Play Book Tag discussion

How to Stop Time
This topic is about How to Stop Time
Archive: Other Books > How to Stop Time by Matt Haig -- 4 stars

Comments Showing 1-8 of 8 (8 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Nicole R (drnicoler) | 7759 comments How to Stop Time by Matt Haig
4 stars

I was intrigued immediately by the premise of this book: Tom looks 40 but in reality has lived for over 400 years due to a rare, anti-aging condition. In exchange for help relocating every 8 years to avoid suspicion, he join the secret Albatross Society, which identifies Albers around the world and brings them into the fold. But, as the centuries pass, Tom cannot forget his past and craves making true connections with people.

And, the book did not disappoint.

I loved that the story alternated between Tom's present-day life in London, and flashbacks to key moments in his life from the time that he found out that he wasn't aging any more. He was present at seminal moments in history, mainly focusing on those in London like witch hunts, Shakespeare, Captain Cook, and Fitzgerald. The flashbacks were cute and tied in nicely with events in his current life.

The peripheral story was pretty weak though. Tom is currently a high school history teacher, and he had one student that I really thought was going to be a bigger part of the story, but he was kind of glossed over. And Tom eventually meets someone he wants to fall in love with, and her story also was oddly not central, which gave it a bit of a forced feeling.

The ending was not really a surprise, but kind of a surprise? It was a good ending that tied things up in a nice way without being too perfect.

Added bonus? It is going to be a movie staring Benedict Cumberbatch. I was definitely entertained enough to invest in a move ticket!

JoLene (trvl2mtns) | 1532 comments Yeah --- this is also on my radar! Based on your review, I"m pretty sure that I'm going to like it.

Nicole R (drnicoler) | 7759 comments JoLene wrote: "Yeah --- this is also on my radar! Based on your review, I"m pretty sure that I'm going to like it."

I can't say that it was life-altering, but I really enjoyed it! I listened to a good portion of it today as I cleaned, did laundry, and cooked, and my baseboards even got a scrub down so I could listen to the last of it! lol

message 4: by Joi (new) - rated it 4 stars

Joi (missjoious) | 3812 comments This is on my TBR. Everything about your review makes me want to read it sooner rather than later!

message 5: by Diane (new)

Diane Zwang | 485 comments This is also on my TBR list. Sounds good.

KateNZ | 2338 comments I bumped this to 5 stars because I found it such fun and it completely hit the spot for me at the time, but you’re totally right about the peripheral nature of a lot of the present day story. Looking forward to the movie, whenever it happens

Anna | 35 comments I have this out from my library at the moment. Very much looking forward to reading it all the more having read your review.

Nicole R (drnicoler) | 7759 comments I hope everyone likes it! It was a fun book.

unread topics | mark unread

Books mentioned in this topic

How to Stop Time (other topics)

Authors mentioned in this topic

Matt Haig (other topics)