Book Buying Addicts Anonymous discussion

Good Buys > Don't burn books, but you CAN burn those coupons!

Comments Showing 1-39 of 39 (39 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Joseph (new)

Joseph  (bluemanticore) | 1866 comments Mod
My friends, please remember that just because you have a coupon does not mean you have to use it. If you buy with a coupon a book you hadn't planned on buying does not mean you are saving money, you are actually spending money. So don't feel you have to use that tempting coupon. Delete it, tear it up, burn it if you have to, but don't succumb to the temptation! Come here if you need the support to get rid of it, we'll help you out. :-)

message 2: by [deleted user] (new)

*gasp* that's sacriledge! LOL

message 3: by Schnaucl (new)

Schnaucl | 43 comments Joseph wrote: "My friends, please remember that just because you have a coupon does not mean you have to use it. If you buy with a coupon a book you hadn't planned on buying does not mean you are saving money, y..."

And remember that it won't be longer than a week or two before you get the same coupon again.

message 4: by Lauren (new)

Lauren | 106 comments Hahaha this is great! I still have my coupon on my email. Only good news is I have no Ink at to print it

message 5: by Joseph (new)

I'm worried Borders might really be hurting for business. They've offered two 40% off coupons in the last two weeks and now I get another coupon in the email, this one buy any book get any book 50% off! It's only good today and tomorrow, but it is SO tempting! Help, I can feel it dragging me in! lol

message 6: by Lauren (new)

Lauren | 106 comments no u must resist hahaha. I went to borders with out my coupon but they were able to give me the 40% off cause I had my rewards card.

You really think that they are having a hard time?

message 7: by Joseph (last edited Aug 18, 2009 06:26AM) (new)

Lauren, it just seems that I have not seen SO many offers of such high percents off in such a short time period ever from Borders. I just think the only reason they would be offering such great deals is to try and get people into the store more often to of course buy more. My local Borders has recently let go quite a bit of their staff as well as cutting hours, they open an hour later than they use to. Unfortunately, at least at my store, this has really hurt them, since their service is not as good as it used to be with so few staff to serve customers. I'd like to keep them in business, but I must admit, Amazon has taken a large percent of my spending away from Borders since this happened.

message 8: by Lauren (new)

Lauren | 106 comments I see. Thats sucks they had to let people go. I usually make a lot of book purchases on betterworldbooks.com they have no shipping for U.S.
I love Amazon too. A lot of times I go into Borders with my game plan on books i want to get and they don't have them. Some times it's just better to order off line.

message 9: by Joseph (new)

Pretty much the way I go about it nowadays is any new hardcovers I want I buy from Amazon, since they usually offer at least 34% off the cover price. Amazon doesn't offer deals on paperbacks, so I wait until I get a coupon from Borders, usually 25-30% off, and buy them new there. Any holes I need to fill in on old series I collect I usually wait and just keep my eyes open at used book sales at the local libraries. That's the one place where I actually have patience to wait. lol. I try to limit myself to only spending $50 a month on books only from those three providers and only books on my shopping list, otherwise I really wouldn't have any money for other essentials like food or clothing. ;-) At the moment, I do actually have about $30 left for this month, but I only have one book this month on my shopping list, so I am hemming and hawing whether or not to use the current Borders' coupon to fill in some used book holes with new paperbacks.

message 10: by Lauren (new)

Lauren | 106 comments That's a tough one. For me as long as I stay away from the book store im am good. I am trying to only spend cash on books but again I over do it some times and I need to buy groceries or gas for car. I just do one or two books in store. online i get a lot more :)

message 11: by Schnaucl (new)

Schnaucl | 43 comments Joseph wrote: "I'm worried Borders might really be hurting for business. They've offered two 40% off coupons in the last two weeks and now I get another coupon in the email, this one buy any book get any book 50..."

I think they are, actually. Borders and B&N are both in financial trouble, though as far as I know neither one is nearing bankruptcy.

message 12: by Joseph (new)

Well, Borders just got some help from me. I succumbed to the dark side of the Force. I made use of that darn Buy One Get One 50% off coupon, twice. I came home with:
A Grave Talent
To Play the Fool
Chicken Soup for the Gardener's Soul, 101 Stories to Sow Seeds of Love, Hope and Laughter
Chicken Soup For The Horse Lover's Soul Inspirational Stories About Horses and the People Who Love Them

Dang it, why can't I practice what I preach? Oh well.

message 13: by Kelley Anne (new)

Kelley Anne lol, that's great! Unfortunatly, I am caught in the trap of "I have a coupon, I have to use it!!!"

And Lauren, not having ink in my printer didn't work for me. I just found out that if you write down the promo code listed on it, you don't have to print out the coupon.

message 14: by Lauren (new)

Lauren | 106 comments haha Kelley Anne,
It didn't work for me either cause I ended up there anyway told them I forgot my coupon and they asked for my members card and gave me the promo.

only thing that works is not going haha

message 15: by Anne (new)

Anne (booklover6) I am not going to use any more of their coupons! I mean really, the book is still more than what I should spend! More than the cost of a credit at PBS! More than many books at www.thebookdepository.com, where shipping is all free! So I hereby vow to no longer succumb to the call of the coupon!!!

message 16: by Kelley Anne (new)

Kelley Anne Ok! You really shouldn't have told me about the buy one get one free coupon! I never got that email from borders, which is really weird because I get things from them constantly. But, because I knew about it, I ended up at the store, bought 2 books (one of which I hadn't even heard of before I walked into the store) and used the BYGO coupon.

message 17: by Joseph (last edited Aug 24, 2009 05:52AM) (new)

Yeah, I know this is going to make me sound like a hypocrite :-) , but I just discovered a free website that provides links to all sorts of coupons from all sorts of places, such as books stores like Borders and Barnes & Noble. Check out the retail section at www.wow-coupons.com . This way you don't have to wait for the companies to send them to you, when you want to buy you can go see if there are any available. I've been waiting all month for a book to come out, and of course when it does it seems that Borders isn't sending any coupons to me, so I went and got a 20% off one myself. I just hope that book is there before it expires now.

message 18: by Joseph (last edited Sep 03, 2009 06:21AM) (new)

Friends, lend me your strength, please! Borders is offering ANOTHER %40 off coupon! They're sucking me in! Somebody throw me a rope or I'm going to be going back AGAIN to by ANOTHER unplanned book from them, (probably Chicken Soup for the Horse Lover's Soul II Tales of Passion, Achievement and Devotion)! Help!

message 19: by Lauren (new)

Lauren | 106 comments I saw that damn coupon this morning in my email. I printed it. I will be no help as i need help myself...lol. The only thing that keeps me away is if i don't go any where but work and home. must not deviate from the path.

message 20: by Joseph (last edited Sep 03, 2009 07:37AM) (new)

Lauren wrote: "The only thing that keeps me away is if i don't go any where but work and home. must not deviate from the path..."

Lauren, unfortunately that won't work for me. Right between my trip from home to work is the Borders! lol

message 21: by Lauren (new)

Lauren | 106 comments oh no
they only thing that saves me and it's terrible is borders is about 7 min (yeah i timed it) away from my work, but in the other direction of my house and im too lazy some days to go that way.

message 22: by Susan (Suz) (new)

Susan (Suz) (sharney) I'm so excited about the coupon, it's my first one!! LOL LOL I'm definitely going and using it ;) I am going to see if they have the BDB Insiders Guide! If not I'm sure I won't let it go to waste ;)

message 23: by Joseph (new)

Ok, enough is enough. I bought two more books using Borders coupons but that is it for the rest of the year. I only have one more book on my shopping list and that one is ordered from Amazon, so no more succumbing to the siren call of the coupon. Tie me to the ship's mast my friends, please! :-)

message 24: by Lauren (new)

Lauren | 106 comments Joseph you crack me up..
I have to say i to was Unlazy and went to the borders with my coupon and got the bdb insider's guide. and im gonna TRY to go to a used book store and see if i can trade is some books and get some in return

message 25: by Kelley Anne (new)

Kelley Anne The thing that killed me is that I finally gave in, used the 40% off coupon, then when I got home, I had an email for a 30% off coupon! NO! I can't buy anything else, but it's killing me!!! I just really have no self control. It's kinda sad!

message 26: by Susan (Suz) (new)

Susan (Suz) (sharney) LOL, LOL @ Kelley Anne! Neither do I, I HAD to use the 30% off coupon we just got!! So went to borders looking for DarkFever by KMM, didn't have it so walked out with:
Gil's All Fright Diner by A. Lee Martinez Mona Lisa Awakening (Monère, Book 1) by Sunny
Divine By Mistake by P.C. Cast

Borders = EVIL!!!!

message 27: by Sugar.hiccup (new)

Sugar.hiccup (sugar-hiccup) | 2 comments I get coupons almost everday from Borders and I've gotten so I don't even open them up because I know that if I go in the store intending to use the coupon for 1 book I'll come out with 3 extra that I just couldn't live without. I think I will sue them for feeding my sickness. : D

message 28: by Joseph (new)

Sugar.hiccup wrote: "I think I will sue them for feeding my sickness. : D"

Hey, not a bad idea. Maybe we can put together a class action lawsuit among us book buying addicts. Then we can use the money to buy more books! lol

message 29: by Lauren (new)

Lauren | 106 comments question
If you order a book from borders online can you use borders bucks and how do you do that?

message 30: by Tawnya (new)

Tawnya (AvidMysteryReader) | 2 comments I get coupons from Barnes and Noble all the time. Amazon is my crack for books because if you look in the market place you can find some OUTSTANDING deals on books. I have gotten so many a paperback book in great condition for a penny! OMG. Yes, I am an addict. I belong to multiple book clubs and I can not help myself!!

message 31: by Dennis (new)

Dennis It's probably good that the nearest Borders in 30 miles away...

message 32: by MsBeaglely (new)

MsBeaglely | 18 comments Dennis wrote: "It's probably good that the nearest Borders in 30 miles away..."

Same here. There is a Borders close to my work, but there selection is pretty crappy. Every time I go there for a book they don't have it in stock & offer to order it for me.

message 33: by Lauren (new)

Lauren | 106 comments I got my borders coupon and im gonna go after work.
found two books i want. Highlander Unchained (MacLeods of Skye Trilogy, #3) by Monica McCarty and Forbidden Fantasy by Cheryl Holt and i have 5$ in borders bucks so i can actually get one of these books for free!

message 34: by Joseph (new)

Shannon, you've got a Borders coupon burning a hole in your pocket, too, huh? I must say I love your logic!

message 35: by Laura (new)

Laura (highlandhussy) Lauren:
I love Monica McCarty. Her latest one comes out at the end of March. If you like that book, you'll love her Campbell's trilogy-it takes place right after the macleods. Her newest ones are set during the time of the Bruce.
And Joseph,
so funny because I let a Border's coupon expire only because the kids' naps ran late, so I couldn't get there today. Too funny.

message 36: by Rebekah (new)

Rebekah Choat (beckachoat) Having to take a VERY ACTIVE three year old everywhere I go probably saves me hundreds of dollars a year! Of course, I know the coupons work online, too, but I prefer to shop in real, preferably independent or used, book stores, so my shopping impulses are balanced by how much patience I have at any given time for packing up, driving some miles, corraling Little Bit while I try to browse...

message 37: by Laura (new)

Laura (highlandhussy) ha! I hear ya! My 2 year old will run off, and my 5 yr old will think she's helping by chasing him down, but by then it's a game. I order online now as much as possible. paperbackswap.com is awesome

message 38: by Bookcrazywoman (new)

Bookcrazywoman | 3 comments I usually print out several copies and use them
till they expire. I have never had a problem so far.
I just don't use more than one per day. Just go back
several times.

message 39: by Audrey (new)

Audrey Cook Kolbek (audreykol) I get e-coupons all the time for Barnes and Noble, but thank goodness the nearest one to me is about an hour away. I just stalk the local UBS! LOL