Beyond Reality discussion

Persepolis Rising (The Expanse, #7)
This topic is about Persepolis Rising
SERIES—List & Discussions > The Expanse--Persepolis Rising: finished reading (spoilers)

Comments Showing 1-13 of 13 (13 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Shel, Moderator (new) - rated it 5 stars

Shel (shel99) | 2240 comments Mod
This topic is for those who have finished Persepolis Rising. Spoilers!

message 2: by Kathi, Moderator & Book Lover (new) - rated it 5 stars

Kathi | 3219 comments Mod
What a ride! Here are a few random thoughts:

Thirty years in the future—that threw me!

I thought the stolen protomolecule might lead to problems, and obviously, it has.

Holden and Naomi walking away from the Roci felt wrong, wrong, wrong. (And obviously, didn’t work anyway)

Singh was truly a piece of work—just ugh! I felt like I needed to wash my hands or rinse out my mouth (brain) after reading the chapters that were his POV.

And Duarte—immortal, all-knowing and wise “benevolent” leader.i realize he’s been hiding away, building the foundation of the Laconia Smpire for 30 years, but he sort of came out of the blue for me.

This is the first book where I really liked Bobbie.

message 3: by Kathi, Moderator & Book Lover (new) - rated it 5 stars

I read a comment elsewhere on Goodreads that The Expanse in really a trilogy of trilogies, which made a lot of sense to me in terms of the story arcs. Too bad we now have to wait for the middle and end of this final trilogy!

message 4: by Kathi, Moderator & Book Lover (new) - rated it 5 stars

So Persepolis was the Persian ceremonial capital city, constructed under Darius I and his son Xerxes and then captured and seriously damaged by Alexander the Great. It was not a true capital of the Persian Empire, located in a remote, mountainous region.

I assume the connection here is to Laconia, the capital of a rising new empire.

Silvana (silvaubrey) Duarte was one of the major characters in the latest novella Strange Dogs. Great insights there. I don't think it was a coincindence that the novella is set before PR and therefore I suggest to read it first.

message 6: by Kathi, Moderator & Book Lover (new) - rated it 5 stars

Silvana wrote: "Duarte was one of the major characters in the latest novella Strange Dogs. Great insights there. I don't think it was a coincindence that the novella is set before PR and therefore I suggest to rea..."

Good to know. I am planning to read all the novellas while I await the next full-length book, so that should fill in some holes for me.

message 7: by Shel, Moderator (new) - rated it 5 stars

I just finished it this afternoon and wow, it really went in a direction I was NOT expecting! I knew the missing Martian ships would come back in some way, but never imagined this. I guess that's sort of the point. I also was thrown by the leap forward in time. Definitely going to go back and read the novellas now, since I'm sad it'll be such a wait until the next book!

Agree with Kathi about Singh being such a sh*t of a human being. I was quite satisfied by the way he ended, he deserved it. I'm fascinated by what's happening to Duarte with his experimental treatment, I can't imagine anything good coming of it. And for some reason I keep half expecting Miller to pop up again.

message 8: by Jim (new) - rated it 5 stars

Jim Mcclanahan (clovis-man) | 480 comments Just finished the book literally minutes ago. A much better flow to the story than in most of the preceding volumes. (5 stars) Finally getting back to the effects and side-effects of the protomolecule. And I don't see a happy ending there. Duarte will end up like the mad scientist of the last century's Universal Studio movies. In the meantime, Singh met the fate deserved by any member of the Hitler Youth while displaying all its pathological trappings along the way.

It was pretty clear that Clarissa would go out in a hormonal blaze as soon as it was revealed that she would be aligned with the turncoat fifth columnist: My only quibble with the direction of the plot.

And I'm pretty sure that Naomi et al will parse out the nature of the protomolecule influence in creating the Laconians' self-healing space ships and weaponry. Just as sure as I am that there will be a reunion of the Roci crew somewhere in the remaining sequels and a final reckoning with the ancient alien entities.

Am I being too optimistic?

Silvana (silvaubrey) nah, that's pretty much what I have in mind. But I also think another Roci crew will die along the way.

message 10: by Jim (new) - rated it 5 stars

Jim Mcclanahan (clovis-man) | 480 comments Silvana wrote: "nah, that's pretty much what I have in mind. But I also think another Roci crew will die along the way."

You could well be right. Amos keeps showing that he has a death wish.

message 11: by Shel, Moderator (new) - rated it 5 stars

Jim wrote: "You could well be right. Amos keeps showing that he has a death wish."

Yes, especially now that he no longer has Clarissa to live for. I thought the incident with him and Bobbie was quite interesting and also revealing.

Random (rand0m1s) | 828 comments I finally managed to finish. Sometimes I wish I could quit work and just read all the time. :)

It took me a little to adjust to that 30 year gap. Wasn't expecting it and I had a lot of trouble thinking of the characters as 30 years older.

Agreed, this is a trilogy of trilogies. Didn't have a chance to look up Persepholis yet. Thanks for the info Kathi.

What Duarte has done to himself and I suspect passed down to his daughter. I really wonder what the long term affects will be.

I started Strange Dogs, but haven't had a chance to finish it yet. What I have read is almost creepy as hell. It does fit very very well before this book. BTW - The POV character in The Vital Abyss also makes an appearance in Persepholis Rising on Laconia at the start.

I could have sworn there was another short story on the schedule before the next book, but its not showing up on the series list here anymore.

Duarte's offer to Holden at the end. I'm very curious where this is all going to lead. I really want to see that ancient enemy or what's left of them.

Oh and the sphere that showed up on the ship! I'm hoping that will show up more in the next book.

A little sad about Clarissa. She was an odd character, both offputting and interesting in a way.

I actually almost felt sorry for Singh. From his personality and prior behavior, it was a guarantee that he would react very similarly to how he did. They basically put him in a position to fail. He was absolutely not the right person for the job. I actually suspect they did it on purpose. The odds of anyone being able to take over the station peacefully was pretty low. So send someone in who would screw things up, give the security officer instructions on what to do when he goes too far enough, use him as a scapegoat for why it went badly, and execute him as an example of how seriously Laconia takes the whole everyone is a citizen, etc. Oh and then replace him with someone much more experienced, capable, and will seem mild by contrast.

Favorite line (other than Avasarila) "I think what I'm told to think". Makes me shudder just thinking about it.

message 13: by Kathi, Moderator & Book Lover (new) - rated it 5 stars

Random wrote: "I could have sworn there was another short story on the schedule before the next book, but its not showing up on the series list here anymore."
I looked at a couple sources to see if another novella or short story had been published, but I am not seeing anything else.