Vaginal Fantasy Book Club discussion

Pestilence (The Four Horsemen, #1)
This topic is about Pestilence
APR 2018: Pestilence > MAIN: Pestilence Discussion *Spoilers*

Comments Showing 1-11 of 11 (11 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Sean Lookielook Sandulak (seansandulak) | 918 comments Mod
Our first post-hangout pick is Pestilence by Laura Thalassa. Use this thread to discuss the novel. As always, expect spoilers for the full book. Pestilence is the first book in The Four Horsemen series and was published March 20, 2018.
They came to earth—Pestilence, War, Famine, Death—four horsemen riding their screaming steeds, racing to the corners of the world. Four horsemen with the power to destroy all of humanity. They came to earth, and they came to end us all.

When Pestilence comes for Sara Burn’s town, one thing is certain: everyone she knows and loves is marked for death. Unless, of course, the angelic-looking horseman is stopped, which is exactly what Sara has in mind when she shoots the unholy beast off his steed.

Too bad no one told her Pestilence can’t be killed.

Now the horseman, very much alive and very pissed off, has taken her prisoner, and he’s eager to make her suffer. Only, the longer she’s with him, the more uncertain she is about his true feelings towards her … and hers towards him.

And now, well, Sara might still be able to save the world, but in order to do so, she'll have to sacrifice her heart in the process.

message 2: by Amanda (new) - added it

Amanda (amandasteele) OH MY GOSH! I loved this book. The fact that I was riveted on the edge of my seat for the entire thing when it's basically only 2 characters the whole time... #dang amiright?! I didn't expect to fall in love with both of the MC's. I love how there is conflict 99% of the time and the massively grey area of morality is being constantly questioned. So much character development here. I don't understand where Thalassa is going to take book 2, like, How? Where? But I know she's going to deliver. And I'm just going to sit here (im)patiently waiting. Well, let's be honest, I'm going to go ahead and plow through the rest of her literary works while I wait. Cause... duh.

message 3: by Viola (last edited Apr 04, 2018 08:30AM) (new)

Viola I was planning on reading this but then I read the first 3 pages and decided that it wasn't for me.

Nice cover though.

Jenn (wildflowerz) The MC is a firefighter. And her name is Laura Burns. No, really.

Also, I have a hard time getting over the author's pen name. Especially as it relates to the subject matter here not at all. I guess she's just a big DragonLance fan.

Other than that, I found the romance here to be SO cringe-y. I couldn't get behind it at all. I did love the old couple, but that's about it for redeeming qualities for me. I didn't care for this one.

message 5: by Serendi (new)

Serendi If you mean Thalassa, it's the name of the ancient Greek goddess of the sea.

Jenn (wildflowerz) The DL character is Lauralanthalassa. She took out the LAN in the middle.

message 7: by Serendi (new)

Serendi Ah!

Kellios I'm with Jenn on this one, I liked the old couple. Oh, and the horse. I liked the horse and felt so bad when it suffered. Poor Trixie.

The premise of the book was interesting, but I could't really enjoy the execution. The characters were very flat, and I couldn't connect with them at all. The "romance" was very cringe-y. All the flip flopping really irritated me. I nearly put the book down a half dozen times, but I just had to see how the story was going to end. Surely it would get better right...nope. It didn't.

I'm left with a feeling of disappointment and no interest in the rest of the series.

message 9: by PointyEars42 (last edited Apr 11, 2018 12:44PM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

PointyEars42 | 476 comments I had not expected to enjoy it this as much as I did! Look, to be fair, I did read R. Lee Smith’s Land of the Beautiful Dead a few years ago (makes The Last Hour of Gann seem positively fluffy in comparison) so my bar for how cruel and murderous and broken a guy can to be and still have a successful romantic redemption arc is set pretty ridiculously high. What Sara has to get past seems like nothing in comparison – plus the guy’s just doing his job, right? I do wish both characters had been written with more personality earlier on in the book as it takes too long for her to see anything other than his pretty face so the relationship does predominantly come across as her just having a danger-boner while he has aaaallllll the feels.

The repeated god talk did make me a bit uncomfortable and took me out of the post-apocalyptic-urban-fantasy realm that was being constructed, but it wasn’t so prevalent or off-putting that I didn’t get to the end and then sign up to the author’s mailing list to be notified when book 2 comes out. I get that having biblical source material shapes characters and plot points, but I cringed a few times. Given the choice between theological pillow talk and explaining to my newly human partner what foreplay is, I know what I'd rather want to talk about. Hello, virgin hero alert!

Also: poor horsie. People are such dicks! So… trigger warning for brief (non-fatal) violence against a (magical) horse, I guess. That horse was my favourite character and needed a bigger role. I really hope that when Death's book comes out, there's a Discworld-loving character who wants to name Death's horse Binky.

Laura (theloudlady) | 180 comments I am usually not into Bible Lore but this book surprised me. I enjoy the idea of the four horsemen finding love and learning about humanity through love. The world building is confusing but it is the apocalypse.

It really is all about the romance & I am a lover of romance. I loved Sara and Victor & I loved Rob and Ruth.

I did not like the classic poet quotes. It did not add anything to the character. Why, do romance writers do this? Are they trying to prove something?

message 11: by Sean Lookielook (new)

Sean Lookielook Sandulak (seansandulak) | 918 comments Mod
Just a reminder that we're going to try a hangout chat on the Discord in #general-chat on May 1st at 6pm Pacific to discuss the April pick "Pestilence". Feel free to jump in early or late if you're not in a convenient time zone.