to-be..., a tongue-in-cheek warning

Dinner plate with STOP sign

message 24: by Natasha (new)

Natasha Holme (natashaholme) | 281 comments Do you have any favourite coming out quotes? Please add them to my latest blog post ...

Quotes about coming out
www.lesbiancrushdiaries.com/quotes-ab...

Closet door opening