Our Classical Journey discussion

Monthly Favorite Classic Read > Favorite Classical Read - March

Comments Showing 1-50 of 59 (59 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by Loretta, Moderator (new)

Loretta | 5983 comments Mod
This will be a monthly thread for members to share what classical book(s) they've read for that month and was their favorite! Tell us a little bit about why it was your favorite without giving away any spoilers! If you need to spoil, please make sure you use the "spoiler alert" link! It would also be helpful if members would use the "add book/author" link for the book(s) so that other members can look up the book it they're interested in reading it and want more information.

message 2: by Piyangie (new)

Piyangie | 624 comments I have two for March: Anna Karenina and Persuasion.

message 3: by Tahera (new)

Tahera | 57 comments Sadly, I could not get time to read a classic in March but I have started a book of short stories by Saki which is proving to be enjoyable :)

Kelly_Hunsaker_reads ... I only read one classic in March and didnt like it. Green Henry by Gottfried Keller. But I am already in the my third classic for April. :)

message 5: by Loretta, Moderator (new)

Piyangie wrote: "I have two for March: Anna Karenina and Persuasion."

I loved Anna Karenina Piyangie. Did you ever see the movie? It was really good too! 😊

message 6: by Loretta, Moderator (new)

Tahera wrote: "Sadly, I could not get time to read a classic in March but I have started a book of short stories by Saki which is proving to be enjoyable :)"

Well then Tahera maybe when I post next month's thread for April this book of short stories by Saki will be your favorite! 😊

message 7: by Loretta, Moderator (new)

Kelly wrote: "I only read one classic in March and didnt like it. Green Henry by Gottfried Keller. But I am already in the my third classic for April. :)"

See what happens Kelly when we deviate from reading classics!? Hopefully one of the classics you're reading now will make it to the April thread! 😊

message 8: by Loretta, Moderator (new)

My two favorite, five star reads were children's books again this month! The Velveteen Rabbit by Margery Williams Bianco and Sorotchintzy Fair by Nikolai Gogol. ☺️

message 9: by Piyangie (new)

Piyangie | 624 comments Loretta wrote: "Piyangie wrote: "I have two for March: Anna Karenina and Persuasion."

I loved Anna Karenina Piyangie. Did you ever see the movie? It was really good too! 😊"

No, Loretta, I haven't. I didn't like the trailer I watched. :-(

message 10: by Loretta, Moderator (new)

Piyangie wrote: "Loretta wrote: "Piyangie wrote: "I have two for March: Anna Karenina and Persuasion."

I loved Anna Karenina Piyangie. Did you ever see the movie? It was..."

Oh! Oh well! The book was way better anyway Piyangie! Big surprise, right? 😜

message 12: by John (new)

John I feel like I barely read anything in March. Life (sadly/happily) got in the way.

I really enjoyed The Quiet American.

message 13: by Loretta, Moderator (new)

John wrote: "I feel like I barely read anything in March. Life (sadly/happily) got in the way.

I really enjoyed The Quiet American."

I agree John! I read two children's books, which took no time at all to read. I didn't read a book of any great substance. Hopefully that will change this month. 😐

message 14: by Loretta, Moderator (new)

So happy that The Quiet American by Graham Greene was a hit! I had been wanting to read it forever! Thanks members for reading the book with me! 😊

message 15: by Piyangie (new)

Piyangie | 624 comments I finally got my copy of The Quiet American.

message 16: by Loretta, Moderator (new)

Piyangie wrote: "I finally got my copy of The Quiet American."

Yippee Piyangie! Really can't wait for you opinion and review! ☺️

message 17: by Genevieve (new)

Genevieve Uhler (vivi_uhler) My favorite March classic was Great Expectations by Charles Dickens. At first it was very slow, but towards the end I couldn’t put the book down; it was so exciting and interesting. The character development was one of the best I’ve ever seen.

message 18: by Piyangie (new)

Piyangie | 624 comments Loretta wrote: "Piyangie wrote: "I finally got my copy of The Quiet American."

Yippee Piyangie! Really can't wait for you opinion and review! ☺️"

Loretta, I'm not sure when I can read it. So many under my belt for the year. Hopefully, I can fit it in.

message 19: by Loretta, Moderator (new)

No problem Piyangie. The thread will be there for your comments when you do read it. And I'll be there reading them along with a few other members who read the book so you won't be talking to yourself! 😂

It's quite a short book and can easily be read in one sitting if time permits. Either way, I look forward to your thoughts. 😊

message 20: by Loretta, Moderator (new)

Jenna wrote: "My favorite March classic was Great Expectations by Charles Dickens. At first it was very slow, but towards the end I couldn’t put the book down; it was so exciting and interesting. The character d..."

There are many members here Jenna that share your love of Charles Dickens! 😊

message 21: by Piyangie (new)

Piyangie | 624 comments I'm a fan of Dickens. But I was a little disappointed with Great Expectations. I couldn't like it as much as I hoped. I just finished David Copperfield and absolutely loved it.

Kelly_Hunsaker_reads ... Jenna wrote: "My favorite March classic was Great Expectations by Charles Dickens. At first it was very slow, but towards the end I couldn’t put the book down; it was so exciting and interesting. The character d..."

I loved Great Expectations. It is so clever.

message 23: by Loretta, Moderator (new)

Favorite Read - March 2019

message 24: by John (new)

John The Deerslayer by James Fenimore Cooper

If you haven't read any Cooper, I would suggest The Last of the Mohicans over The Deerslayer, but if you enjoyed LOTM and haven't read any other Cooper novels, I would suggest continuing with this one.

message 25: by Rosemarie (new)

Rosemarie | 1563 comments I really enjoyed the Seamus Heaney translation of Beowulf. Beowulf by Unknown

message 26: by John (new)

John Carrie,
I agree! Native Son was a great book. It was very difficult to put down, but every few chapters you had to just so you could process what was going on.

message 27: by MK (last edited Mar 31, 2019 08:19PM) (new)

MK (wisny) | 47 comments I only read 2 books published before 2000 in March, so of the two, I guess this one was my favorite:

Grendel by John Gardner
Grendel, by John Gardner

This book springs from the Beowulf epic. Grendel was the first monster Beowulf fought. This book tells the story from the point of view of the monster, Grendel.

message 29: by Tracey (new)

Tracey (traceyrb) John wrote: "The Deerslayer by James Fenimore Cooper

If you haven't read any Cooper, I would suggest The Last of the Mohicans over The Deerslayer, but if you enjoyed LO..."

Hi John, have you read The Pioneers? I really enjoyed this one.

message 30: by Tracey (new)

Tracey (traceyrb) I really enjoyed Lamb in His Bosom by Caroline Miller, a Pulitzer prize winner so probably one the group will read soon.

message 31: by Marilyn (new)

Marilyn The Long Goodbye by Raymond Chandler. I love crime noir. This book had the added benefit of Humphrey Bogart narrating the whole book in my head.

message 32: by Marina (new)

Marina (sonnenbarke) | 563 comments I haven't read many classics in March, so my favorite book was a contemporary novel which I can't recommend strongly enough - Americanah by Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie. It really makes one think about how we perceive other people and broadens our view on race and racism.

Bryan--The Bee’s Knees (theindefatigablebertmcguinn) | 409 comments MK wrote: "I only read 2 books published before 2000 in March, so of the two, I guess this one was my favorite:

Grendel by John Gardner
Grendel, by John Gardner

This book sp..."

I read that years ago, and then again right after readingBeowulf for the first time--Reading the two together, I thought, was much better. Grendel seemed rather poignant, actually.

Have you read any other John Gardner? I've got a couple of his others, but I haven't got to them yet. I think Nickel Mountain and The Sunlight Dialogues are usually well-thought of.

message 34: by MK (new)

MK (wisny) | 47 comments I haven't read any other of John Gardner's books yet, Bryan. Thx for the recs. I agree on Grendel. Interesting way of looking at the Beowulf story!

message 35: by Jenny (new)

Jenny | 345 comments I reread The Food of the Gods by H.G. Wells. First read in high school (I actually used a line from it for my senior quote) I wondered if I’d love it as much as an adult. Thankfully I did. I can’t agree as wholeheartedly with the optimistic vision of a technological future now that I’ve read Vonnegut and Atwood, but I can still believe in the possibility of human greatness.

message 36: by Jules (last edited Apr 01, 2019 07:41PM) (new)

Jules I spent the entire month of March reading Jane Austen (Pride and Prejudice and Northanger Abbey) and PG Wodehouse (Aunts Aren't Gentlemen and Uncle Fred in the Springtime). My favorite had to be Uncle Fred in the Springtime, probably my second favorite Wodehouse book behind Psmith in the City. I also grew to love Pride and Prejudice though it took many months to get to that point.

message 37: by Loretta, Moderator (new)

Rosemarie wrote: "I really enjoyed the Seamus Heaney translation of Beowulf. Beowulf by Unknown"

I agree Rosemarie! Excellent book! Five stars! 😁

message 38: by Loretta, Moderator (new)

MK wrote: "I only read 2 books published before 2000 in March, so of the two, I guess this one was my favorite:

Grendel by John Gardner
Grendel, by John Gardner

This book sp..."

I've not read this one MK. I've added it. Thanks! 😊

message 39: by Loretta, Moderator (new)

Marilyn wrote: "The Long Goodbye by Raymond Chandler. I love crime noir. This book had the added benefit of Humphrey Bogart narrating the whole book in my head."

I love books in that period as well Marilyn. Glad you enjoyed it! 😄

message 40: by Loretta, Moderator (new)

Jenny wrote: "I reread The Food of the Gods by H.G. Wells. First read in high school (I actually used a line from it for my senior quote) I wondered if I’d love it as much as an adu..."

I've read a couple of H.G. Wells's non-Science Fiction books recently which I've enjoyed. Not sure about this one but I'm glad you enjoyed the book Jenny! 😊

message 41: by Loretta, Moderator (last edited Apr 02, 2019 05:40AM) (new)

Julie wrote: "I spent the entire month of March reading Jane Austen (Pride and Prejudice and Northanger Abbey) and PG Wodehouse (Aunts Aren't Gentlemen and Uncle Fred in the Springtime). My favorite had to be Un..."

Members keep talking about this author, P.G. Wodehouse. I have yet to read anything by the author yet. I really need to rectify that! Thanks Julie for the reminder! 🤗 Glad to see that another member has found Pride and Prejudice by Jane Austen a delightful read! 😄

message 42: by Loretta, Moderator (new)

I've had two five star reads for the month of March!

The Magic Shop by H.G. Wells and A Confession by Leo Tolstoy. Two totally different books but both were very enjoyable! 😁

message 43: by Piyangie (new)

Piyangie | 624 comments I'm glad you liked Confession by Tolstoy, Loretta. It is a very emotional book.

message 44: by Loretta, Moderator (new)

Piyangie wrote: "I'm glad you liked Confession by Tolstoy, Loretta. It is a very emotional book."

You're absolutely right Piyangie! It was definitely an emotional read for me. 😕

message 45: by Ila (new)

Ila | 120 comments No five star read this month but my favourite was Twenty Thousand Streets Under the Sky. I discovered a fantastic and observant writer who didn't shy from life's darker aspects in Patrick Hamilton.

message 46: by Pillsonista (last edited Apr 02, 2019 10:14AM) (new)

Pillsonista | 261 comments Ila wrote: "No five star read this month but my favourite was Twenty Thousand Streets Under the Sky. I discovered a fantastic and observant writer who didn't shy from life's darker aspects in Pat..."

Ila, if you liked Twenty Thousand Streets, then I highly recommend his Slaves of Solitude if you haven't read it already. Some consider it his masterpiece, but it's as funny and remorseless as anything else he'd written.

message 47: by Ila (new)

Ila | 120 comments Pillsonista wrote: "Ila wrote: "No five star read this month but my favourite was Twenty Thousand Streets Under the Sky. I discovered a fantastic and observant writer who didn't shy from life's darker as..."

Thanks for the recommendation Pillsonista.

message 48: by Loretta, Moderator (new)

Favorite Classical Read - March 2020

message 49: by Rosemarie (new)

Rosemarie | 1563 comments My favourite for this month was 84, Charing Cross Road. I am glad I was able to get it before the libraries closed.
It's a lovely little book.

message 50: by Nidhi (new)

Nidhi Kumari | 208 comments My favourite for March 2020 is A Raisin in the Sun by Lorraine Hansberry. 5 stars of course.

« previous 1