The Mystery, Crime, and Thriller Group discussion

Night Passage (Jesse Stone, #1)
This topic is about Night Passage
Group Read Discussions > April Group Read Topic (Spoilers) - Night Passage by Robert B. Parker

Comments Showing 1-14 of 14 (14 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Bill (new) - added it

Bill | 5460 comments Hello all - this is something new we're trying. This is for discussing Night Passage by Robert B. Parker but this thread will be FULL OF SPOILERS. If you haven't read the book yet and don't want to ruin the ending, hop on over to the spoiler-filled discussion HERE .

https://www.goodreads.com/topic/show/...

Skye | 2105 comments Thanks, Bill!

Alan Taylor | 2 comments Just finished - a very quick read. Unlike many, I have never seen the Tom Selleck film series, nor had I read much of Robert B Parker until a couple of years back having, for some reason, formed the opinion that he was little but a Chandler tribute act (like that is a bad thing...). I read The Godwulf Manuscript and, realising my mistake, very quickly read the next four Spenser novels. But I didn't know anything about Jesse Stone.

Night Passage is a good read and a great introduction to what I am sure will be an interesting series. Jesse Stone, having drunk himself out of his LAPD Homicide Unit, takes up an offer from a small Massachusetts town to become Chief of Police. Naturally, the shady town selectman making the offer has done so precisely because Jesse is a lush, and there is a lot more going on in the little town of Paradise than might initially appear.

Stone is an engaging character, well-written, if not that different from the many damaged cops who inhabit similar stories. But, if you like this sort of thing, and I do, then the archetype really works. Stone is new to the town and we meet the cast of townspeople as he does and I am sure I will enjoy getting to know them, and him, better. Everyone needs a go-to, unchallenging but entertaining series to fall back on and I think I have found a new one.

Chris | 241 comments Just finished. Certainly enjoyed the writing style and I felt the author created enough atmosphere that kept me wanting to read & wonder about what else was going on in this quaint small New England town. The undergirding storyline seemed very current with the state of affairs in the U.S & some European countries in eschewing "others" and wanting a way to keep the White status quo. I was surprised that only one police officer was involved in the militia. With all the screwing around, I bet the local health clinic kept busy, yet silent. HA!

Skye | 2105 comments I am so glad you finished, Chris! I am also thrilled you enjoyed it, too.
The style of writing is certainly pleasant and somewhat taut/tight.
The atmosphere of Paradise is certainly quaint and charming, but what a front for underhanded activities; of course, we all know this happens everywhere, and Jesse Stone is quite skilled at reading between the lines; he is also unafraid, filled with pride and has his own quirks.

message 6: by Kimiko (new) - added it

Kimiko | 62 comments I love the Jesse Stone series, having read all the books and then watched all the Tom Selleck "Stone" movies as well. Selleck fits the Stone character so well and portrays him so well. I always read the books first, then see the movies. I think the reader/seer will get alot out of doing both.

Skye | 2105 comments Hi there, Kimiko; so glad to have you here. Like you, I adore both the movies and the books; I did the opposite, however, I saw the movies and then read the books.
I also think that everyone should read the books and watch the movies.

RJ - Slayer of Trolls (hawk5391yahoocom) | 474 comments I finished it and enjoyed it, although I didn't love it.

The good stuff: I like Parker's no-nonsense prose. He kept the story moving well and created some fun moments along the way (my favorite was the first encounter between Jesse and JoJo).

Not so good stuff: The characters were a bit 2 dimensional and cliche. And I really am tired of reading about a main character who drinks because he's hung up on his ex, which is a mis-portrayal of the very serious disease of alcoholism. Also, as a man I can say that men don't typically behave in that fashion, and generally aren't looking to reconcile or even stay in touch after their wife has an affair.

Still, it was a pleasant quick read and mostly harmless. I gave it 3 stars and will probably continue with the series eventually.

Skye | 2105 comments Randy; thanks so much for your candor! I agree about Parker's manner of being terse, and yes, there are many interesting characters. It was a fast read, and many of the characters were not fully developed, either. LOL, Randy: Jo Jo is the stereotypical 'thug.'
I also fully agree that main characters appear to be heavy drinkers ( Harry Bosch for one); however, what you say about Jesse Stone being atypical is the trait that makes him very unusual and interesting; you're right; most men are not so enamored or so honest about a woman they loved who cheated on him. His ability to still express emotions to Jennifer and show a very deep remorse is exactly what makes Jesse so appealing.

message 10: by Fred (new) - rated it 5 stars

Fred (fredderoche) | 24 comments The book plot & movie screenplay are well coordinated, I like the movie better than the book only because it is performed by one of my favorite actors - Tom Selleck.

message 11: by Skye (new) - rated it 4 stars

Skye | 2105 comments He is one of my favorites, too. I also loved to compare the transformation from Magnum P.I to Jesse Stone.

message 12: by Izzy (new) - rated it 4 stars

Izzy Holmes | 28 comments I finished it and would not have chosen it if it hadn’t been recommended on this group thanks

David Freas (quillracer) | 2311 comments Skye wrote: "He is one of my favorites, too. I also loved to compare the transformation from Magnum P.I to Jesse Stone."

And now he's Frank Regan on 'Blue Bloods.'

message 14: by Skye (new) - rated it 4 stars

Skye | 2105 comments A show I really like, too!

The Mystery, Crime, and Thriller Group

unread topics | mark unread

Books mentioned in this topic

Night Passage (other topics)

Authors mentioned in this topic

Robert B. Parker (other topics)