Doctor Who: The Library of Carsus discussion

The TARDIS'S ARCHIVE > Are the current hardcovers any good?

Comments Showing 1-11 of 11 (11 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by [deleted user] (new)

I've never read one. The vibe I get from internet reviews is this: folks who've read a lot of NAs or EDAs don't generally like them, feel as if they're watered down 'filler' between episodes of the new series. From newer fans to DW, who maybe haven't read as many of the older novels, they seem to think the new hardcovers are mostly enjoyable.

I read a number of the Target novels when I was a kid, and some of them were complete trash... I can't believe the current crop of books are that bad.

message 2: by Wendy (new)

Wendy | 11 comments I think whether they're "any good" depends on what you're looking for. Because the series is back on TV now, the new books can't cover major turning points in the series as a whole in the way that the NAs and EDAs did. The new books are also shorter and an easier read, which is nice if you just want a few hours of entertainment, maybe a little disappointing if you want something you can really sink your teeth into. They're books with a slightly different audience and set of goals than the older novels. I think if you take them for what they are, they're not bad.

I've been dipping into the line occasionally, and I do think the books have been getting better over time. I have the first three Ninth Doctor ones, and I'm not sure that I'd have bothered if they weren't the only way of getting a new Ninth Doctor fix once series 1 was over. Recently, I've rather enjoyed Peacemaker by James Swallow (has the first really worthwhile set of original aliens in the new novels), Sick Building by Paul Magrs (if you like Magrs's style of Doctor Who), and The Pirate Loop by Simon Guerrier (only for those who don't mind their Doctor Who a bit silly). The Resurrection Casket is also good fun - basically a retelling of Treasure Island in space, so no points for originality, but good fun nonetheless.

message 3: by AJ (new)

AJ (lemontwist) I never bothered to pick any of the hardcovers up. At the crazy expensive prices that they are, I just can't afford it on a grad student's salary. And I highly doubt they can top the BBC past doc / 8th doc books.

message 4: by Noah (new)

Noah Soudrette (annubis) | 6 comments I just read Peacemaker as well and found it quite enjoyable. The hardbacks aren't bad. Like Wendy said, if your looking for a light, fun adventure, then they're quite good. They're the "beach reads" of Doctor Who novels.

message 5: by Jim (new)

Jim | 16 comments If I'm going to spend that much on a book, it has to have more to it. There are plenty of WH books that are both more substantial and in the cheaper paperback format. The hardcovers are better than the bulk of the old Target paperbacks. I'd say they're OK to get free from the library, but save your book money for something else.

message 6: by [deleted user] (new)

Have you read any of the NA series with Benny after the Doctor left? You could always pursue those.

I've never read any yet myself, but I understand the Big Finish short-story collections usually have good reputations... and they're still being released every now and then.

message 7: by Wendy (new)

Wendy | 11 comments Slightly cheaper than ordering the Big Finish books from England is to order them from Who North America: www.whona.com. Still not cheap, though.

Have you read the Telos Time Hunter novellas? They're a spin off featuring Honore Lechasseur and Emily Blandish from the Doctor Who novella Cabinet of Light. I picked up two of these off of eBay recently and really enjoyed them. They're particularly relevant to this discussion because they're about the same word count as one of the new series hardcovers, but they're much more sophisticated in terms of theme and plot.

Not sure how much they're really like Doctor Who, though. Echoes reminded me much more of Sapphire and Steel - not that that's a bad thing!

message 8: by Wendy (new)

Wendy | 11 comments I actually don't see Lechasseur as being all that similar to the Doctor, but you're right that the choice to spin him out into a separate series did smack a bit of desperation.

I actually wonder whether Telos wouldn't have been better off doing the Time Hunter books as a completely separate series without the Doctor Who connection. Time Hunter's connection to Doctor Who is so tenuous that I imagine it doesn't draw in any but the most completist or curious of Whovians, whereas non-Who fans who might otherwise be interested in the books would probably be put off by even a slight Who connection.

message 9: by The Master (new)

The Master (themaster) | 16 comments I agree with the earlier comments that the new hardcovers are "Doctor Who Lite." The ones I have read so far have been fast reads without much heavy thinking required.

What bugs me is that Donna only appears in four novels. Meanwhile, Rose got 12 novels and Martha got 13! The latest releases have the Doctor travelling on his own. Very poor treatment of Donna, who was my favourite of the companions in the new series.

message 10: by Mary JL (new)

Mary JL (maryjl) | 64 comments I have also read a few of the new Doctor Who hardcovers. They are not bad; they vary depending on the author, of course--some are better than others.

They are hard to get around here--I am looking for more!

message 11: by [deleted user] (new)

I've read a few since starting this thread over a year ago. Again, not terrible, but not terribly good either. They just have a lack of ambition that wasn't much of a problem during the NA/MA/EDA/PDA run.

However, I understand Lance Parkin's 'The Eyeless' upped the ante considerably as far as the NSA books are concerned, so I'll be checking that one out sometime in the near future. Also, one of my favorite Who authors, the elusive Daniel Blythe, is returning with a new book to be released later this year... so I think perhaps the NSAs might be in the midst of turning a new page at the moment.