500 Great Books By Women discussion

Memoirs of a Korean Queen
This topic is about Memoirs of a Korean Queen
Power > Memoirs of a Korean Queen - Lady Hong

Comments Showing 1-4 of 4 (4 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Aubrey (last edited Jul 30, 2014 04:53PM) (new) - added it

Aubrey (korrick) | 2004 comments Memoirs of a Korean Queen, Lady Hong, translated from Korean by Choe-Wall Yang-hi, circa 1796, Korea, MEMOIR

"...Memoirs of a Korean Queen provides a rare example of writing by a Korean woman during this period, and an equally rare view of her life and the lives of those around her. Two hundred years later, Lady Hong shines through as a thoughtful, intelligent woman whose life was circumscribed by the custom, culture, and Confucianism of her time—the same custom, culture, and religion that provided her with the strength to endure."

(H.S., p. 278)

Review Cache
Hadrian

message 2: by Hadrian (new)

Hadrian (hadrian_gr) This is a different edition of The Memoirs of Lady Hyegyong. It's a compelling book, partly because it's looking at a lifestyle so alien to ours and yet so familiar.

I already posted a review, here.

message 3: by Aubrey (new) - added it

Aubrey (korrick) | 2004 comments Thanks for your review, Hadrian, as well as alerting me to the existence of another edition. I'll be doing some librarian work once the combination tool is working again.

message 4: by Hadrian (new)

Hadrian (hadrian_gr) It's also a different translation, so that's something to consider.