Kalamalka Press discussion

Montreal poet wins Kalamalka Press’s third annual chapbook award

Comments Showing 1-2 of 2 (2 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by kevin (last edited Jul 25, 2014 11:28PM) (new)

kevin eckhoff (kevinmcphersoneckhoff) | 2 comments Mod
Kalamalka Press is ecstatic in the attic to announce that the third annual John Lent Poetry Prose Award goes to Montreal-based writer Nicholas Papaxanthos.

His work, Wearing Your Pants, was selected from over fifty manuscripts.

“We received the most submissions ever for this year’s award, which is a great sign that news of the award is viraling across the country, but it was also dang tough to narrow down so many supercharged contenders!” says Kevin McPherson, managing editor of Kalamalka Press.

For the past three years, the award’s three judges have been Kevin McPherson, Jake Kennedy, and Laisha Rosnau, who just finished touring with her latest poetry collection, Pluck.

“It’s a ludicrous honour to be able to consider so many beauty-filled poems and deliberate with such admirable peers. The winning manuscript is also such a playful, surreal wonder it puts a lot of joy in my chest thumper!” says Jake Kennedy.

The judges chose two additional standout manuscripts as honorable mentions: Sarah Burgoyne’s Saint Friend, and Alessandro Porco’s Biceps the Size of Tort Law in Singapore: The Minutes (XXV-XXX).

Papaxanthos has one chapbook published with Proper Tales Press, while his writing appears in numerous anthologies and journals, including Lake Effect 5, This Magazine, and Lemonhound. Of winning the award, he writes, “What can I say? Such a thrill that the judges enjoyed my poetry.” And of previous winners and the award’s namesake, “I couldn’t have hoped for better company!”

Papaxanthos will receive an honorarium of $500, while his work will be printed as a letterpress chapbook designed by English professor and award-winning bookmaker, Jason Dewinetz, and made by students in Okanagan College’s Writing and Publishing Diploma program in the spring of 2015.

A handful of copies of last year’s winner, Nikki Sheppy’s Grrrrlhood: a ludic suite, as well as Okanagan College’s 3-Hour Short Story winner, Mary Bevan’s The Use in Usefulness, are still available for purchase through the press’s website, kalamalkapress.com.

message 2: by Philip (new)

Philip Gordon (greymusic) | 1 comments Wish I'd known about this--judged by Jake and Kevin together! Zounds!

Huge congrats to the winner, can't wait to check out the upcoming release. Where and when will we be able to get our hot little hands on it?