Books and Jams Readalong discussion

A Tree Grows in Brooklyn
This topic is about A Tree Grows in Brooklyn

Comments Showing 1-8 of 8 (8 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Krista (booksandjams) | 746 comments Mod
Are you finding yourself drawn into Francie's story? Any predictions about what is going to happen?

message 2: by Jenn (last edited Apr 04, 2018 07:11AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Jenn (sterlingmccord) Krista wrote: "Are you finding yourself drawn into Francie's story? Any predictions about what is going to happen?"

I am definitely drawn into Francie's story! I believe it's her grandmother who says that in struggle we find strength. Francie, her family, and her entire community struggle. She is finding strength and she seems to have a voice...maybe a writer.

message 3: by Berna (last edited Apr 04, 2018 10:36PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Berna | 64 comments I liked this section of the book more than the first section. I am impressed by the strength of women in Katie's family. They try to make the best in very hard situations and very limited resources.
I have a special fondness for Aunt Sissy, her not being able to have children is really hard. I think Francine will be influenced by them.
As for predictions, I think Francine and Neeley will grow up to very different. Neeley will be weak like his father (I sincerely wish to be wrong).
I agree with Jenn. I think Francine will probably become a writer.

message 4: by Jessica (last edited Apr 19, 2018 05:58PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Jessica Beaver | 18 comments The more I read, the more I am falling in love with this story. Some of the situations that this family faced are, thankfully, hard to imagine in today's society. I can remember my grandmother, who was born in 1913, talk about some of the hardships her family faced and how they had to economize similar to the way Katie does.

Francie's pickle reminds me of a story my grandmother used to tell. My great-grandparents mostly served food that they grew and then preserved for the future. Every day, one of the children...there were 8 of them...had to go down to the cellar to bring up anything their mother wanted to use. In the back of the cellar was what she called a "cold room." It was where her mother kept crocks of pickles, kraut, etc. My grandmother said that she always hated when it was her turn to go to the cold room, especially in winter. She said it was the coldest place she ever knew, and it chilled her to the bone.

I love when books bring these kinds of stories to mind.

I'm terrible at making predictions, so I'll just keep reading on! :)

I'm glad to say I'm enjoying the story quite a bit more now. I loved this section of really getting to know Francie's family. These women in particular are all so different. I loved reading about how Francie was such a weak baby and no one thought she would make it. Looks like she has some of that steel that the others have after all.

I don't have any predictions because there isn't much of a storyline. It's reading a lot more like snapshots of Francie's life. And through these moments and chapters we are getting to know Francie and her family. I do miss a bit of a plot and wonder if one will come in Part 3.

message 6: by Debbi (last edited Apr 23, 2018 09:45PM) (new)

Debbi Faust | 164 comments Krista wrote: "I'm glad to say I'm enjoying the story quite a bit more now. I loved this section of really getting to know Francie's family. These women in particular are all so different. I loved reading about h..."

I just finished the book and I am so glad that I read it. You said you were hoping for a plot. I don't know if there could have been one. I read in the forward of the book that this book is an autobiography. It was originally written as a memoir but it was reconfigured as a fiction at the request of the publisher. I thought this was an interesting detail.

Terri  (tee_reads) | 57 comments This is definitely more of a character driven than plot driven book.

My copy of the book didn't have a forward but a note about the author stated that her life was similar to the story.

I totally forgot about the forward and that it was pretty autobiographical. That makes it a bit more interesting.