The Merchant of Death (Pendragon, #1) The Merchant of Death discussion

Opinions on Pendragon series as a whole?

Comments Showing 1-14 of 14 (14 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

kris I've read all 10 books in the series and really love it. It's definitely among my top 5 favorite series of all time. One thing I struggle with, however, is my love of the individual books. For me, none of the books are total 5 star books, but the series as a whole is definitely a 5 star series.

That's not to say that I don't like the books individually. I consider them to be 4-4.5 star books, but none of them had that little extra thing that made me say "THIS BOOK IS AMAZING!"

I feel kinda bad looking at my favorite series and giving my favorite books in that series (The Quillan Games and The Reality Bug) only 4.5 stars, but they lack this ambiguous "it" feeling that would bump it up to 5.

Do any of y'all feel the same way? That the books aren't as good as the series as a whole? Or am I totally crazy?

message 2: by Lev (new) - rated it 5 stars

Lev I met the author when I was 7 at my first ever book signing for the release of The Quillan Games and I bough the first three which he signed for me. A couple years I got around to reading them and I actually really enjoyed them. I then read the whole series and overall I think its such a great under rated series. I definetly enjoy the later books more as the series gets closer to the big epic moments at second earth I think? Sorry its been a while since I've read it.

Ben  George D.J. MacHale is an interesting author for me. I unequivocally put him among my favorite authors, but I don't keep up very well with his stuff. Something just keeps me from marathoning all of Pendragon or pulling Storm off the shelf. *shrug* I will finish his books though.

R.J. Guy is a fantastic author and friendly guy. He and Rowling were so brilliant they inspired me to write my own series. Pendragon is a highly under rated series.

message 5: by puchu (new)

puchu I think I read about 4 or 5 in the series and then stopped. I felt Bobby complained too much to a point that it serious annoyed me. You would think after having so many adventures he would accept his faith but alas that never happens at least up the book I read.

Brent Roberts well i am at the 9th book in the series. however some things in the books seem contradictory. definitely for young readers but still decent.

Kela Esther I did like the series, but at some point, I felt like the series peaked and I started loosing interest, but the character dynamics keep me hooked and when the series started getting good again, I was way into it.

Emmanuel Kristen wrote: "I've read all 10 books in the series and really love it. It's definitely among my top 5 favorite series of all time. One thing I struggle with, however, is my love of the individual books. For me, ..."

Anthony Wade Lev wrote: "I met the author when I was 7 at my first ever book signing for the release of The Quillan Games and I bough the first three which he signed for me. A couple years I got around to reading them and ..."

It's SO under rated! This is my favorite series. D.J MacHale is pretty amazing, though I have to say I didn't care too much for his Morpheous road book. I still need to read the last two.

To me, most of the Pendragon books individually are stars except for the Rivers of Zadaa and the reality bug. I didn't like that one too much.

message 10: by Adam (new) - rated it 5 stars

Adam Armstrong It is among my favorite series. I grew up with these books, waiting desperately for each one to come out, much like how I was with Harry Potter back in those days. I absolutely love the series, but the twists that come with the final two books, and its ultimate conclusion, left me feeling as though I had been lied to all these years. I just couldn't reconcile "What was really going on" with the story. The idea of the computers that could predict a course of events just by asking it a question stuck with me over the years and I sometimes find myself wishing i had one of those.

message 11: by K (new) - rated it 5 stars

K I read all ten and I liked most of them. The books at the end of the series should have been edited better.

message 12: by [deleted user] (new)

What i like about this series is that it had the most statisfYing ending of all the book series i have read, i think this series reads off like one long story and the middle of the story or series was the best part for me

message 13: by A (new) - rated it 3 stars

A Anderson This series was the hype for me as a kid. Now I find it alright. Has some really good things here and there, overall I still love it dearly.

Sarah I read these books when I was in middle school and I can still say that I totally found these books very unique from anything that I have ever read before. I really loved them as a series but as individuals too because of all the unique situations and worlds the protagonist ends up in.