What's the Name of That Book??? discussion

UNSOLVED: One specific book > Little Red Riding Hood book ?!? Descendant of wolves ?!?

Comments Showing 1-29 of 29 (29 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Lisa (new)

Lisa (asilis) | 17 comments I read a book from my public library about 12 years ago that was based on the little red riding hood concept. There was a single mother and her little girl was thought to be a descendant of wolves or something similar, and there was a man who was trying to help her as the wolves were coming after her? I remember it had a greenish cover with a little girl in a red cloak on the cover (of course that could just be the publication of the book that i read).
I think it was based in Scotland or England and i remember the man had to travel to a particular library or church to search about the wolves.

Please help me name this book! I would really like to read it again and have been searching for it for MANY years!

message 2: by Michele (new)

Michele | 2357 comments Was this a YA book or would you call it adult fiction?

message 3: by Lisa (new)

Lisa (asilis) | 17 comments Hi Michele, no it was not YA, I borrowed it from the Adult section of our local library. =)

message 4: by Michele (new)

Michele | 2357 comments Any idea if it was a new book at the time you checked it out, or an older one? What raised it to adult level vs YA -- sex, violence, vocabulary, all of the above? The man who wanted to help them, was he someone especially knowledgeable about werewolved, like Van Helsing was about vampires, or was he just a guy they knew? Was the the mother's boyfriend or anything? Do you have an sense of why the wolves were coming after here -- did they view her as a threat, or did they want to persuade her to join them? When you say "her little girl was thought to be" -- who thought it, the mother or someone else? Do you recall how they knew?

Any detail no matter how small is good, you never know what will spark someone's memory.

message 5: by SparksofEmber (new)

SparksofEmber | 943 comments Have you checked these 3 lists?

message 6: by Lisa (new)

Lisa (asilis) | 17 comments Bump

message 7: by Lisa (new)

Lisa (asilis) | 17 comments SparksofEmber wrote: "Have you checked these 3 lists?"

Yes I have searched many lists on here in search for this book!! No luck so far...
Thanks very much though...

message 8: by Lisa (new)

Lisa (asilis) | 17 comments Michele wrote: "Any idea if it was a new book at the time you checked it out, or an older one? What raised it to adult level vs YA -- sex, violence, vocabulary, all of the above? The man who wanted to help them,..."

When I borrowed it, it was not an old book, maybe a year or two old?!? No idea what made it adult level sorry, and the guy was just someone they bumped into along the way.
I think they were coming after them because of something to do with the daughter being the youngest descendant or something, the daughter was very important. Sorry I can't be of more help.

If it does help at all the Surname of the author was somewhere around the F-M place, as I remember about where on the library wall I found this book, and it was somewhere near Diana Gabaldon...

message 10: by Lisa (new)

Lisa (asilis) | 17 comments Bump

message 11: by SparksofEmber (last edited Nov 21, 2014 09:51AM) (new)

SparksofEmber | 943 comments Do you remember what time period it took place in? Was it middle-ages fantasy type or modern day?

Was there any romance? Maybe between the man and the mother?

Maybe try asking at these groups? They have a ton of members.
https://www.goodreads.com/group/show/...

message 12: by Francesca (new)

Francesca Orsetti | 20 comments Based on little riding hood, I know just Sisters Red by Jackson Pearce...

message 13: by Ann aka Iftcan (new)

Ann aka Iftcan (iftcan) | 6972 comments Mod
Sisters Red for Francesca's click.

message 14: by Lisa (new)

Lisa (asilis) | 17 comments Bump. Have looked at all the books that people have mentioned but nothing so far...

message 15: by SparksofEmber (new)

SparksofEmber | 943 comments Do you remember what time period it took place in? Was it middle-ages fantasy type or modern day?

Was there any romance? Maybe between the man and the mother?

message 16: by Lisa (new)

Lisa (asilis) | 17 comments Definitely more modern day. They drove in cars etc
And I think there might have been a spark between the mother and the man in the storyline but can't remember if anything came of it.

message 17: by SparksofEmber (new)

SparksofEmber | 943 comments Is it possible the wolves were werewolves?

message 18: by Lisa (new)

Lisa (asilis) | 17 comments Uh yes, could definitely be a possibility...

message 19: by SparksofEmber (new)

SparksofEmber | 943 comments Wish we could find this one cause it sounds really neat. Anything else you remember even slightly?

message 20: by Lisa (new)

Lisa (asilis) | 17 comments Bump again, almost been a year since I last checked in... whoops

message 21: by MJ (new)

MJ | 1342 comments Interested

message 22: by Lee (new)

Lee (1leelee1) | 6 comments UnEnchanted (An Unfortunate Fairy Tale Book 1)
by Chanda Hahn?

Not sure how old that book is but it is probably too new to be the one you're looking for. But you might like it anyway because it sound really similar. Even has a library in it ... I think :)

message 23: by Kris (new)

Kris | 33466 comments Mod
UnEnchanted by Chanda Hahn for Lisa's suggestion.

message 24: by Lisa (new)

Lisa (asilis) | 17 comments Bumping up.

Nope not unenchanted unfortunately.

message 25: by Michele (new)

Michele | 2357 comments Are you sure it was a book, or could it have been a short story? Tanith Lee's red as blood tales from the sisters grimmer includes a variant of red riding hood that might match your details.

message 26: by Lisa (new)

Lisa (asilis) | 17 comments Thanks Michele, but it was definitely a book =)

message 27: by Lisa (new)

Lisa (asilis) | 17 comments Bumping up again

message 28: by Lisa (new)

Lisa (asilis) | 17 comments Still searching for this book. I’m hopeful that one day someone will know it...

message 29: by Bridget (last edited Mar 12, 2019 09:41AM) (new)

Bridget (oobridgetoo) | 172 comments It was published in 2012, but maybe Rise of the Alpha Huntress by Neo Edmund? ;) Rise Of The Alpha Huntress