The Reading Challenge Group discussion

The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo (Millennium, #1)
This topic is about The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo
Group Read Archive 2014-16 > Genre Group Read (August 2014) - The Girl With the Dragon Tattoo, by Stieg Larsson

Comments Showing 1-15 of 15 (15 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Faye, The Dickens Junkie (new)

Faye | 1415 comments Mod
This month's genre is Crime/Mystery, and the winner of the Genre Group Read poll is The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo. Book discussion can begin on August 1st.

message 2: by Holly, That Geeky One (new) - added it

Holly (hollycoulson) | 1949 comments Mod
Really excited to read this!!

Heather | 97 comments I read this when it first came out & loved every page! I think this is one I will have to revisit with the group, can't wait!

Melissa Coyle | 1557 comments This is my favorite Crime/Mystery trilogy of all-time!!! I love the characters and soooo well written. Have fun with this one.

message 5: by Renee, Mistress of the Mini-Challenge (new) - rated it 4 stars

Renee M | 4720 comments Mod
I loved this, too, but am not up for a reread just now. Simply posting so I can eavesdrop on your conversation. ;)

message 6: by A (new) - rated it 5 stars

A H Loved this book...a very gripping thriller!

message 7: by Miriam (new) - added it

Miriam | 2 comments I am so excited to read this! It's been on my to-read list for far to long. I can't wait to hear everyone's thoughts on it!

Cillian (_cnmartin) | 9 comments Haha I just finished this one on Friday! I really liked this book; it drew me in a lot more than I thought it would. :)

Natalie Moore (nataliemoore) | 39 comments I just finished this. I enjoyed it a lot more than I thought I would. Crime is not usually my thing. I felt really gripped by it and often went to bed quite late as I couldn't reading it! I felt like the book lost steam towards the end though. Might give the film a go too.

message 10: by Renee, Mistress of the Mini-Challenge (new) - rated it 4 stars

Renee M | 4720 comments Mod
I thought this was the best "mystery" of the trilogy (although he second book had more emotional impact for me because it's Lisbeth's story). I love the way Larsen wove the family history and the cold cases and the current story together in this. It was just a brilliant piece of writing.

Marc-
I saw the American and Swedish versions as well. I found both to be very well done, although the American version altered the ending more.

message 11: by Vivien (new)

Vivien Tabone | 6 comments Read all three books when they were first released and have seen the Swedish and English films although I really enjoyed them I think they were hyped up because of Stig Larsons death and the subsequent family feud. I think there are far better Scandinavian crime writers out there.

Melissa Coyle | 1557 comments Vivien wrote: "Read all three books when they were first released and have seen the Swedish and English films although I really enjoyed them I think they were hyped up because of Stig Larsons death and the subseq..."

I loved this trilogy, but if you have far better Scandinavian crime books, could you please share? I would love to read more excellent writing of this sort.

message 13: by Vivien (new)

Vivien Tabone | 6 comments Hi Melissa
I read Arnaldur Indridson, Hening Mankel, Jo Nesbo and Camilla Lackberg. Have been recommended Martin Beck series by Per Wahloo - I think that is correct - but I haven't read any yet - on my reading list. Enjoy!

Melissa Coyle | 1557 comments Hi Vivien,
Thank you for these recommendations and I will look into these new authors pronto! And yes, I'm sure I will enjoy!

message 15: by Holly, That Geeky One (new) - added it

Holly (hollycoulson) | 1949 comments Mod
Might take this on holiday with me!