Sand gegen den Wind Sand gegen den Wind discussion

China and the USA

Comments Showing 1-10 of 10 (10 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Mel (new) - rated it 5 stars

Mel For some historical background this is a great start. Thoughts on CKS?

message 2: by Mel (new) - rated it 5 stars

Mel Anyone read this book?

Charles Gonzalez This was the first B Tuchman book I read, over 30 years ago....its on my to re read list, but as I recall, a remarkable story about a small corner of American political/military history with important resonance for our current relations with China.....Tuchman has always offered her readers important "lessons of history" in her writing....

message 4: by Mel (new) - rated it 5 stars

Mel Charles wrote: "This was the first B Tuchman book I read, over 30 years ago....its on my to re read list, but as I recall, a remarkable story about a small corner of American political/military history with import..."

I concur. Very good read. I read it with zeal even though I had to in a non-American edition. Now I want to read The Guns of August by the same author. Not sure when I will get to it.

message 5: by Mel (new) - rated it 5 stars

Mel Need to switch to Russia with regards to what is now happening in E. Ukraine.

Charles Gonzalez Guns of August a great idea....her description of the fumblings and mistaken assumptions that led to that disaster more timely than ever; also GJ Meyers "The Great War.." and Fergusons' The Pity of War....re Russia, a country in terminal and absolute decline is especially dangerous, they have little to lose...

message 7: by Mel (new) - rated it 5 stars

Mel We just passed the anniversary day (Sep 1, 1939 @ 4:45) 75 years ago WWII began. German naval school ship, Schleswig-Holstein, (the NSADP government of course NAZIs led by Adolf Hitler, an Austrian) opened fire on the Polish magazine located on the Westerplatte and sent German Marines ashore into Poland. Much of this lead-up is very similar to what Putin is doing in the Ukraine. WWIII?

HerodotusMao M wrote: "We just passed the anniversary day (Sep 1, 1939 @ 4:45) 75 years ago WWII began. German naval school ship, Schleswig-Holstein, (the NSADP government of course NAZIs led by Adolf Hitler, an Austrian..."

Even a year ago I would have said no way, that Putin might be a cold-hearted ex-KGB killer, but like Khrushchev, he was anything but stupid and wouldn't go past the point of no return. Looking at it from Putin's perspective, I still felt that way even after he took the Crimea, since I could see a strategic need for this action with the majority of the Black Sea fleet stationed there once the Ukraine started leaning towards the West and who was going to stop him? One could even make the argument that the Crimean action was a display of weakness, if looked at from certain perspectives...

But some of the reports coming out of the Kremlin recently are disturbing, and the continued Russian actions in East Ukraine make a lot less sense than the Crimean action did... still, a full fledged shooting war with NATO seems like the actions of a madman. And while Putin has shown himself to be a master manipulator, perhaps even a psychopath or sociopath, I haven't seen anything quite that mad from him. At least, not yet...

message 9: by Mel (new) - rated it 5 stars

Mel All good points.

Silvan Mun Didn't read it yet, but it is on my list for 2019.
Thanks for your insights and opinions!