The Complete Stories and Poems The Complete Stories and Poems discussion

Favorite Story or Poem?

Comments Showing 1-45 of 45 (45 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Amber What is your favorite story or poem by Poe and why?

I am hoping to write some short stories with a theme of Poe and so I am curious about how people feel about his work and how it has influenced people.

Amber I don't think there's anything wrong with having a favorite that other people love too. It's a favorite because it's amazing, not amazing because it's a favorite. The Masque of Red Death is a favorite of mine, as well. And I believe its message is still pretty relevant to this day.

message 3: by Jason (last edited Jul 26, 2014 01:16PM) (new)

Jason Sullivan It's hard to chose only one but my favorite short story is probably Shadow, And my favorite poem is O, Tempora! O, Mores!

Read me two times My fav story is The fall of the house of Usher *___* followed by The Masque of the red death...
My fav poem is The raven, followed by Al Aaraaf <3

message 5: by TJ (new) - rated it 4 stars

TJ Poem - A tie between "The Raven" and "Annabel Lee." "The Bells" is close. Short story is hands down "The Cask of Amontillado." There is so much going on in that story and the irony and symbolism just drips off the page.

message 6: by [deleted user] (new)

The Fall of the House of Usher and Murders in the Rue Morgue.

The symbolism in Usher makes the entire story worth re-reading a thousand times, and every time you learn something new about the story. Not only that but the story emphasizes the devastation one truly feels when they realize they have just witnessed the end to an entire, long-lasting bloodline. Poe also makes very good use of the details in that every single detail mentioned is crucially important; if you forget a single detail you have actually just lost knowledge about the plot. It's very interesting, and this is, in my opinion, the best example of such importance in detail in short-form writing ever. Roderick's sickness is a physical manifestation of his wavering morality and the house's crumbling is a representation of Roderick's health.

As for Rue Morgue, I found the entire idea of Dupin's character really interesting.

Overall, Poe has a really heavy hand in writing Gothic stories, and he may very well be the best to ever write in the movement. The way he writes in flowery prose about very dark situations with great plots and amazing symbolism is what makes him such a readable author.

Not only that, but I love that he has his own recurring identifiable elements that mar so many Poe stories: characters with unnamed ailments and often an unnamed narrator surrounded by characters whose names often bare more meaning than is let on, and the way that the environment, weather and man-made structures often reflect the things that are going on and serve as a double-telling of the tale: these are all things that make his stories genius.

Gerd TJ wrote: "Poem - A tie between "The Raven" and "Annabel Lee."

Dito. :)
"The Raven", well it's a classic an I can so relate to the character's being stuck in the past. "Annabel Lee" is just so romantic, in a tragic way, that you have to love it.

Stories:
I always loved the morbid "The Fall of the House of Usher", "Metzengerstein" is another tale of his I was always fascinated with - but I still couldn't tell you what it's supposed to be about.

Renee E Overall, the poem is Annabelle Lee. The lyricism and melody of it are, for me, unsurpassed, and managing to tell a story so lucidly while keeping that flow without having to compromise either the story or the meter is a feat.

The only basis on which I can choose a favorite among his stories is which one stuck in my mind most vividly: The Pit and the Pendulum.

Mary My favorite story is the cask of amalitalo. I usually receive a different perspective each time I read it.

message 10: by [deleted user] (new)

Esther wrote: "Absolutely agree that Poe is a master of that, very well detected! "

Thanks lol. I've been reading his stuff for a long time, and they're all great, but there are like six or seven I know inside and out because I've read them so many times; Usher and Rue Morgue are two of them. So good.

message 11: by R.K. (new) - added it

R.K. Howard It's difficult to give just one answer as they all have a place for me as a reader (and a writer). I would say "The Pit and the Pendulum" was my favorite with a great ending-hook. "A Descent Into the Maelstrom" was my favorite nail-biter.

Any question that makes me think back on my readings of Poe stories is always a great question in my book, so thanks.

-RKH

Phoebe Gonzales Esther wrote: "My favourite poem is definitely The Raven. Of course, most people would say that because it's so popular. But it is just unbearably powerful. I get goosebumps every time I read it. And then this do..."

I feel the exact same way about The Raven! It really is incredibly powerful.

message 13: by [deleted user] (new)

Story: "The Pit and the Pendulum"
Poem: "Annabel Lee"

message 14: by Narayan (new)

Narayan Liu The Raven was the first I read of Edgar Allen Poe and it remains my favourite.

Stefano The Raven & The Masque of the Red Death are definitely my favorites; if you like the Raven take the time to look for the audio-version read by Christopher Lee, truly a masterpiece.

Amber https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MyxsP...

I just listened to it, thanks for the recommendation!

Stefano You're welcome! I personally think Lee does a great job in conveying the emotions in the poem, his interpretation is my favourite so far :) i hope you enjoyed it as well

Amber I really did, very much. Gave me chills in some places. It was definitely one of my more favorite readings of the poem.

Stefano http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=ofSOul1NB8Q

this version has background music and sounds, it adds to the sinister atmosphere

Amber Oooh it does add a little something, doesn't it? I am half tempted to make an MP3 out of it and listen to it when I go to bed.

Stefano Lol that's what I did. It's a nice thing to do when you're "safe" under your covers. Especially if it's storming outside

message 22: by Renee E (last edited Sep 22, 2014 12:11PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Renee E Have you seen this? http://www.frequency.com/video/annabe...-

There are several others, Ulalume, The Raven read by Christopher Walken, Iggy Pop does The Tale Tell Heart . . .

message 23: by Tim (new) - rated it 5 stars

Tim Stanton I always liked: A Dream Within a Dream. I think it perfectly captures our inability to fight against the passage and effect of time... For stories, I like Masque of the Red Death as it elaborates on this same idea.

message 24: by Karen (new)

Karen Renee wrote: "Have you seen this? http://www.frequency.com/video/annabe...-

There are several others, Ulalume, The Raven read by Christopher Walken, Iggy Pop does The..."

I just saw this- Iggy Pop doing the Tell Tale Heart? I bet it's great, he has a great voice!
I agree on Annabelle Lee, I can't even read it without tearing up!

Renee E I can't believe I haven't found Nick Cave reading Poe!

message 26: by Karen (new)

Karen Renee wrote: "I can't believe I haven't found Nick Cave reading Poe!"

Keep looking!

message 27: by Carrie (last edited Sep 22, 2014 05:21PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Carrie The Tell Tale Heart

Renee E Karen wrote: "Renee wrote: "I can't believe I haven't found Nick Cave reading Poe!"

Keep looking!"

He's compared to Poe all over the place, but so far no readings. :-(

O'Malley's Bar is as close to a modern-day Poe story as you could probably get though.

Nicole My all-time favorite has to be The Angel of the Odd. It has a relatively dark humor to it and seems a bit out of character for Poe.

Amber It's nice to see people adding some of the less popular stories, I'll have to go back and re-read some of them with new eyes.

Brooklyn Ann ALONE is my all time favorite poem.

Papaphilly My favorite story is The Cask of Amontillado and my favorite poem is the Raven, but Annabel Lee is very close.

message 33: by Karen (new)

Karen Papaphilly wrote: "My favorite story is The Cask of Amontillado and my favorite poem is the Raven, but Annabel Lee is very close."

Annabel Lee is perfect.

Papaphilly Karen wrote: "Papaphilly wrote: "My favorite story is The Cask of Amontillado and my favorite poem is the Raven, but Annabel Lee is very close."

Annabel Lee is perfect."

It tears at my heart, but the Raven is other worldly.

message 35: by Karen (new)

Karen Papaphilly wrote: "Karen wrote: "Papaphilly wrote: "My favorite story is The Cask of Amontillado and my favorite poem is the Raven, but Annabel Lee is very close."

Annabel Lee is perfect."

It tears at..."

It is, will have to read it again, it's been a long time

message 36: by Mary (new) - rated it 5 stars

Mary Karen wrote: "Papaphilly wrote: "Karen wrote: "Papaphilly wrote: "My favorite story is The Cask of Amontillado and my favorite poem is the Raven, but Annabel Lee is very close."

Annabel Lee is per..."

Same here Annabel Lee was always a favorite.

message 37: by Benjamin (last edited Nov 02, 2014 06:22AM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

Benjamin Stahl Narrative Of A. Gordon Pym was one of my favourites. But I've always loved The Black Cat as well for it's very distressing and refuses to be forgotten. I'm not a fan of poetry so the only one I can really say I enjoyed was, of course, his most famous The Raven

message 38: by [deleted user] (new)

My favorite poems by Poe are "The Bells" (for the alliteration and song-like quality) and "Eldorado" (because it's something so unexpected to have been written by Poe in terms of its content and style). My favorite short story is "The Fall of the House of Usher" (for its creepiness!). Poe was just a brilliant writer, compelling, evocative, clearly passionate about his work.

message 39: by Angela (new)

Angela Nock The Pit and the Pendulum and The Raven are my faves

message 40: by Rick (new) - rated it 5 stars

Rick Story yes; "A Descent Into The Maelstrom"
...a whole story with a spot just under your eye"

message 41: by Rick (new) - rated it 5 stars

Rick "Berenice".

message 42: by Ron (new) - rated it 5 stars

Ron awe...too many poems are memorable, but as to the story this has to be a toss up between The Tell Tale Heart (sheer paranoia at play!)and The Cask of Almontillado (buried alive...er I mean bricked/stoned in alive! creepy)

Tiffany I love all things Poe, but I would have to say Annabel Lee. I had to memorize the poem word for word including punctuation. That poem has always spoken deeply to my heart and I always keep a copy of it on my person. I even have it taped to my wall.

Lillian The Raven!!

message 45: by Zachary (last edited Dec 18, 2014 08:06PM) (new)

Zachary White Poe is an amazing author. Particularly, I enjoy "The Tell Tale Heart" out of all of his works as short stories. "A Dream Within A Dream" has to be my favorite poem though. Poe's style of writing always sends shivers down my spine and covers me in goose-bumps.