Crazy for Young Adult Books discussion

BLIND DATE: ARCHIVED > ✗ Pair 17: E. & Vicki (August 2014)

Comments Showing 1-48 of 48 (48 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Gisbelle (last edited Jul 26, 2014 04:14PM) (new)

Gisbelle | 27299 comments Blind Date Challenge: E. & Vicki

Task: Author’s name starts with letter “H”

message 2: by Gisbelle (last edited Aug 31, 2014 06:14PM) (new)

Gisbelle | 27299 comments Badges

description

message 3: by Vicki (new)

Vicki (goodreadscomboobooper49) | 32355 comments E, I know you've gone to bed for the night but when you see this our first task is to decide on a number. Some numbers are already taken or will be by time we get around to picking. I only have a couple numbers in mind but I'm open to any numbers that you feel lucky with.

If these aren't taken when you see this, I suggest #19 or 28. But I'm totally open to ANY number so let me know here on this thread.

Once we give Gisbelle our number she'll post out task and we can decide what we want to read.

message 4: by Eduardo (new)

Eduardo M. | 243 comments I'll go with 28

message 5: by Vicki (new)

Vicki (goodreadscomboobooper49) | 32355 comments Okay I'll post it if it's not taken. :)

message 6: by Vicki (last edited Jul 26, 2014 07:26AM) (new)

Vicki (goodreadscomboobooper49) | 32355 comments Gis, I posted in the Blind Date thread and I'll post here if it makes it easier. E and I are going with #28 in hopes it'll land us a good task. LOL

message 7: by Trisha, lives on coffee (new)

Trisha | 31440 comments hhahah!! Maybe I'll come crash your guys' thread too (once you see your task and pick a book)
as long as that's okay with you guys :)

message 8: by Vicki (new)

Vicki (goodreadscomboobooper49) | 32355 comments It will be more than okay with me! :)

message 9: by Gisbelle (new)

Gisbelle | 27299 comments Added

message 10: by Vicki (new)

Vicki (goodreadscomboobooper49) | 32355 comments Gis, is the letter H for first or last name or either?

message 11: by Gisbelle (new)

Gisbelle | 27299 comments Either one is okay

message 12: by Vicki (new)

Vicki (goodreadscomboobooper49) | 32355 comments Thanks, Gis. I'll start looking!

E., do you have any special authors whose name begins with H? I'm thinking on it. Lol

message 13: by Vicki (last edited Jul 26, 2014 05:31PM) (new)

Vicki (goodreadscomboobooper49) | 32355 comments I did a little hunting but I don't really know what type of books you like, so here are a few suggestions:

Ellen Hopkins Glass (Crank, #2) by Ellen Hopkins (if you have read book 1, CRANK) Smoke (Burned, #2) by Ellen Hopkins Impulse (Impulse, #1) by Ellen Hopkins

Colleen Houck Tiger's Curse by Colleen Houck

A.G. Howard Splintered by A.G. Howard

Amanda Hocking Hollowland (The Hollows, #1) by Amanda Hocking

Julia Hoban Willow by Julia Hoban

Cynthia Hand Unearthly (Unearthly, #1) by Cynthia Hand

Alyxandra Harvey Bleeding Love by Alyxandra Harvey

Julie Halpern The F- It List by Julie Halpern

Khaled Hosseini The Kite Runner by Khaled Hosseini Thousand Splendid Suns by Khaled Hosseini

I am totally open to different genres/authors if you have any ideas and these books are just a start. We don't have to choose from this list and we have few days to decide. So if you have suggestions please post them here, and if you don't care for any of these I'll keep looking. I just can't think of first names that start with an H until I see it. LOL

message 14: by Vicki (new)

Vicki (goodreadscomboobooper49) | 32355 comments This is a list of authors with last name beginning with H if you'd like to look: https://www.goodreads.com/list/show/2...

message 15: by Eduardo (new)

Eduardo M. | 243 comments Ellen Hopkins sounds great. But what is exactly that we have to do with that author.

message 16: by Jacquelyn, thebrunettebooknerd (new)

Jacquelyn (jacquelynreads) | 19024 comments E. wrote: "Ellen Hopkins sounds great. But what is exactly that we have to do with that author."

You would have to read a book by her or any other author with a first or last name starting with H to complete the challenge.

message 17: by Eduardo (new)

Eduardo M. | 243 comments Okay thanks, now I understand.

message 18: by Vicki (new)

Vicki (goodreadscomboobooper49) | 32355 comments E., have you read CRANK? If so, we could read GLASS. If not, which book do you want to read?

Once we choose and we start reading, we use this thread here to discuss what we're reading. Do you know how to make spoilers?

message 19: by Eduardo (new)

Eduardo M. | 243 comments I have not read Crank I would love to read it. And yes I do know how to put spoilers.

message 20: by Vicki (new)

Vicki (goodreadscomboobooper49) | 32355 comments Well, we can do one of two things then. You can read CRANK on your own and then we can read GLASS together since we are supposed to read a book that neither of us read yet and I've read CRANK. Or we can go with another one of her series and start with book 1. Which would work better for you?

message 21: by Eduardo (new)

Eduardo M. | 243 comments I guess we can start another series from her so we can both be reading the same book. What do you think about reading Burned.

message 22: by Vicki (new)

Vicki (goodreadscomboobooper49) | 32355 comments That sounds perfect! When would you like to start reading it?

message 23: by Eduardo (new)

Eduardo M. | 243 comments We can start on Friday, how does that sound?

message 24: by Vicki (new)

Vicki (goodreadscomboobooper49) | 32355 comments Perfect! :) I'll get my book and be ready.

Have you ever read her books before? I've only read CRANK.

message 25: by Eduardo (new)

Eduardo M. | 243 comments I haven't read her books before. I am looking forward to finally reading one of her books.

message 26: by Vicki (new)

Vicki (goodreadscomboobooper49) | 32355 comments I'm so happy to get to read your first Ellen Hopkins book with you! I used to buy her books for my older grandkids and they'd share them. Hopkins' books are written in verse, so they are pretty quick read, too. I'm very excited.

Do you mind if I ask you if you are an adult or are you in high school? College? I don't see an actual profile on your GR homepage.

I'm a grandmother of 19: 10 boys and 9 girls, and I JUST had my first great-grandchild, a boy. :o)

message 27: by Eduardo (new)

Eduardo M. | 243 comments I'm in high school. I will be going into my senior year, one more year to go.

message 28: by Vicki (new)

Vicki (goodreadscomboobooper49) | 32355 comments That's great! Hope your senior year is really good and you don't get senioritis! Lol

message 29: by Vicki (new)

Vicki (goodreadscomboobooper49) | 32355 comments Hi E., are you ready for this tomorrow? My book arrived at the library so I'll be picking it up today. Let me know if you have any problems getting your copy.

I am a teacher and I start back to work tomorrow, so I really need to start our book tomorrow. Sure hope we enjoy it but with Hopkins how can we go wrong? LOL

message 30: by Eduardo (new)

Eduardo M. | 243 comments Im going to buy the book tomorrow at a Barnes and Noble. I had a look at it and it looks like it's going to be a quick read.

message 31: by Vicki (new)

Vicki (goodreadscomboobooper49) | 32355 comments Yeah, I'm sure it will be and a good one!

How do you want to buddy read? I haven't seen the inside of it but if we have the same book type and number of pages we can read so much a day, or we can read on our own schedules however much we want to and can. Then we post here for discussion using spoilers so we don't spoil it for each other or others who might come on and read our discussions but not want to see spoilers.

I'm okay reading it either way so just let me know. In really excited to read this one with you.

Where (state) do you live? I'm in California in the Central Valley.

message 32: by Eduardo (new)

Eduardo M. | 243 comments I think we should come up with a page number each day so that we can be on the same page.

Im from NY in the Bronx.

message 33: by Vicki (new)

Vicki (goodreadscomboobooper49) | 32355 comments Okay. When you have your book let me know and we'll compare our editions. I'll let you know later today which version I have.

I visited NY about 8 years ago and loved it! I met some people there that I'd met online and we all (6) wanted to meet in person so I flew there and we had a blast! It was a short 3-day visit but I got to see the Statue of Liberty and see Phantom of the Opera at The Majestic! It was so awesome!!!

message 34: by Eduardo (new)

Eduardo M. | 243 comments That's cool.

message 35: by Vicki (new)

Vicki (goodreadscomboobooper49) | 32355 comments I have a paperback version with 531 pages in it. Do you want to read 100 pages a day? It would look like this:

Friday: 1-100
Saturday: 101-200
Sunday: 201-300
Monday: 301-401
Tuesday: 402-531

message 36: by Eduardo (new)

Eduardo M. | 243 comments Yes i can do a 100 pages a day.

message 37: by Eduardo (new)

Eduardo M. | 243 comments When you have a chance can you tell me what chapters we have to stop on because i think i will have to read the book on ibooks.

message 38: by Vicki (new)

Vicki (goodreadscomboobooper49) | 32355 comments No problem. For clarity I'll list the last chapter that you will read, so what I put will be included for that day's reading.

Friday: "With His Arm Around Me"
Saturday: "Aunt J Figured"
Sunday: "Ethan Started Stopping By"
Monday: "Ethan Drove Me Home"
Tuesday: "Plans Made"

Sorry about the delay but I think we have a 3 hour time difference or possibly two.

message 39: by Eduardo (new)

Eduardo M. | 243 comments I pick up the book. I have the same copy so there wont be much of a problem.

message 40: by Vicki (last edited Aug 01, 2014 08:20AM) (new)

Vicki (goodreadscomboobooper49) | 32355 comments That's great! I finished the reading which was very quick. I'm really curious to know what you think.

I've only read one of Hopkins' books (CRANK) and had no idea what Burned was about. It's definitely a coming of age story, a time when teens begin to question their values and whether they will accept the values and religious beliefs they've been taught and so forth.

One thing I found interesting about this book and definitely could relate to was (view spoiler)

Pattyn: (view spoiler)

Pattyn's upbringing: (view spoiler)

Pattyn's father: (view spoiler)

Pattyn's mother: (view spoiler)

Derek: (view spoiler)

message 41: by Vicki (new)

Vicki (goodreadscomboobooper49) | 32355 comments Finished with Day 2 reading.

Pattyn (view spoiler)

Derek (view spoiler)

I'll post more after you've posted some.

message 42: by Eduardo (last edited Aug 02, 2014 06:14AM) (new)

Eduardo M. | 243 comments Sorry for the late post.
This book is going by very quickly. The thickness of the book kind of made me worry as if whether i would actually finish the book, but now i am certain that i will.

Pattyn: (view spoiler)

message 43: by Vicki (new)

Vicki (goodreadscomboobooper49) | 32355 comments Yeah, it's very fast reading. Can't wait to hear your thoughts!

message 44: by Vicki (new)

Vicki (goodreadscomboobooper49) | 32355 comments Don't read these spoilers until after you've finished pg.300. I couldn't help myself but to read on.

I am really upset that her (view spoiler)

It is pretty much a part of life that teenagers are going to (view spoiler)

Everyone in life needs (view spoiler)

Ethan (view spoiler)

message 45: by Vicki (new)

Vicki (goodreadscomboobooper49) | 32355 comments How are you doing E? I had to finish it because I was enjoying it too much. LOL You said you wanted to read it at the same pace, but since you aren't posting I don't know where you are so I didn't think you'd mind if I went ahead and finished it.

I was talking with my 19 year old grandson and he read BURNED when he was younger and he said he read it the day he got it and he loved it so much that he read it again the next day.

I love the writing. I actually liked it even more than CRANK.

message 46: by Vicki (new)

Vicki (goodreadscomboobooper49) | 32355 comments E. how are you doing? I sure would love to hear your thoughts!

message 47: by Eduardo (new)

Eduardo M. | 243 comments I finally finished the book. I will post some of my thoughts when I get a chance. Sorry about the delay.

message 48: by Vicki (new)

Vicki (goodreadscomboobooper49) | 32355 comments That's great! :)