GOOD REVIEWS discussion

Poisoned Waters
This topic is about Poisoned Waters
FREE mystery/crime book (reviews needed)

Comments Showing 1-14 of 14 (14 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Ermisenda (new) - added it

Ermisenda Alvarez (ermisendaalvarez) | 14 comments Hello everyone!

Poisoned Waters by Ermisenda Alvarez

I'm giving away free copies for anyone interested in reading Poisoned Waters in exchange for an honest review. It's my new mystery/suspense/thriller novel. The novel isn't too long, it clocks in at roughly 65 thousand words. Email me on ermisenda@live.com or leave a message below. :)

I have Kindle, ePub, & PDF formats.

Synopsis:
Bloody mistakes, ugly scars, and beautiful lies. A tale of corruption.

Helen Gardener is murdered on a trans-Atlantic cruise. The Diamond Royale sails from Southampton to New York with her murderer aboard. Set in the 1950s, Poisoned Waters follows the stories of seven unfortunate characters and how they are affected by her death. Was it merely an accident? Mr Phillips, the owner of the ship, and sponsor of the cruise, rules with an iron fist, in search of something or someone.

Lies spiral out of control as the suspects try to survive the final days on board. Conflicted by their sense of morals, greed, and lust, they realise what kind of people they really are. Who will rise? Who will fall? Who was Helen's murderer?

Book contains mild adult themes: violence, death, and sex scenes. Nothing explicit.
Read Chapter 1 here: http://ermiliablog.wordpress.com/2013...

message 2: by Yvonne (new)

Yvonne Crowe | 31 comments Hi Ermisenda, are you interested in swapping reviews:I have a short satirical crime novel From Serbia With Love. It will be free in a few days, or I can forward a mobi or PDF file.

Excerpt on my website: www.yvonnecrowe.com

thanks

Ermisenda wrote: "Hello everyone!

I'm giving away free copies for anyone interested in reading Poisoned Waters in exchange for an honest review. It's my new mystery/suspense/th..."

message 3: by Ermisenda (new) - added it

Ermisenda Alvarez (ermisendaalvarez) | 14 comments I am still giving out FREE copies in exchange of reviews. Leave a message or contact me!

message 4: by Pedro/Gladys (new)

Pedro/Gladys Garcia | 9 comments Hi. Im Gladys from Miami. Im a serious reader and I would love to read your book and give you an honest review. Thank

message 5: by Ermisenda (new) - added it

Ermisenda Alvarez (ermisendaalvarez) | 14 comments Pedro/Gladys wrote: "Hi. Im Gladys from Miami. Im a serious reader and I would love to read your book and give you an honest review. Thank"

Hey Gladys. Awesome! Glad to hear you're on board. Can you PM me your email address so I can send you the ebook? What file format would you like?

message 6: by Pedro/Gladys (new)

Pedro/Gladys Garcia | 9 comments Garciap22000@yahoo.com
Epub ist good.
Thanks

message 7: by Ermisenda (new) - added it

Ermisenda Alvarez (ermisendaalvarez) | 14 comments Pedro/Gladys wrote: "Garciap22000@yahoo.com
Epub ist good.
Thanks"

I've sent you an email with the epub!

message 8: by Robert (new)

Robert Eggleton | 35 comments Gladys,

Please help make the Lacy Dawn Adventures Project a more apparent reality by publication of a book review. I’m a 63 year old, low paid therapist in a community mental health center located in Charleston, WV. I have inept computer / marketing skills, but have written a SF/F novel that has received glowing expert reviews, with author proceeds donated to Children’s Home Society for child abuse prevention. Despite the book reviews, sales have been low and my website, www.lacydawnadventures.com is not very good. My son helps but he is so busy making ends meet. I’m trying to learn. Following is more info:

Please email me and consider publication of a book review. robert_t@suddenlink.net

An August, 2014, review of Rarity from the Hollow was published in the Electric Review. http://electricrev.net/2014/08/12/a-u... The novel was originally published in 2006 as an ebook by a short-lived company started by the New Acquisitions Editor for the University of Michigan Library, and reprinted in 2012 by a small press in Leeds that contacted me.

In Baryonline 103, Barry Hunter concluded his review: "... I can almost hear a blue grass version of Metallica while reading this. I expect to see more from Eggleton and Lacy Dawn. Good satire is hard to find and science fiction satire is even harder to find." Mia, a book reviewer for Coffee Times Romance concluded her review: "...But I was surprised that as I read more of the book, the people had a way of touching a part of you that I was not expecting at all. A good read for any lover of satire and science fiction. A well written book." After stating that Rarity from the Hollow was one of the most unusual books that he had read in a long time, Darrell Bain, 2005 Fictionwise Ebook Author of the Year and 2007 Double Eppie Award Winner, closed his review with, "...You'll enjoy the ride with Lacy Dawn and friends and family, but don't expect the ride to be without bumps and enough food for thought to last you a long time."

Similarly, author William DeVault said in his review, "...one of those strange and exciting bits of literature that captures you with its uniqueness and then lingers on your mind, reasserting itself from time to time to remind you that your reality may not be everyone else's. A rich and original work, full of aspects and images that are certain to make it worth recommending to friends you wish to impress. Not for everyone, but for those ready to embrace the offbeat, a welcome surprise."

J.D. Nelson, poet, MadVerse, compared the writing to both Stephen King and Ray Bradbury (big compliments): "Eggleton counters the story's dark mood with touches of warmth and humor, a la Ray Bradbury. ... His frank and honest portrayal of poverty in rural Appalachia is reminiscent of Stephen King's use of "everyday horrors"....

Kevin Patrick Mahoney on Authortrek compared it to Dean Koontz (!!!): "...the subject matter is dark and strong, unflinching in its portrayal of human darkness, and not for the faint-hearted or easily offended. Robert Eggleton is not afraid of employing complex style and structure to fit the needs of his story. The mixture of sci-fi, gritty reality, humour, and the mode of thriller reminds me a great deal of Dean Koontz's writing, and Robert Eggleton may indeed have the potential to follow in Dean Koontz's footsteps."

Evelyn Somers, Editor, The Missouri Review didn't compare it to any works by others but echoed Mahoney: "Among its strengths are an ultra-convincing depiction of the lives, especially the inner lives, of the Appalachian characters. The grim details of their existence are delivered with such flat understatement that at times they almost become comic. And just when you think enough is enough, this world is too plain ugly, Lacy Dawn's father (who is being "fixed" with DotCom's help) gets a job and Lacy Dawn, her mother and her dog take off for a trip to the mall "out of state" with Lacy Dawn's android friend, now her "fiance" (though as Lacy's mother points out, he doesn't have any private parts, not even "a bump.") In the space between a few lines we go from hardscrabble realism to pure sci-fi/fantasy. It's quite a trip."

Adicus Ryan Garton, publisher of Atomjack Science Fiction Magazine said it was the Wizard of Oz (L. Frank Baum) and Hitchhiker’s Guide to the Galaxy (Douglas Adams) smashed together. I was elated as Hitchhiker’s is my favorite all time novel.

Author proceeds have been and continue to be donated to a nonprofit child abuse prevention program in WV where I work a few miles away as a therapist.

Thanks for your consideration.

283 Pages
Science Fiction/Fantasy

ISBN: 1907133062 / ISBN-13: 9781907133060

Dog Horn Publishing, Leeds, England

http://www.amazon.com/Rarity-from-the... (ebook)

http://www.lulu.com/shop/robert-eggle... (paperback)

http://www.doghornpublishing.com/book... (hardback)

Excerpt of Review by Adicus Ryan Garton, Atomjack Science Fiction Magazine: “Imagine the Wizard of Oz and Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy smashed together and taking place in a hollow in the hills of West Virginia. Now you have an idea of what to expect when you sit down to read Rarity From the Hollow that she is the savior of the universe. The naked, genderless android, Dot-com……unabashed, unashamed exploration of the life of young Lacy Dawn, as she learns Add her abusive father, her weak-willed mother, a sexually-abused ghost for a best friend…trees that talk to her, a dog that can communicate telepathically with cockroaches and so much more. There is so much to this story, and its writing is so unblinkingly honest…spares us nothing…her father beating her and her mother, the emotions…the dark creeping insanity that eats away at her Iraq-veteran father, and the life in general of people too poor, too uneducated to escape. In part, it is a grueling exposition of what children endure when …abused. …the only way…to escape is to learn that she is the savior… strong, tough, smart—all those attributes that any child should have—and she reminds us that children are survivors, adaptive and optimistic.

But don't think you're going to be reading something harsh and brutal and tragic. This book is laugh-out-loud funny at times, satiric of almost everything it touches upon…The characters from the hollow and from the planet Shptiludrp (the Mall of the Universe) are funny almost to the point of tears.

...It's absolutely fantastic…."

Now, my writing has been compared to Kurt Vonnegut's style! Please check out the above cited review.

Sales have been low. This is especially sad for me as author proceeds are donated to prevent child abuse in West Virginia. Your contribution may help boost notice of a publication by a small press with no advertising budget. I do not make enough money to advertise.

Robert Eggleton

message 9: by Ermisenda (new) - added it

Ermisenda Alvarez (ermisendaalvarez) | 14 comments I am still giving out FREE copies in exchange of reviews. Leave a message or contact me!

message 10: by Pedro/Gladys (new)

Pedro/Gladys Garcia | 9 comments Ermisenda wrote: "Hello everyone!

I'm giving away free copies for anyone interested in reading Poisoned Waters in exchange for an honest review. It's my new mystery/suspense/th..."

HI
I will review
garciap22000@yahoo.com
PDF or epub is fine
thanks
Pedro/ Gladys

message 11: by Pedro/Gladys (new)

Pedro/Gladys Garcia | 9 comments Robert wrote: "Gladys,

Please help make the Lacy Dawn Adventures Project a more apparent reality by publication of a book review. I’m a 63 year old, low paid therapist in a community mental health center locate..."

Hi Robert,
I will gladly read and review.

garciap22000@yahoo.com

thanks
Pedro/Gladys

message 12: by Ermisenda (last edited Mar 11, 2015 11:43AM) (new) - added it

Ermisenda Alvarez (ermisendaalvarez) | 14 comments Pedro/Gladys wrote: "Ermisenda wrote: "Hello everyone!

I'm giving away free copies for anyone interested in reading Poisoned Waters in exchange for an honest review. It's my new m..."

Hey Pedro/Gladys. You already requested a copy in December and I sent you one. Did you lose the copy or something?

message 13: by Gates (new)

Gates Watson | 6 comments Hi Ermisenda - would you be willing to do a swap review? Thank you - Gates

message 14: by Ermisenda (new) - added it

Ermisenda Alvarez (ermisendaalvarez) | 14 comments Gates wrote: "Hi Ermisenda - would you be willing to do a swap review? Thank you - Gates"

I sent you a private message. :)