Christian Speculative Fiction discussion

Nom de plume?

Comments Showing 1-4 of 4 (4 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Stan (new)

Stan | 288 comments Mod
Nom de plume?

I was wondering whether my fellow Christian Speculative Fiction authors use a nom de plume? Do you think there are advantages and disadvantages to using one? Do pen names cause difficulties where copyright is concerned? Have you, or someone you know, had good or bad experiences using a pen name?

Looking forward to everyone's responses!

message 2: by Steve (new)

Steve Pillinger | 517 comments Mod
I struggled long and hard with this issue. As a Christian missionary it didn't seem quite appropriate for me to be writing speculative fiction, and I was worried how our supporters would react. Would some of them stop their funding—"can't support someone who wastes his time on that sort of thing!"?

In the end I decided to have the courage of my convictions. I truly believe the Lord has led me to share the stories that developed out of a role-playing game with our children; so why should I pretend otherwise to the people who have stood with us for so many years in God's main calling on our lives?

I therefore published the first book under my own name last year, and even shared it with our supporters. Of course, it turned out that I needn't have worried, and quite a few have expressed their interest and bought the book. A few have even left reviews! (Can't really count those, of course—all 5 stars, like family and friends!)

I can imagine other situations, though, where using a pen name might be necessary. One example is a chiropractor friend of mine who wrote stories loosely based on experiences in his practice. He used a nom de plume to protect patients who might otherwise have been identified. And I guess the same would be the case for any author writing about his/her work in a profession where rules of confidentiality apply.

So to me it seems that a pen name would be needed mainly in that kind of situation.

message 3: by Stoney (new)

Stoney deGeyter | 134 comments I thought about it but ultimately decided not to, though I guess I can still change my mind since the book isn't published. I guess it's only important if you feel the need to stay anonymous.

message 4: by Lauren (new)

Lauren Salisbury | 224 comments Mod
I decided not to as well, mainly because I figured that if I eventually plucked up the courage to do signings and/or interviews it might be awkward having to remember my pseudonym.