Books and Jams Readalong discussion

A Tree Grows - Apr 2018 > Who's Here?

Comments Showing 1-16 of 16 (16 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Krista (new)

Krista (booksandjams) | 746 comments Mod
Who will be reading along with us this month?? Give a shoutout down below! Let us know if you've ever been to New York City and if so, your favorite things to do there! :)

I've been loads of times. I grew up in New York State and took many trips to the city in my 20s especially. I love going to shows on Broadway, eating pizza, walking along the Esplanade and riding the Staten Island Ferry to wave hello to the Statue of Liberty. The 9/11 memorial is really cool too and my latest find is the skyline park and Chelsea Market. I have never been to The Strand or any other independent bookstores, so on my next trip those will be top of my priority list!

I look forward to reading this book with everyone this month!

message 2: by Berna (new)

Berna | 64 comments Hello, I am Berna from Turkey. I have already started reading the book but I am just a few pages in 🙂

I have been to the United States but never been in New York.

message 3: by Debbi (new)

Debbi Faust | 164 comments I have had this one on my TBR list for a long time. So I am definitely reading along.

No, I have never been to New York City but I bet it is an amazing place to see.

message 4: by Jenn (new)

Jenn (sterlingmccord) Hello, everyone. My name is Jenn, I live in Colorado. I'm joining the read-along this month. This will be reread for me; I read A Tree Grows in Brooklyn about twenty years ago as required reading at university. I've never been to New York, but hope to visit one day.

message 5: by Kathy (new)

Kathy | 9 comments Hi, I’m Kathy, I also read A Tree Grows in Brooklyn many years ago. Don’t remember much so looking forward to rereading. I haven’t been to New York but would love to go sometime.

message 6: by Terri (new)

Terri  (tee_reads) | 57 comments Hi, I'm Terri. I'm reading A Tree Grows in Brooklyn for the first time. Only a few pages in but so far, so good!
I've never been to NY.

message 7: by Wendy (last edited Apr 04, 2018 05:29AM) (new)

Wendy (wmaresca) I have had on my bookshelf for so long and I am looking forward to reading it with everyone.

I was actually in New York City just a week or so ago. Made a bookstore trip with one of my girl friends. Had such a great time and lucked out and had a sunny warm day.

message 8: by Jessica (new)

Jessica Beaver | 18 comments I'm excited to read this book, as it's been on my TBR for a while.

I went to NYC on a high school drama club trip...way back in 1987. I loved everything about the city! It was definitely a culture shock for this small-town Tennessee girl.

Funny story...my husband (who is more than a decade older than I am) is from upstate NY and went to college at Hofstra University on Long Island. After college, he went to work in the City.

Years (and years) later, probably 2009 or 2010, he was looking through an old photo album of mine and came across the pictures from my trip to New York. He found a picture of me standing in front of one particular building. He asked me when that picture was taken. As it turns out, he was actually working in that very building when that picture was taken. Small world, yes?

Anyway, I'm looking forward to reading the book with y'all... :)

message 9: by Krista (new)

Berna wrote: "Hello, I am Berna from Turkey. I have already started reading the book but I am just a few pages in 🙂

I have been to the United States but never been in New York."

Hi Berna! I'm glad you'll be reading along with us this month! I have a brother who lives in Turkey! How fun. I would love to go visit there someday. The pictures he shows us are so incredible!

message 10: by Krista (new)

Debbi wrote: "I have had this one on my TBR list for a long time. So I am definitely reading along.

No, I have never been to New York City but I bet it is an amazing place to see."

Hi Debbi! Glad you'll be reading along again this month!

message 11: by Krista (new)

Jenn wrote: "Hello, everyone. My name is Jenn, I live in Colorado. I'm joining the read-along this month. This will be reread for me; I read A Tree Grows in Brooklyn about twenty years ago as required reading a..."

Somehow I have never read this book! I have heard so many who read it ages and ages ago. I look forward to hearing what you think of it this time around.

message 12: by Krista (new)

Kathy wrote: "Hi, I’m Kathy, I also read A Tree Grows in Brooklyn many years ago. Don’t remember much so looking forward to rereading. I haven’t been to New York but would love to go sometime."

Hi Kathy! Glad you'll be reading, or rereading, along with us this month! I look forward to hearing your thoughts!

message 13: by Krista (new)

Terri (Twill) wrote: "Hi, I'm Terri. I'm reading A Tree Grows in Brooklyn for the first time. Only a few pages in but so far, so good!
I've never been to NY."

I am reading it for the first time too, Terri! I am finding it a bit of a slow starter, but am hoping that I get into it and the pace picks up for me.

message 14: by Krista (new)

Wendy wrote: "I have had on my bookshelf for so long and I am looking forward to reading it with everyone.

I was actually in New York City just a week or so ago. Made a bookstore trip with one of my girl friend..."

I would love to go back to NYC to go to some bookstores! Glad you're reading along with us, Wendy!

message 15: by Krista (new)

Jessica wrote: "I'm excited to read this book, as it's been on my TBR for a while.

I went to NYC on a high school drama club trip...way back in 1987. I loved everything about the city! It was definitely a culture..."

Ha! What a cool story, Jessica! Glad you'll be reading along with us this month!

message 16: by Terri (new)

Terri  (tee_reads) | 57 comments Krista wrote: "Terri (Twill) wrote: "Hi, I'm Terri. I'm reading A Tree Grows in Brooklyn for the first time. Only a few pages in but so far, so good!
I've never been to NY."

I am reading it for the first time to..."

Yes, a little slow, and I've not had a lot of time to read this week. Hopefully will have time to really get into it this weekend!