The Great Hugo Read discussion

1939 Nominees > 1939 Nominees

Comments Showing 1-3 of 3 (3 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by D.L. (new)

D.L. Thurston (dlthurston) | 41 comments Mod
I'm only a few chapters into Sword in the Stone, but unless it takes a serious turn for the worse I'm rather confident my ballot will be:

1) Sword in the Stone
2) Time Legion (I'm a sucker for old time travel stories)
3) Galactic Patrol
4) Out of the Silent Planet
5) Carson of Venus

I've only managed three of the novellas, which I would rank

1) Who Goes There?
2) Time Trap (see above)
3) Anthem

message 2: by Kat (new)

Kat (ciaracat) | 9 comments I'm still working on the novellas. Anthem was the only one on Audible, so the only one I listened to early - the first half was kinda fun because it sounds like the inspiration for Rush's 2112, but then it gets seriously crazy. It won't be high on my ballot, for sure. I've just started Time Trap, and have the others queued up.

My novel ballot is:
1. Out of the Silent Planet - Love, love, love this kind of sci-fi that explores other worlds and cultures, and Lewis is a master story-teller.*
2. Legion of Time - I love these old time travel stories too, and I loved the way this one read like a fairy tale working out their modern-day anxieties
3. Sword in the Stone - the anachronisms bugged me to no end; I know why they're there, but they still bugged me.
4. No Award
Carson of Venus and Galactic Patrol unlisted, because they couldn't hold my interest enough to finish them. And I really WANTED to like Galactic Patrol.

*I was excited to see that Out of the Silent Planet was the first in a trilogy. I just finished listening to Perelandra, since all the rest of my Hugo reading/watching is paper or tv based. I'm SO disappointed with Perelandra.

message 3: by D.L. (last edited Jul 27, 2014 07:34AM) (new)

D.L. Thurston (dlthurston) | 41 comments Mod
To each their own, the anachronisms are probably what I'm enjoying best about Sword in the Stone. I had the same problem with Anthem. I enjoyed the bizarre distopia, but then the main character decides to Go Galt over the last three chapters with typical Rand bluntness. I was rather hoping it might not get into her philosophical leanings, but I've since seen people describe it as a sort of first draft for Atlas Shrugged. I'd be tempted to put it beneath No Award, but the first 3/4 did entertain me, which is more than I can say for other 1939 and 2014 nominees.

Oh, and I've seen elsewhere that it was an inspiration for 2112. I've not listened to the song, but apparently some or all the members of Rush are Rand fans.