Literary Horror discussion

Jonathan Aycliffe
This topic is about Jonathan Aycliffe
Authors > Jonathan Aycliffe

Comments Showing 1-7 of 7 (7 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Randolph (new)

Randolph (us227381) | 2 comments Does anyone know diddly about this author? I bid on a lot of 7 books and won it just for the one Ash Tree offering in the lot. I didn't pay much so I'll definitely get my investment back.

message 2: by Randolph (new)

Randolph (us227381) | 2 comments Pseudonym for Denis MacEoin. Particularly critical of Islam. Seems like above average ratings and reviews by people I trust. I paid $20 for this lot of 7 books including the Ash-Tree volume. I just might read one or two.

message 3: by Randolph (new)

Randolph (us227381) | 2 comments Still would like to know what anybody thinks about this author.

message 4: by Jordan (new)

Jordan West | 17 comments At his best, Aycliffe has produced some of the finest works of Jamesian supernatural fiction of recent years; my personal favorite is The Matrix, which blends cosmic horror with the antiquarian ghost story, and which I would not hesitate to call a masterpiece. Naomi's Room, The Talisman, and The Lost are all quite strong as well. However, Aycliffe also has the rather unfortunate tendency to occasionally reuse plot elements in some novels, which can result in a sense of sameness and weaker works than one would hope, but even when mediocre, Aycliffe is still well worth reading.

message 5: by Randolph (new)

Randolph (us227381) | 2 comments Jordan wrote: "At his best, Aycliffe has produced some of the finest works of Jamesian supernatural fiction of recent years; my personal favorite is The Matrix, which blends cosmic horror with the antiquarian gho..."

Thanks Jordan, these are all in the pile I bought but I think I'll space out reading them to avoid the "sameness" hitting me over the head.

message 6: by Randolph (new)

Randolph (us227381) | 2 comments Here is a nice bibliographical entry in Wormwoodiana for Jonathan Aycliffe.

http://wormwoodiana.blogspot.com/2017...

message 7: by Marie-Therese (new)

Marie-Therese (mariethrse) | 550 comments You gentlemen have inspired me to purchase some Aycliffe ebooks. I have The Matrix and Naomi's Room loaded on my Kindle and ready for some autumnal spooky season reading in September and October. Thanks!

Also want to thank Randolph for the Wormwoodiana link. I wasn't familiar with the blog before and it certainly seems to have interesting content. I've bookmarked it for further perusal.