The Hopefuls discussion

Discussions about Books > Any suggestions?

Comments Showing 1-13 of 13 (13 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Ash (new)

Ash (ashiew) Hello all of you lovely Hopefuls! :) I hope I am posting this under the correct area in the forums but I was wondering if ya'll could help me out.

So soon I will be going into university to study Psychology and I was wondering if ya'll had any books that you would recommend that would help for further reading and such. Anything that helped you out or helped you understand things better or really just anything in general would help. I am not sure when exactly I'll start my classes. I am hoping this year or the beginning of next year (hopefully ASAP but it just depends on some things. I am hoping to get into classes before the end of the year but I guess I will just have to see how it all works out.). I am planning on going into counseling or therapy or something along those general lines, but I also will read just about anything about Psychology because I just want to learn all of the things :). (Also I know I am like 19 and haven't started university yet but I needed some time to sort through some personal things.)

Also if any of you have taken a Psychology course or something like that, if ya'll had any advice or words of wisdom I would love to hear it. Thanks and I hope all of you have a lovely day :) <3

message 2: by Erin (new)

Erin Finlen | 19 comments I recommend both Oliver Sacks books: The Man Who Mistook His Wife for a Hat and Hallucinations. They are really interesting but written so you don't have to have to be a doctor to understand them :)

message 3: by Ash (new)

Ash (ashiew) Erin wrote: "I recommend both Oliver Sacks books: The Man Who Mistook His Wife for a Hat and Hallucinations. They are really interesting but written so you don't have to have to be a doctor to understand them :)"

Thank you so much! :) I own the first one you mentioned but haven't read it yet, so now I am really excited to read it. I haven't heard of the second one. I will definitely check it out when I get the chance. Thank you! :)

message 4: by Erin (new)

Erin Finlen | 19 comments No problem! I hope you enjoy psychology! It's a fun area to study!

message 5: by Ash (new)

Ash (ashiew) I am so excited tomorrow I am going to a university to get some info and hopefully be one step closer to starting classes!

message 6: by Catalina (new)

Catalina (catalinaa) | 152 comments That sounds awesome, good luck! :D

message 7: by Ash (new)

Ash (ashiew) Catalina wrote: "That sounds awesome, good luck! :D"

Thank you! :)

message 8: by Ash (new)

Ash (ashiew) So I went to the university yesterday and it went well. :) Everyone was really nice and helpful. I got a lot of my questions answered so this is definitely the university I am going to go to. I am planning on applying for online classes in a couple of months. Oh and a weird thing is that this university is on the second floor of an office building that houses several different businesses so that was odd but kind of cool. The spot they had on the second floor was nice and laid back. I am just so excited. A bit nervous but also just really excited.

message 9: by Rikki (new)

Rikki (rikkicaron) | 112 comments coool it's what I want do study in 2 yrs for uni as well! let me know how it goes =)

message 10: by Rikki (new)

Rikki (rikkicaron) | 112 comments also I know this is reallly random but I met rainbow rowell! I she gave a great talk and signed my books!

message 11: by Ash (new)

Ash (ashiew) Awesome I will definitely let you know how my classes go once I start. :) And omg that is so exciting!!!!!! So glad you got to do that!!!! Sounds like a fun experience. :)

message 12: by Darby (new)

Darby | 217 comments Psychology is my favorite class. It's mostly because we have the nicest and most amazing teacher ever. His name is mr. Mather, he's taught at out school for at least 15 years and he doesn't age. It's like he'll eternally look 42. I took it as Honors last year (mid level of advancement) and this year I'm hoping to have it AP (highest level of advancement). We're always watching movies and doing coloring activities. I got into it because my Bestie wants to be an FBI criminal profiler (basically a Sweets from Bones)

message 13: by Ash (new)

Ash (ashiew) Darby wrote: "Psychology is my favorite class. It's mostly because we have the nicest and most amazing teacher ever. His name is mr. Mather, he's taught at out school for at least 15 years and he doesn't age. It..."

Wow my best friend wants to do FBI stuff too! Small world :) And that is so awesome. A teacher can make or break a class. I will be doing online but hopefully it will still be really fun. :)