Bisky's Twitterling's Scribbles! discussion

Books/Characters > MC Looks

Comments Showing 1-10 of 10 (10 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Bisky (new)

Bisky Scribbles (bisky_scribbles) | 2536 comments Mod
Do your main characters look a certain way because of the story? Do you base your main characters off living people, friends or celebs?

Do they have ticks or trademarks and does that fit into your plots?

What do they look like and why?

message 2: by [deleted user] (new)

All my male characters are hot because they're inspired by my dreams :-P hahahah

message 3: by Bisky (new)

Bisky Scribbles (bisky_scribbles) | 2536 comments Mod
Oh I know what you mean :p *fans self*

message 4: by Dionne (new)

Dionne | 68 comments A bit of everything is what I base my mc on. Myself, friends, family, etc.

message 5: by Ann (new)

Ann Andrews (annliviandrews) I have a hard time explaining how my MCs look because I'm usually looking out through their eyes throughout the story. . .and you never see yourself the same way others see you. If that makes sense. . .

message 6: by Emma (new)

Emma Lindhagen (emmalindhagen) When I was younger, about 90% of my MC were freckled redheads with green eyes. I've outgrown that in the last 5-10 years, thankfully, haha!

These days they are a lot more mixed. Usually my MCs' appearance just "comes to me" and I can't quite put my finger on where it came from. On the relatively rare occasions when I don't know what my MC looks like I try to just mix it up so that I don't risk just cloning another MC of mine. Occasionally I do get inspired by a reason person's appearance or part of a real person's appearance. For example I have a MC whose hair was inspired by River Song in Doctor Who, hah.

The one thing I keep doing again and again, though, is give my dudes long, dark hair. Because grr...

message 7: by Cem (new)

Cem Bilici (cembilici) I tend to go with what randomly comes to me.

In my book I have an average height middle aged guy and a curvy girl as MC's who actively discounts the magazine "official" overweight category she is in.

He's British, skinny but toned from physical activity, farming for himself, not eating junk etc. Blonde that's greying. He cuts his hair himself too so it's all wonky, . He dresses in baggy Hawaiian shirts and board shorts, but that's due to the nature of his powers, and he hates it.

She's Australian, in an all girl thrash metal band and roller derby queen has tatts, loves purple. Not sure why, it just came to me. She wears worn purple Doc Martens, purple clothing, has a purple shower loofah, etc. She's a redhead, I don't disclose whether it's natural or not because I'm not sure myself.

No one I know fits either of those descriptions. And for some weird reason I picture him as Simon Pegg... I didn't set out that way though, LOL. But it's firmly lodged in my brain now.

So in part they look the way the do, clothing etc, but otherwise they were random.

Other stories I've written I've certainly written the characters specific to the narrative. One for example features an average everyman and a the atypical good looking, charismatic rich guy with stubble, floppy longish hair and expensive suit.

message 8: by P.D. (new)

P.D. Workman (pdworkman) Some of them were inspired by random people that I saw on the street or by actors/TV/movie characters. Sometimes I choose a stock photo. I have found that I write characters much more clearly if I have a photograph that I can refer to, so I try to cast all main characters before I get started.

Sometimes they have particular aspects that are required by the plot (skinny drug user or untreated diabetes sufferer, gentle giant, nerdy kid, etc.)

message 9: by J. David (new)

J. David Clarke (clarketacular) | 418 comments It's a mixed bag. Sometimes I don't know where a characters looks come from, it's just how I envision them, and sometimes I do think, this person should be a "Melissa McCarthy type" and create the character around that.

message 10: by Shannon (new)

Shannon Pemrick The looks of my characters aren't usually based on those I know or see. They just kind of appear in my head. I do have a few though that have been influenced my pictures I saw on Google when looking for reference images.

It's the personalities that have the high influence for me and their personalities are really was influence how I see my characters.