Romance Lovers for the Challenge-Impaired discussion

Serendipity (Southern Comfort #1)
This topic is about Serendipity
note: This topic has been closed to new comments.
Archived "Buddy Reads" > Serendipity (Southern Comfort #1) by Lisa Clark O'Neill (Start Date: August 10th, 2014)

Comments Showing 1-50 of 131 (131 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1 3

message 1: by Phoenix (Online Elf), Moderator (last edited Aug 04, 2014 12:43AM) (new)

Phoenix (Online Elf) | 4356 comments

Serendipity, by Lisa Clark O'Neill

It’s a dog eat dog world for Ava Martinez. On the surface her life seems charmed – beauty, brains, a successful veterinary practice – but Ava harbors a secret. And one rash act on a foggy night threatens to destroy it all. The niece of one of the most ruthless crime lords in the country, Ava has lived her life as an unwilling pawn in her uncle’s illegal game. When Ava accidentally stumbles upon an unknown man lying unconscious in the trunk of a car – a man destined for death at the hands of her uncle’s men – she risks her life to get him to safety and to thwart her uncle’s nefarious scheme. Little does she know that lifting the lid of that trunk will be like opening Pandora’s box.

When Assistant District Attorney Jordan Wellington – the man she rescued – brings his dog to the door of her veterinary clinic, she does her best to thwart his amorous intentions, but fate has a different idea. When a walk in the park, a friend’s blind date, seemingly everything throws them together, the normally strong-willed Ava finds herself irrevocably drawn into a seductive and deadly game. Because if Jordan ever regains his memory of that night, both of their lives could be in danger.

✿✿❀✿✿❀✿✿❀✿✿❀✿✿❀✿✿❀✿✿❀✿✿❀✿✿❀✿✿❀✿✿❀✿✿❀✿✿❀✿✿❀✿✿❀

We’re going to try this one as a “buddy read” in August or September (we're still looking at our calendars). Please join us.

Expect Spoilers - but try and hold off until the end of the month. Otherwise put them under a “view spoiler.”

Participants
Christina
Lauren
Lisa Kay
ShoSho
Susan
Vi

message 2: by Phoenix (Online Elf), Moderator (last edited Aug 13, 2014 12:43PM) (new)

Phoenix (Online Elf) | 4356 comments Chapter Breakdown

Date Chapter PPDQs*
August 10th Chp. 01 – 11 Lisa Kay
August 11th Chp. 12 – 15 Lisa Kay
August 12th Chp. 16 – 19 ShoSho
August 13th Chp. 20 – Epilogue Lauren

*PPDQs = Person posting Discussion Questions

message 3: by ShoSho , Moderator (new) - rated it 5 stars

ShoSho  (shoshost) | 12263 comments I'm in and I vote for August

message 4: by Lisa Kay, Moderator (new) - rated it 5 stars

Lisa Kay (lisakayalicemaria) | 20797 comments I think I can make August work for me.

Lauren (laurenjberman) August is good for me too. Beginning, middle, end ...?

message 6: by Lisa Kay, Moderator (new) - rated it 5 stars

Lisa Kay (lisakayalicemaria) | 20797 comments How about August 10th or 11th?

message 7: by ShoSho , Moderator (new) - rated it 5 stars

ShoSho  (shoshost) | 12263 comments Aren't we reading The Saint on the 9th?

Lauren (laurenjberman) ShoSho wrote: "Aren't we reading The Saint on the 9th?"

It says the 4th on the thread.

I'm OK with the 10th for Serendipity

message 9: by Lisa Kay, Moderator (new) - rated it 5 stars

Lisa Kay (lisakayalicemaria) | 20797 comments The newsletter mock-up shows the 4th for The Saint, too, ShoSho.

message 10: by ShoSho , Moderator (new) - rated it 5 stars

ShoSho  (shoshost) | 12263 comments Yep my mistake :P
I'm happy with either 9th or 10th

message 11: by Vi (new) - rated it 4 stars

Vi | 592 comments 10th would be perfect for me too.

message 12: by Lisa Kay, Moderator (new) - rated it 5 stars

Lisa Kay (lisakayalicemaria) | 20797 comments Yay! Glad you're joining us, Vi.

message 13: by Vi (new) - rated it 4 stars

Vi | 592 comments TBH, I almost forgot about it. :P

message 14: by Christina T (new)

Christina T (crysteena73) | 164 comments How will this buddy read work? Read and comment as we go or will someone come up with questions to answer? Oh yeah, I have this one and will try to read it with all y'all.

message 15: by ShoSho , Moderator (new) - rated it 5 stars

ShoSho  (shoshost) | 12263 comments We can do both , I'm leaning towards questions myself!

message 16: by Lisa Kay, Moderator (new) - rated it 5 stars

Lisa Kay (lisakayalicemaria) | 20797 comments I'm leaning towards DQs, too.

Lauren (laurenjberman) I like doing questions too.

message 18: by Susan (susayq ~), Moderator (new) - added it

Susan (susayq ~) (susayq) | 6062 comments Yay!!!

message 19: by Lisa Kay, Moderator (new) - rated it 5 stars

Lisa Kay (lisakayalicemaria) | 20797 comments Susan! Your Internet is back up! Yay!

message 20: by Susan (susayq ~), Moderator (new) - added it

Susan (susayq ~) (susayq) | 6062 comments Lisa Kay wrote: "Susan! Your Internet is back up! Yay!"

Yes :) it's been a hard week lol

message 21: by Lisa Kay, Moderator (new) - rated it 5 stars

Lisa Kay (lisakayalicemaria) | 20797 comments I bet!

message 22: by Phoenix (Online Elf), Moderator (new)

Phoenix (Online Elf) | 4356 comments Chapter Breakdown posted. I have Kindle version, so went by 25% per day.

Lauren (laurenjberman) Night Swimmer (Online Elf) wrote: "Chapter Breakdown posted. I have Kindle version, so went by 25% per day."

Looks great!

I can do the third set of questions.

message 24: by Phoenix (Online Elf), Moderator (new)

Phoenix (Online Elf) | 4356 comments Thanks, lovely Lauren!

message 25: by ShoSho , Moderator (new) - rated it 5 stars

ShoSho  (shoshost) | 12263 comments I'll do the last!

message 26: by Christina T (new)

Christina T (crysteena73) | 164 comments I'm going to participate also.

message 27: by Phoenix (Online Elf), Moderator (new)

Phoenix (Online Elf) | 4356 comments ShoSho wrote: "I'll do the last!"

Thanks, sexy ShoSho.

message 28: by Phoenix (Online Elf), Moderator (new)

Phoenix (Online Elf) | 4356 comments Welcome, charming Christina.

message 29: by ShoSho , Moderator (new) - rated it 5 stars

ShoSho  (shoshost) | 12263 comments Night Swimmer (Online Elf) wrote: "ShoSho wrote: "I'll do the last!"

Thanks, sexy ShoSho."

**Blushes **

Lauren (laurenjberman) Fantastic, Christina!

message 31: by ShoSho , Moderator (new) - rated it 5 stars

ShoSho  (shoshost) | 12263 comments I'll start this next either tonight or in the morning.

message 32: by Lisa Kay, Moderator (new) - rated it 5 stars

Lisa Kay (lisakayalicemaria) | 20797 comments First set of DQs ready to post...

message 33: by ShoSho , Moderator (new) - rated it 5 stars

ShoSho  (shoshost) | 12263 comments @10%
I like the writing. Just too many names!

message 34: by Lisa Kay, Moderator (last edited Aug 10, 2014 08:31AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Lisa Kay (lisakayalicemaria) | 20797 comments Lisa Kay’s DQs for Chapter 1 – 11

1. I like the way the book starts – right into action. Talk about a “meet cute.” Pulling an unconscious guy out of the trunk of an Impala owned by a Mod goon tops them. It actually is what made me want to read the book. And their first kiss is out of the way. LOL! Comments?

2. What do you think of Dr. Ava Martinez so far? What of her efforts to distance herself from her family? Do you blame her?

3. Speaking of Ava’s family: Although we haven’t yet met him, what do you think of Ava’s Uncle Carlos? Does he think he’s “untouchable”? Does he have it in for Ava, or is he really trying to protect her? What of Ava’s father? Is he guilty of murder? And whatever happened to Ava’s mother? Is there a possibility she is still alive?

4. So far, what do you think of Jordan Wellington, Assistant District Attorney? His adoption of Finn? What of his family? Is Jordan going to figure out – or remember – that it was Ava who saved him any time soon? Or will he just think she was in on it all. Or will it be someone else who clues him in?

5. What do you think of the possibility that Elijah Fuller, the man whom Jordan is prosecuting, is innocent? How is Jordan going to handle this, given the pressure he is under politically?

6. Will Uncle Carlos’s goons try and kidnap Steve Finch – the actual target – next?

7. Do you like Katie? Doesn’t look like she gets her own book yet. But Clay does. Looking forward to that. Comments.

8. What do you think happened to Leslie Fitzsimmons, the City Councilwoman who has the hots for Jordan? Did she run afoul of the real murderer of those three women, or maybe Uncle Carlos’s goons?

9. I do love that Lou Ellen Calhoun, Ava’s landlord, is color-blind – and paints! LOL! Comments.

10. I am worried about Lou Ellen confronting that goon that was threatening Ava with a knife. Was he the same one that planted that fake eyeball? Has that goon gone rogue? Or did Uncle Carlos encourage a little intimidation?

11. Of all the vets in the city, Jordan goes to Ava? An accidental meeting in the park? Then, of all the blind dates set-ups, Jordan meets Ava again? Well the book is called Serendipity. Does all this make you smile or just roll your eyes? Comments.

Lauren (laurenjberman) Starting today - really looking forward to this one. Heard great things.

message 36: by ShoSho , Moderator (new) - rated it 5 stars

ShoSho  (shoshost) | 12263 comments Finished chapter 10. I'll answer the Qs in a couple of hours.

message 37: by Lisa Kay, Moderator (new) - rated it 5 stars

Lisa Kay (lisakayalicemaria) | 20797 comments Neat.

message 38: by ShoSho , Moderator (last edited Aug 10, 2014 04:04AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

ShoSho  (shoshost) | 12263 comments 1. I like the way the book starts – right into action. Talk about a “meet cute.” Pulling an unconscious guy out of the trunk of an Impala own by a Mod goon tops them. It actually is what made me want to read the book. And their first kiss is out of the way. LOL! Comments?
I liked it too , it grabbed me from the start! Just like the sleeping beauty only that the beauty wasn't pretty and didn't wake up with a kiss.

2. What do you think of Dr. Ava Martinez so far? What of her efforts to distance herself from her family? Do you blame her?
I like her , she seems tough. I don't blame her I would have done the same , specially from such an uncle !

3. Speaking of Ava’s family: Although we haven’t yet met him, what do you think of Ava’s Uncle Carlos? Does he think he’s “untouchable”? Does he have it in for Ava, or is he really trying to protect her? What of Ava’s father? Is he guilty of murder? And whatever happened to Ava’s mother? Is there a possibility she is still alive?
He sounds like a douch bag , the kind of person you don't want to pass on the street let alone have in your family. No he is not protecting her , he's protecting his own interests. I'm thinking he is guilty . I'm thinking the mother ran away or she is in hiding . I don't think she's dead

4. So far, what do you think of Jordan Wellington, Assistant District Attorney? His adoption of Finn? What of his family? Is Jordan going to figure out – or remember – that it was Ava who saved him any time soon? Or will he just think she was in on it all. Or will it be someone else who clues him in?
Aaww he's a softy ! I enjoy reading their family scenes!
I think he's going to remember something , he just needs the right moment and situation .

5. What do you think of the possibility that Elijah Fuller, the man whom Jordan is prosecuting, is innocent? How is Jordan going to handle this, given the pressure he is under politically?
I'm sure he's innocent .I hope the real killer doesn't have that missing red head

6. Will Uncle Carlos’s goons try and kidnap Steve Finch – the actual target – next?
I think they'll do something to him , kidnap , kill , maim ,... something

7. Do you like Katie? Doesn’t look like she gets her own book yet. But Clay does. Looking forward to that. Comments.
She's funny , I think I like to read her book . I'm thinking Clay is old ,the way he calls Jordan "son ". I don't know

8. What do you think happened to Leslie Fitzsimmons, the City Councilwoman who has the hots for Jordan? Did she run afoul of the real murderer of those three women, or maybe Uncle Carlos’s goons?
Answered this one in Elijah's question . so yes the real murderer

9. I do love that Lou Ellen Calhoun, Ava’s landlord, is color-blind – and paints! LOL! Comments.
me too ! Quite the character !LOL

10. I am worried about Lou Ellen confronting that goon that was threatening Ava with a knife. Was he the same one that planted that fake eyeball? Has that goon gone rogue? Or did Uncle Carlos encourage a little intimidation?
Yep I can't see anything good coming from that confrontation .
The same goon has been following her so he must be the who planted the eyeball . I don't think the uncle would mind a little intimidation

11. Of all the vets in the city, Jordan goes to Ava? An accidental meeting in the park? Then, of all the blind dates set-ups, Jordan meets Ava again? Well the book is calledSerendipity. Does all this make you smile or just roll your eyes? Comments.
I'm not big fan many coincidences in books but this one hasn't bothered me so far . It's funny although this many coincidences can only happen in a really small town in reality .

message 39: by Lisa Kay, Moderator (new) - rated it 5 stars

Lisa Kay (lisakayalicemaria) | 20797 comments @ ShoSho

#3 - I agree with you about the uncle. And I think the uncle might have set up the father, or framed him. However, I think the mother is dead.

#5 - Yeah, I think EF is innocent, too.

#6 - Ditto.

#7 - Nah. Clay is young.

#8 - I can't decide if she ran afoul of the real murderer or Ava's uncle's goons, but something happened to her.

#10 - I'm torn on this goon; seems a little extreme. Make me think he's the murderer, but that would be too much of a coincidence. He's scary.

#11 - Yes, definitely working for me, too. LOL!

Lauren (laurenjberman) Lauren's Answers to Lisa Kay’s DQs for Chapter 1 – 11

1. I like the way the book starts – right into action. Talk about a “meet cute.” Pulling an unconscious guy out of the trunk of an Impala own by a Mod goon tops them. It actually is what made me want to read the book. And their first kiss is out of the way. LOL! Comments?

Lol! Yes, as first meetings go this one is a doozy. I'm still not sure exactly what Ava was doing at the club in the first place though

I like Ava and I can understand he wanting nothing to do with her uncle and even her father. I found it interesting that she doesn't even question the fact that her father is a murderer.

I do, however, wonder why she hasn't gone to the cops about her missing mother.

Yes, Carlos believes he is untouchable but I have a feeling he isn't. I don't think he cares one iota about Ava, he's just worried she'll go to the cops.

Yes, her father is guilty and it looks like Ava thinks so too. She is under no illusions as to her family.

I have a feeling her mother is dead

I love Jordon and his family. There have already been so many laugh out loud moments with them. His mother is wonderful!

Jordan's adoption of Finn has me totally hooked on him. Can't go wrong with a man who loves dogs!

I think that Jordan will eventually remember - I hope this doesn't lead to one of those silly misunderstanding based on a lack of communication tropes - I hate those!

I think that Elijah is innocent and that Leslie is the real killer's latest victim. I wonder if the killer is going to be connected to Ava's uncle in some way.

I can't see Jordan putting an innocent man behind bars and nor for that matter would Clay.

Nah. I think they've learned their lesson

Yes, I like Katie and I would like her to get her own book - unless something happens to her ... there goes my overactive imagination again :0(

Answered above although Uncle Carlos's goons are also an option

She's a fantastic character. I loved the scene with the shotgun, lol!

It looks like he has gone a little rogue but the question is to what extent. I wonder if he might not be the serial killer

11. Of all the vets in the city, Jordan goes to Ava? An accidental meeting in the park? Then, of all the blind dates set-ups, Jordan meets Ava again? Well the book is called Serendipity. Does all this make you smile or just roll your eyes? Comments.

It makes sense given the title of the book and I'm willing to suspend my disbelief in this area - after all it is a romance :0)

Lauren (laurenjberman) @ShoSho

1. Oh, I don't know - that beauty is kinda pretty ;0)

3. Hope you're right. Maybe she witnessed something and ran in the hopes of protecting her daughter.

7. Yes, I also find it weird that he calls Jordon "son" but I think they are the same age.

Lauren (laurenjberman) @Lisa Kay

3. I wonder if her father has been accused of murdering her mother - has it said who he killed?

10. Yes, it would be a coincidence.

message 43: by Lisa Kay, Moderator (last edited Aug 10, 2014 06:09PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Lisa Kay (lisakayalicemaria) | 20797 comments @ Lauren

#1 – True; we don’t know the reason her uncle told her to show up there.

#2 – Fear? Or maybe she believes her mother is alive and doesn’t want to ruin her chances for her having a happy life? Good question, though.

#3 – I’m in-line with your thinking on this one.

#4 – True about his mom, & a man who loves dogs. Yeah, let’s hope the author has something different up her sleeve. Maybe Ave will tell him; I didn’t list that.

#5 – I agree with you here, too. And now I’m back thinking the killer could be the goon. LOL! See how easily I can be swayed?

#6 – I don’t know. They’re pretty stupid. LOL!

#7 – Oh no!

#10 – Good to know I’m not alone.

#11 – True! ♥Romance♥

message 44: by Lisa Kay, Moderator (new) - rated it 5 stars

Lisa Kay (lisakayalicemaria) | 20797 comments Lauren wrote: "3. I wonder if her father has been accused of murdering her mother - has it said who he killed?"

I don't believe so.

message 45: by ShoSho , Moderator (new) - rated it 5 stars

ShoSho  (shoshost) | 12263 comments @Lisa Kay

#3.. And I think the uncle might have set up the father, or framed him I didn't think of that but very good point

#10.Make me think he's the murderer, I thought of that too and you're right it's too much of a coincidence !

message 46: by ShoSho , Moderator (last edited Aug 10, 2014 02:10PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

ShoSho  (shoshost) | 12263 comments @ Lauren

#1. I assumed that she was summoned to the club to be told about the goon that is going to "protect" her .

#2.There must be much more to the mother disappearance than we know !

#4.Ughh I hate those tropes too!

#7.Right after I posted my answers I thought of the same thing! what if the reason she doesn't have a book is that she gets killed in this book!

message 47: by ShoSho , Moderator (new) - rated it 5 stars

ShoSho  (shoshost) | 12263 comments I think Jordan is pushy!

message 48: by Lisa Kay, Moderator (new) - rated it 5 stars

Lisa Kay (lisakayalicemaria) | 20797 comments @ ShoSho - response to Lauren

#7 - Eep!

message 49: by ShoSho , Moderator (new) - rated it 5 stars

ShoSho  (shoshost) | 12263 comments How far are you LK?

message 50: by Lisa Kay, Moderator (new) - rated it 5 stars

Lisa Kay (lisakayalicemaria) | 20797 comments I'm near the end Chapter 18. The next set of DQs are ready to post. Should I post them?

« previous 1 3
This topic has been frozen by the moderator. No new comments can be posted.

Romance Lovers for the Challenge-Impaired

unread topics | mark unread

Books mentioned in this topic

Serendipity (other topics)

Authors mentioned in this topic

Lisa Clark O'Neill (other topics)