The Name of the Wind (The Kingkiller Chronicle, #1) The Name of the Wind question

Suggestions for Fantasy novels
Aster X X Aster X X Jul 26, 2014 05:47AM
This was the 1st strictly fantasy novel I read. Loved it but was extremely (and I do mean extremely) frustrated that it's an unfinished series! I was wondering if anyone could give me some suggestions for series that have been completed? (since there is already a general suggestions thread going here and most of the suggestions on that are similarly unfinished)

You might want to try a series called Memory, Sorrow And Thorn by Tad Williams. The first book is called The Dragonbone Chair. I read it years ago, but I remember really enjoying it.

One of my favourite authors is Robin Hobb, who is a terrific character writer. With her stuff I'd recommend starting with the Farseer Trilogy. The first book is Assassin's Apprentice.

If you're looking for something a little grittier, maybe try Joe Abercrombie. The first book in his First Law Trilogy is calledThe Blade Itself. Also, R. Scott Bakker is a pretty dark fantasy writer. He's got a completed trilogy called The Prince Of Nothing, and the first book for that is The Darkness That Comes Before.

Also, I'd be remiss if I didn't direct you toward some of the classics of the genre. The Fellowship of the Ring, The Lion, the Witch, and the Wardrobe and A Wizard of Earthsea are all good places to start.

Miles English Good suggestions. I was going to suggest most of the same books. In writing style, Robin Hobb is probably the closest author to Patrick Rothfuss. They ...more
Aug 11, 2014 01:18PM

More Suggestions

The Belegraid and Mallorean series, starts with Pawn of Prophecy

Mistborn by Brandon Sanderson (everything by Sanderson is good to me...), Mistborn: The Final Empire

Night Angel Trilogy (a little dark) The Night Angel Trilogy

Obviously Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone

and if you want to get into urban fantasy, Dark days series (on of the few urban fantasy series that actually has an end) Nightwalker

Brent (last edited Aug 21, 2014 07:21AM ) Aug 21, 2014 07:12AM   0 votes
Always Lord of the Rings is a great choice. It's my personal favorite.
I really enjoyed Dragonlance. If you do read it start with Dragons of a Autumn Twilight.

Solemn (last edited Apr 29, 2015 10:49PM ) Apr 29, 2015 10:47PM   0 votes
Simpy put
-The Storm Light Archive
-A Raven's Shadow Novel
-The Lies of Locke Lamora
-The Red Rising Trilogy
-Codex Alera

These are the other great fantasy novels. Any one of these series' will be worth your time.

*it should be noted that 80% of these are unfinished

The Martian
Was another great book but it's not really a fantasy.

I am a huge fantasy fan! I definitely suggest Lord of the Rings, Harry Potter, The Mists of Avalon (if you like Arthurian stories), And Game of Thrones depending on your age.

Brent Taylor I've never heard of The Mists of Avalon. I will look that up thanks. ...more
Aug 21, 2014 07:14AM

Anything by Brandon Sanderson. Mistborn, Elantris, Warbreaker. All amazing. He also has a series set in modern times that starts with the book Steelheart.

Everybody knows about Sanderson though. Someone who I never hear anyone talk about is Patricia A. McKillip. She's amazing, and the vast majority of her (many) novels are standalone works, so you don't have to worry about getting caught up in some long or unfinished series. I find her style of prose to be incredibly beautiful in a similar way to Patrick Rothfuss', but way way better.

Also absolutely FANTASTIC is the Broken Empire trilogy by Mark Lawrence. First book is called Prince of Thorns. That trilogy has one of the most incredible endings that I have ever read. They're incredibly violent and gritty though, and the main character is a reprehensible sadist, so just know that going in.

I would agree with Bryan - Robin Hobb is absolutely amazing. She just has that little bit of a different viewpoint. Just make sure that you read them in order - you do miss something if you skip trilogies.

Joe Abercrombie, while gritty, is possibly a slightly lighter humoured Game of Thrones (ish), with the added bonus that the series is finished! He might bring out some more trilogies and individual books based on this world and these characters though.