The Mystery, Crime, and Thriller Group discussion

Book Hunting / Recommendations > True Crime Favourites?

Comments Showing 1-20 of 20 (20 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Alex (new)

Alex Garneau Good day all!

Having joined this site recently, I've grown into the habit of checking Goodreads reviews before acquiring any book just in case the general consensus is that its terrible and there are better options out there to spend my reading time.

I recently finished Helter Skelter: The True Story of the Manson Murders as my first true crime book and I enjoyed it immensely.

I started In Cold Blood just after that and have devoured a good chunk of it.

A friend of mine was kind enough to lend me quite an extensive collection of true crime books to keep me going, but after checking the reviews for most of them, there doest seem to be anything of note in there.

I guess what I'm wondering is what are your favourite true crime books? I enjoy the psychological explanation behind the actions of such people and Helter Skelter did an amazing job at that.

Any and all ideas would be greatly appreciated.
Many thanks :)

message 2: by Malina (last edited Jul 25, 2014 09:38PM) (new)

Malina | 2787 comments I'm also reading In Cold Blood! I wasn't to keen on it at the beginning but now I'm loving it.

Have you read The Stranger Beside Me: Ted Bundy The Shocking Inside Story, a chilling true story.

Midnight in the Garden of Good and Evil is also great

message 3: by Jan C (new)

Jan C (woeisme) | 35219 comments Being from Chicago, I like best the ones that occurred there. Unbridled Rage and Hot Blood. And, of course, The Devil in the White City: Murder, Magic, and Madness at the Fair that Changed America.

message 4: by Nancy, Co-Moderator (new)

Nancy Oakes (quinnsmom) | 8516 comments Mod
There is an excellent book called Starvation Heights: A True Story of Murder and Malice in the Woods of the Pacific Northwest, by Gregg Olsen that I really like in true crime. Also - The Westies: Inside New York's Irish Mob by T.J. English, The Suspicions of Mr. Whicher: A Shocking Murder and the Undoing of a Great Victorian Detective, by Kate Summerscale, and if you want something truly harrowing, try Death in the City of Light: The Serial Killer of Nazi-Occupied Paris, by David King. I like historical true crime rather than the modern stuff.

message 5: by Bill, Co-Moderator (new)

Bill | 5383 comments Mod
I'm just starting In Cold Blood as well. Looking forward to it.

message 6: by S.K. (new)

S.K. Rizzolo (skrizzolo) | 63 comments I've read The Suspicions of Mr. Whicher: A Shocking Murder and the Undoing of a Great Victorian Detective, but I don't remember it very well--must find it again. I prefer historical true crime too.

message 7: by Nancy, Co-Moderator (new)

S.K. wrote: "I've read The Suspicions of Mr. Whicher: A Shocking Murder and the Undoing of a Great Victorian Detective, but I don't remember it very well--must find it again. I prefer historical..."

To me, a lot of current true crime is meant to be titillating and sensational -- I did read one though, that was quite good: People Who Eat Darkness: The Fate of Lucie Blackman. Now that is a fine modern true crime story.

message 8: by S.K. (new)

S.K. Rizzolo (skrizzolo) | 63 comments Yes, I agree about the sensationalized "O.J.-type" true crime. I just glanced at the summary of People Who Eat Darkness. Wow--such a sad and disturbing story, but the book does indeed sound interesting (though too much for me, I suspect).

message 9: by Robert (new)

Robert Raker (robert_raker) | 59 comments I have been reading a lot of true historical ccrime non-fiction recently. My favorite author in that genre is Erik Larson. I highly recommend Thunderstruck

message 10: by Nancy, Co-Moderator (new)

Robert wrote: "I have been reading a lot of true historical ccrime non-fiction recently. My favorite author in that genre is Erik Larson. I highly recommend Thunderstruck"

He's a great writer. My favorite of his is Isaac's Storm: A Man, a Time, and the Deadliest Hurricane in History -- better than anything else he's ever written. I read Thunderstruck, liked it, but it doesn't even begin to compare to Isaac's Storm. Then again, Isaac's storm isn't true crime.

message 11: by Alex (new)

Alex Garneau Thanks for the suggestions everyone! I have a lot to go on now :)

message 12: by Harvey (new)

Harvey | 2 comments Ann Rule is the Queen of True Crime. In addition to the Ted Bundy noted above she has written at least a dozen similar books. I especially liked her saga of the Green River Killer.

message 13: by Kathy (new)

Kathy (ksales) | 61 comments HELTER SKELTER and IN COLD BLOOD are excellent true crime books--very well written ans spellbinding.

message 14: by Lynne (new)

Lynne Scott | 29 comments Small Sacrifices by Ann Rule was an excellent read. It's the story of Diane Downs, a woman who shot her three children (killing one) and then blamed it on a "bushy haired stranger."

message 15: by Rosemarie (new)

Rosemarie Silva (mayee_me) | 4 comments I love the books by PD. James specially (The Murder Room) and Agatha Christie (since you will never guess who the killer is and i always find it creepy)..i also enjoy books by James Patt. :)

message 16: by Britney (new)

Britney (tarheels) | 125 comments Ann Rule is my favorite true crime author. My all time fav was The Ted Bundy story she wrote. She has a series called True Crime. Each book has several stories plus pics. They are chilling.

message 17: by Rosemarie (last edited Aug 31, 2014 10:54PM) (new)

Rosemarie Silva (mayee_me) | 4 comments let me add..for those who are also into classics..try reading Fyodor Dostoyevsky's Crime and Punishment..you will find it creepy and it will surely give you goosebumps..because the novel will get you inside the mind of a criminal..

message 18: by Nancy, Co-Moderator (new)

Rosemarie wrote: "let me add..for those who are also into classics..try reading Fyodor Dostoyevsky's Crime and Punishment..you will find it creepy and it will surely give you goosebumps..because the novel will get y..."

It's a great book, truly. This thread is more about true crime though.

message 19: by Alex (new)

Alex Dolan (alexdolan) I'm Cold Blood and Devil in the White City.

message 20: by Gay (new)

Gay Yellen (httpwwwgoodreadscomgayyellen) | 15 comments Run, Brother, Run: A Memoir of a Murder in My Family, a true story of murder in Houston. The fascinating part is how a masterful defense lawyer can trump a weak prosecution. Very well written and heartfelt by the victim's brother, an attorney himself.