Play Book Tag discussion

Love and Ruin
This topic is about Love and Ruin
April 2018: Strong Women > Love and Ruin by Paula McLain 4 stars

Comments Showing 1-18 of 18 (18 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Diane Zwang | 485 comments Love and Ruin by Paula McLain
4/5 stars

I won my first Goodreads Giveaway! This Advanced Reader's Edition of Paula McLain's latest novel is about Martha Gellhorn, Hemingway's third wife. I loved The Paris Wife so I was excited to read the book.

Historical fiction is my favorite genre to read and this particular time period I enjoy very much. I did not know anything about Martha Gellhorn until I read this book. She was a fiercely independent, strong and intelligent woman. She was an accomplished writer and journalist making a name for herself in a time period in which women did not work outside the home. I was in awe of her bravery at traveling around the world, many times alone, to cover wars and conflicts for American magazines.

Her seven year relationship with Hemingway was stormy which is no surprise. Given the title of the book, I knew what goes up must come down. As far as relationships go, I enjoyed Marty's relationship with Hemingway's three sons and her mother. I liked the Author's Note at the end of the book about Martha's life, work, relationships and death at the ripe old age of 89.

I am inspired to learn more about Martha Gellhorn maybe even read one of her novels. I enjoyed this journey of Love and Ruin and think it is a worthwhile story to tell.

Nicole R (drnicoler) | 7717 comments Congrats on the giveaway win! I can’t wait to read this one.

I also do not know much about Gellhorn, but have wanted to watch Hemingway and Gellhorn with Nicole Kidman. Maybe when I read the book it will inspire me to watch the movie too!

Diane Zwang | 485 comments Nicole R wrote: "Congrats on the giveaway win! I can’t wait to read this one.

I also do not know much about Gellhorn, but have wanted to watch Hemingway and Gellhorn with Nicole Kidman. Maybe when I read the book..."

I just learned about this movie last night when I told my girlfriend what I was reading. I am going to rent it and watch it.

Nicole R (drnicoler) | 7717 comments Diane wrote: "I just learned about this movie last night when I told my girlfriend what I was reading. I am going to rent it and watch it. ..."

Let me know how it is! I remember it getting good reviews from critics, especially Nicole Kidman's performance.

It is available for free if you have Amazon Prime, BTW. I just added it to my watch list.

message 5: by KateNZ (new) - added it

KateNZ | 2220 comments Congrats on the giveaway - that's very exciting!

message 6: by Amy (new) - rated it 5 stars

Amy | 8300 comments Had no idea it was the sequel to the Paris Wife. I loved that!

Nicole R (drnicoler) | 7717 comments Amy wrote: "Had no idea it was the sequel to the Paris Wife. I loved that!"

I wonder if she is just going to work her way through his 4 wives! lol.

Though, Gellhorn is a titan in her own right. I think I will like this one so much more than The Paris Wife because Gellhorn was so badass.

message 8: by Book Concierge (new)

Book Concierge (tessabookconcierge) | 5645 comments She's coming to my local bookstore for an event in May.

Nicole R (drnicoler) | 7717 comments Oooo, are you going, BC?!

message 10: by Anita (new)

Anita Pomerantz | 6304 comments This sounds great! I'm so jealous you won a giveaway. I've never won a giveaway, and I feel like I enter plenty!

I am not sure I can get through the long book I picked for the tag, so I'm intrigued about this one.

Kelly | 783 comments I am excited to read this!

message 12: by Jeremiah (new) - added it

Jeremiah Cunningham | 693 comments Great review and congrats on winning the giveaway. Always dangerous for me to read reviews on PBT. I get a few books off my TBR and then add a bunch more.

message 13: by Anita (new)

Anita Pomerantz | 6304 comments Story of my life, JW.

message 14: by Amy (new) - rated it 5 stars

Amy | 8300 comments Story of all of our lives!

message 15: by [deleted user] (new)

I loved Paris Wife. I can’t wait to read this! I love Ernest Hemingway.

Diane Zwang | 485 comments Nicole R wrote: "Diane wrote: "I just learned about this movie last night when I told my girlfriend what I was reading. I am going to rent it and watch it. ..."

Let me know how it is! I remember it getting good re..."

Nicole I watched the movie. I liked it. Nicole Kidman does give a great performance and so does Clive Owen as Hemingway. I thought the movie was a little too long, it is over two hours but other than that a good movie.

Nicole R (drnicoler) | 7717 comments Thanks for the report back, Diane! I have it in my queue and definitely plan to get to it at some point.

message 18: by Book Concierge (new)

Book Concierge (tessabookconcierge) | 5645 comments Nicole R wrote: "Oooo, are you going, BC?!"

She'll be here the day after I get back from my long drive to/from Texas. So not sure I'll be up for it. Might want to spend the evening at home with my hubby. ... and before you ask, No, he's absolutely not interested in going to this event with me.