On the Southern Literary Trail discussion

Someone Else's Love Story
This topic is about Someone Else's Love Story
Group Reads: Moderator's Choice > Moderator's Choice September, 2014

Comments Showing 1-15 of 15 (15 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Lawyer, Moderator Emeritus "Lawyer Stevens" (new) - rated it 4 stars

Lawyer (goodreadscommm_sullivan) | 2699 comments Mod
S is for September. And S is for Someone Else's Love Story by Joshilyn Jackson.

From the goodreads synopsis:

At twenty-one, Shandi Pierce is juggling finishing college, raising her delightful three-year-old genius son Natty, and keeping the peace between her eternally warring, long-divorced Catholic mother and Jewish father. She’s got enough complications without getting caught in the middle of a stick-up in a gas station mini-mart and falling in love with a great wall of a man named William Ashe, who willingly steps between the armed robber and her son.

Shandi doesn’t know that her blond god Thor has his own complications. When he looked down the barrel of that gun he believed it was destiny: It’s been one year to the day since a tragic act of physics shattered his universe. But William doesn’t define destiny the way other people do. A brilliant geneticist who believes in science and numbers, destiny to him is about choice.

Now, he and Shandi are about to meet their so-called destinies head on, in a funny, charming, and poignant novel about science and miracles, secrets and truths, faith and forgiveness,; about a virgin birth, a sacrifice, and a resurrection; about falling in love, and learning that things aren’t always what they seem—or what we hope they will be. It’s a novel about discovering what we want and ultimately finding what we need.

Although I do not normally listen to audio books, I make an exception on this one. Joshilyn Jackson's reading this novel is a treat. Give it a try, or read the book. Either way this is a good one!

Mike

message 2: by Diane, "Miss Scarlett" (new) - rated it 4 stars

Diane Barnes | 3820 comments Mod
I've got an ARC of this one, so am looking forward to it. I've only read 1 of her books so far "Gods in Alabama" which I think was her first one. It exceeded my expectations.

message 3: by Cher (new) - added it

Cher (cher_n_books) | 10 comments Sounds like an interesting read and looking forward to the discussion. Need to see if I can get my hands on an audio version.

Deborah | 53 comments Not a lot of conversation here. I'm feeling a little shy about breaking the ice.
I loved most of Joshilyn Jackson's books. I didn't love this one. I didn't hate it. She's too good to write a really bad book, but I didn't think this was her best.

I found it a little predictable. I found the child a bit precious and I wanted to point out that not all smart men are on the spectrum. (Remember the rather clueless smart husband in The Girl Who Stopped Swimming?)

That said, I love her voice, and it's just as good here as anywhere. It's a good story, well paced and well written. But not my favorite.

message 5: by Diane, "Miss Scarlett" (new) - rated it 4 stars

Thanks for commenting Deborah. Someone has to break the ice. I am saving this one for something lighter to read after Sophie's Choice. The only other one I've read of hers was "Gods in Alabama", and I loved that one.

message 6: by Deborah (last edited Sep 12, 2014 09:11PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Deborah | 53 comments I did too. Backseat Saints was a near perfect book. I also really loved Between Georgia. A Grown Up Kind of Pretty was also excellent. It was more similar to this one in some ways.

message 7: by Lawyer, Moderator Emeritus "Lawyer Stevens" (new) - rated it 4 stars

Deborah wrote: "Not a lot of conversation here. I'm feeling a little shy about breaking the ice.
I loved most of Joshilyn Jackson's books. I didn't love this one. I didn't hate it. She's too good to write a reall..."

Never be shy about breaking the ice, Deborah. *grin* I deliberately wait a lot of the time not to influence readers' reactions. My favorite Jacksons are Gods in Alabama and Backseat Saints. I deliberately picked this one because of the heavy tomes and dark tones of many of our recent reads. I agree with you Jackson can't write a bad book. However, I rate this one highly. Beneath the quirkiness of Shandy and Walcott there are themes of sacrifice, redemption, and an actual resurrection. William carries a heavy load. And, so does Shandy in her own way. Perhaps, because Jackson writes this one with broad, humorous strokes, it does not pack the punch of "Gods" and "Backseats" but I found it a very satisfying read. I've seen Jackson classified as chick-lit. I think that classification does not recognize the fine quality of her writing. If it does, I guess I read chick-lit. So be it. *grin* Thanks for breaking the ice. As always, I appreciate your commenting.

message 8: by Diane S ☔ (new) - added it

Diane S ☔ A Grown-Up Kind of Pretty has been my favorite of hers to date. Thought I had read this one but can't seem to find my rating. Well I do own it so maybe it will prompt my memory if I start reading it again.

message 9: by Cathy (last edited Sep 21, 2014 05:46PM) (new)

Cathy (cathy_perkins) | 10 comments Gods in Alabama's opening line is still one of my favorites.

I've picked up Backseat Saints but hadn't heard about this one.

message 10: by Lawyer, Moderator Emeritus "Lawyer Stevens" (new) - rated it 4 stars

Cathy wrote: "God's in Alabama's opening line is still one of my favorites.

I've picked up Backseat Saints but hadn't heard about this one."

Cathy, this one is Jackson's most recent novels. It is the reason I chose it. I figured many would have read some of her previous works. The opening line of Gods in Alabama is one of my favorites. I find Someone Else's Love Story one of Jackson's novels most different from her previous novels. The quirkiest characters. The broadest humorous strokes. My favorites remain "Gods in Alabama" and "Backseat Saints." Joshilyn or "Joss" has been a special friend since she made a special appearance in Tuscaloosa, Al, to support our domestic violence shelter of which I was the director back in 2010. I consider her a fine author and a fine, compassionate person.

message 11: by Diane, "Miss Scarlett" (new) - rated it 4 stars

I just started "Someone Else's Love Story" last night, read 50 pages before my eyes closed involuntarily, but I'm hooked. Love these characters, and Jackson's wicked humor makes me think we'd be close friends if I ever met her.

message 12: by Lawyer, Moderator Emeritus "Lawyer Stevens" (new) - rated it 4 stars

Diane wrote: "I just started "Someone Else's Love Story" last night, read 50 pages before my eyes closed involuntarily, but I'm hooked. Love these characters, and Jackson's wicked humor makes me think we'd be c..."

Hah. There is no question you'd get along famously, Diane. Y'all share that wicked sense of humor. I'd pay admission just to sit across the table and listen to the two of you exchange quips. Her mother and father live in Alabama. So she has a great following here. When she visits to sign here it appears to be a giant family reunion. She cracks folks up wherever she goes.

message 13: by Diane, "Miss Scarlett" (new) - rated it 4 stars

I just now finished this one. Thanks so much for choosing this for September,Mike. I had an ARC of this one and would have gotten around to it eventually as I liked "Gods in Alabama" so much, but you brought it to the top of the pile. I hope other members will give this a try, and for those guys out there who may think this is chick lit, think again. This is a book with some really deep themes and a lot of substance.

message 14: by Lawyer, Moderator Emeritus "Lawyer Stevens" (new) - rated it 4 stars

Diane wrote: "I just now finished this one. Thanks so much for choosing this for September,Mike. I had an ARC of this one and would have gotten around to it eventually as I liked "Gods in Alabama" so much, but..."

I originally read the print version of the novel. Now, I've been listening to Joshilyn read her own work. It's a special treat. In addition to having an MA in creative writing, she has two years of acting to her credit, so she's a natural when it comes to reading her works and keeping audiences entertained at book signings and college classroom lectures.

message 15: by Beverly (last edited Mar 14, 2015 10:41AM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Beverly | 190 comments I am very late in commenting about our Sept. read Someone Else's Love Story Until I read another member's review, I continued to think of this book as some others have as just "chick lit".
Thanks to Will's great review ( which I have hopefully correctly linked below) for helping me to see that as Diane said "This is a book with some really deep themes and a lot of substance." In case you did not get to read it last month, it is a pretty quick read and I highly recommend both the book and Will's Review
Also, thanks Mike for nominating it.