Hockey Twitter Book Club discussion

The Game
This topic is about The Game
[Current Group Book] The Game

Comments Showing 1-13 of 13 (13 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Hockey (new)

Hockey Babble (hockeybabble) | 4 comments Mod
I've just started this book, I'm 75 pages in, and I am in love. I would love to hear all of your thoughts about this awesome book. I'm a little gush-y about it right now so I'm going to hold off on extended commentary until I can be more rational about it.

Kevin M. (kmad) I read this ages ago. Dryden's outstandingly lucid and thoughtful, especially for an athlete. This book transcends the sport. That said, it's still the best sports book ever written.

Terri | 3 comments Kevin wrote: "I read this ages ago. Dryden's outstandingly lucid and thoughtful, especially for an athlete. This book transcends the sport. That said, it's still the best sports book ever written."

You should read his 30th anniversary edition. He added a chapter. He never got to spend his "days" with the Cup when he won it, since that tradition wasn't around and had been toying around with the idea of asking the NHL if he could do it. Then he heard they were gonna tear up the driveway of his parents house, where he learned to play, and...it was good.

Kevin M. (kmad) Terri wrote: "Kevin wrote: "I read this ages ago. Dryden's outstandingly lucid and thoughtful, especially for an athlete. This book transcends the sport. That said, it's still the best sports book ever written."..."

It probably is worth another read.

Terri | 3 comments Kevin wrote: "Terri wrote: "Kevin wrote: "I read this ages ago. Dryden's outstandingly lucid and thoughtful, especially for an athlete. This book transcends the sport. That said, it's still the best sports book ..."

I read it every year, at the beginning of the season. But I love re-reading books.

Kevin M. (kmad) Terri wrote: "Kevin wrote: "Terri wrote: "Kevin wrote: "I read this ages ago. Dryden's outstandingly lucid and thoughtful, especially for an athlete. This book transcends the sport. That said, it's still the bes..."

I can't do that. There are so many books I haven't read yet. And every book I read makes me want to read two more. I can't slay the demon. I can't go back!

message 7: by Brendan (last edited Jul 25, 2014 09:12PM) (new) - added it

Brendan (bwalshy) | 1 comments Hello all, found this through Hockey general discussion.

I own the game, got about 120 pages or so in, but never finished. Might use this as an excuse to finish it finally in between Clash of Kings.

message 8: by Josh (new) - added it

Josh Edington | 2 comments I'm only on page 30 or so, but I'm greatly enjoying his writing style so far. I'm hoping to get some more read tonight after work.

David Gove (lakingsdave) | 2 comments What if I've already read this book?

message 10: by Josh (new) - added it

Josh Edington | 2 comments David wrote: "What if I've already read this book?"

Read it again!

message 11: by Hockey (new)

Josh wrote: "David wrote: "What if I've already read this book?"

Read it again!"

Or just talk about it! If you're stumped as to what to say, let's start with this: How did this book compare to what you expected when you started reading it?

message 12: by Hockey (new)

To answer my own question (like the obnoxious jerk I am), and with the caveat that I've not finished yet, I will say that the tone of the book was not at all what I expected. I had heard that this was the greatest hockey book - and possibly the greatest sports book - of all time, but having never read any sports literature before, my expectations were fairly low. I was startled by the easy manner of the voice of Mr. Dryden, and I felt (as I mentioned earlier on twitter) as if I was sitting down with a friend over a drink and he was telling me one of those amazingly rich stories that lasts for hours, but feels as if it were told in minutes. His incredibly thoughtful insights into changing, growing older (not old! Just older) and moving into different phases of life startled me with their universality.

David Gove (lakingsdave) | 2 comments Hockey wrote: "To answer my own question (like the obnoxious jerk I am), and with the caveat that I've not finished yet, I will say that the tone of the book was not at all what I expected. I had heard that this ..."

Dryden did take a year off from the NHL to finish his law degree and had no intention of playing more than 10 years in the NHL because he wanted to move into law. He's a smart dude.