The Sword and Laser discussion

Dawn (Xenogenesis, #1)
This topic is about Dawn
2014 Reads > Dawn: Is Lilith Experiencing Stockholm Syndrome?

Comments Showing 1-4 of 4 (4 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Sandi (sandikal) | 1212 comments During the years Lilith is awake and living among the Oankali, she only encounters one other human. That encounter goes very badly. Nikanj nurses her back to health. In turn Lilith allows Nikanj to make changes to her. Later, the humans she awakens regard her with suspicion because of her support of the Oankali's actions. As written, Lilith and the Oankali see the anger and suspicion as human flaws. However, could it be that the awakened humans are seeing Lilith for what she is? Isn't she siding with the Oankali because of her years of isolation from other humans? Is she not seeing other humans as humans anymore? Is she experiencing Stockholm Syndrome?

terpkristin | 4102 comments Interesting theory. It strikes me that there may be some of that going on, but do those with Stockholm Syndrome still feel so strongly about leaving their captors? That is definitely a common theme in the second half of the book, "let me just put up with this so I can get to Earth."

Sandi (sandikal) | 1212 comments terpkristin wrote: "Interesting theory. It strikes me that there may be some of that going on, but do those with Stockholm Syndrome still feel so strongly about leaving their captors? That is definitely a common theme..."

I'm pretty sure that most people with Stockholm Syndrome need intensive therapy to get over it. Where would Lilith get that therapy?

Barak Raguan (shiningheart) | 40 comments Don't forget the the Oankali actually did things on purpose to cause Lilith to feel attracted to them. They assumed a form that would supposedly be more palatable to humans, and it is implied (if not outright stated) that they interfere in the hormonal sexual response of humans, including Lilith, in order to cause them to be attracted to their captors.