Play Book Tag discussion

The Tipping Point: How Little Things Can Make a Big Difference
This topic is about The Tipping Point
Archive: Other Books > The Tipping Point by Malcolm Gladwell (4 out of 5 Stars)

Comments Showing 1-2 of 2 (2 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Jeremiah Cunningham | 689 comments The Tipping Point by Malcolm Gladwell
4 out of 5 Stars

In the afterword, Gladwell writes, "I wrote my book without any clear expectation of who would read it, or what, if anything, it would be useful for." This quote truly summarizes the basis for my review of this book.

The Positives of The Tipping Point
The first and greatest of the positives of The Tipping Point is the mental intrigue the book causes. I enjoy reading Gladwell's books because they shift the reader's perspective and provide a new outlook on common issues. I particularly enjoyed this book because he takes on social issues of crime, education, and poverty from a new perspective.

On top of that though, I enjoyed this book because it has no bounds. As Gladwell said he had no particular purpose or audience in mind in writing the book. Therefore, while he provides case studies and examples in the book, the ideas can be applied to a wide spectrum of applications.

The Negatives of The Tipping Point
While having no particular audience and no particular purpose behind writing the book makes it applicable across many dimensions, it likewise makes the book feel dated. Because Gladwell uses specific examples to illustrate his point, I was often wondering if the "laws" he was explaining were still applicable in today's world. I feel like the older the book gets, the more questions are opened up about its truth.

Overall, this is another intriguing work by Gladwell. If you enjoy the social sciences, good writing, and thinking about marketing this is a good book to take on.

Karin | 6919 comments I also gave this 4 stars, but not for the same reasons--I just double checked my review. It was the beginning part that I didn't find particularly interesting, etc.

While many of the examples are a bit dated, I think that the overall points tend to be rather accurate as you can see some of this over time. The chapter on capping sizes to about 150 made a great deal of sense and really still applies, for one example.