Books and Jams Readalong discussion

A Tree Grows in Brooklyn
This topic is about A Tree Grows in Brooklyn

Comments Showing 1-13 of 13 (13 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Krista (booksandjams) | 746 comments Mod
What are your first impressions of the book? Of the writing style? Of Francie?

message 2: by Berna (last edited Apr 02, 2018 11:03PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Berna | 64 comments I finished Book One, and I liked the book so far.
It was a good introduction section to the characters and especially to the neighborhood that Francie lives in.
The writing style is good although not exceptional. It flows really easily.
I really liked Francie, mainly because she is an avid reader hehe. All kidding aside, she seems to be kind, intelligent and strong minded girl.

Jenn (sterlingmccord) The first time I read this book was about twenty years ago. So, this is a reread for me. However, I remember very little about the book. My first impressions (the second time around) are that I am enjoying the writing style. I agree with Berna; I don't feel that the writing is exceptional, but has a comfortable rhythm...if that makes sense. I am enjoying Francie. She is smart, strong, and I love that she's a reader.

Kathy | 9 comments Francis is a likable character-follows her brother around, helpful to her mother, loves sweets and enjoys the library. Interesting about the mother’s idea of the kids drinking coffee.

Ok, is this book going really slowly for any of you? I am not drawn in at all, which makes it tough to even want to pick it up to read! I am hoping that soon I get a bit more interested, but for now I am pretty bored with it and unmotivated. So sad!!

message 6: by Debbi (new)

Debbi Faust | 164 comments Krista wrote: "Ok, is this book going really slowly for any of you? I am not drawn in at all, which makes it tough to even want to pick it up to read! I am hoping that soon I get a bit more interested, but for no..."

UH OH! Now I am afraid to pick it up. Yikes!

Jenn (sterlingmccord) Krista wrote: "Ok, is this book going really slowly for any of you? I am not drawn in at all, which makes it tough to even want to pick it up to read! I am hoping that soon I get a bit more interested, but for no..."

I haven't found it to be slow, but you may want to try the audio book. When I find myself struggling with a book I know I want to read, I'll try switching the the audio version. Sometimes it helps get into a book I'm struggling to delve into.

Debbi wrote: "Krista wrote: "Ok, is this book going really slowly for any of you? I am not drawn in at all, which makes it tough to even want to pick it up to read! I am hoping that soon I get a bit more interes..."

Don't be scared, SO SO many people love this book! I'm going to keep going. I'm sure it will pick up for me.

Jenn wrote: "Krista wrote: "Ok, is this book going really slowly for any of you? I am not drawn in at all, which makes it tough to even want to pick it up to read! I am hoping that soon I get a bit more interes..."

Good advice. I do like audiobooks. I'm going to check if it's on Hoopla or Overdrive. Thanks!

message 10: by Terri (last edited Apr 09, 2018 06:38PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Terri  (tee_reads) | 57 comments I'm struggling a bit, and like Krista, it's making me not want to read. I'm not giving up yet though! I've made it a quarter of the the way so hopefully will start to feel more invested soon. I'm not sure if it makes it better or worse that my current audio book is equally unappealing to me. I'm half way through The Shadow of the Wind and I. just. don't. care.
Oh, and I do love Francie! Makes me think of the quote "And though she be but little, she is fierce."

Jessica Beaver | 18 comments It's going a little slow for me, but not because I'm not enjoying it. (Please excuse the double negative :) ) I have quite a few things on my plate right now, so I am not able to just sit down and dive in to the book the way I would like. I've enjoyed the time that I have been able to spend with the book. I tend to really like these kinds of character-driven stories.

I like Francie. She seems so genuine. I'm not sure about the rest of her family, though. It's too soon to tell about them yet.

It's supposed to rain most of the weekend here, and I am hoping to get at least halfway through the novel in the next couple of days. I am enjoying it so far.

message 12: by Debbi (new)

Debbi Faust | 164 comments I almost didn't read this book because some people said it was a little slow for them. But I did pick it up and I am really loving it. I guess the old saying goes....."different strokes for different folks".

Terri  (tee_reads) | 57 comments Debbi wrote: "I almost didn't read this book because some people said it was a little slow for them. But I did pick it up and I am really loving it. I guess the old saying goes....."different strokes for differe..."
I'm liking the second half much better. I hope to finish tonight. I will, however, go with something much lighter for my next read.