Colorless Tsukuru Tazaki and His Years of Pilgrimage Colorless Tsukuru Tazaki and His Years of Pilgrimage question

What do you all think about Haruki Murakami?
deleted member Apr 01, 2018 10:07AM
For me personally, I really like his books. The way he forms his thoughts into sentences is enticing. Though sometimes the endings leave me hanging, but I can't help picking up another one of his books...

One of my favourite authors. Even when he writes about mundane matters, the tone of voice and words draw me in and keep me interested. But his novels are the most thought provoking I have ever read. Currently really enjoying his short story collection: Men Without Women. And I normally don't care for short stories.

Murakami is a magician. He is David Lynch of literature. He uses a vast variety of narrative techniques and postmodern elements in his books. He is a pub psychologist. He knows about human emotions. He can carefully touch our feelings with his words. I shall attach some notions here:
As readers of Murakami know, his books are filled with stuff like this. For novelist Jonathan Franzen, it’s moments like these that gave him an emotional response. “My experience at mid-life is that I have this busy modern life,” Franzen said. “And only at night, and when reading certain books, do I fall down into a tunnel that takes me back to a more enchanted place.” The Wind-Up Bird Chronicle is one of those books for him. “While you’re reading it, everything in the world feels different,” he said. “And that for me is the mark of a great novel … I think it’s one of the great novels that’s appeared anywhere in the world in the last 30 to 40 years.”
The novelist Charles Baxter said, “The work is not without its faults, but that’s part of the appeal. I have to say that I find Murakami’s failures more interesting than other people’s neat successes … He has a prodigious imagination, and he has a prodigious intelligence, and somebody like that is going to err on the side of excess.”
As Jonathan Franzen said, there’s a kind of “manic inventiveness” to Murakami.
I think hours and hours we can spend to talk bout Murakami.

I love him, i enjoy every his book. He helps me understand real world or difficulties that may i meet in the future. YOU ARE BRILLIANT HARUKI MURAKAMI!

I still haven't made up my mind about this author. I rather liked Colorless Tsukuru Tazaki, but when I read Men Without Women I felt like I was reading the same thing again and again. =/
I like the way he keeps open endings, that is something not many authors do and, to me at least, it makes the whole story more interesting.

Jason Williams (last edited Aug 27, 2020 05:20PM ) Aug 27, 2020 05:19PM   0 votes
I like him but I don't. The first four+ Murakamis that I read were pretty well spaced out, and I loved them. These include (in order) Wind-up Bird, Hard Boiled Wonderland, Wild Sheep Chase, and Kafka. Wild Sheep Chase was okay, but the rest I loved -- the pacing, the melding of the mundane with the thoughtful, the ruminations, the lowkeyness of the wildly imaginative. Hard Boiled specifically is still, in my memory at least, one of the coolest books I've ever read.

But then I made the mistake of reading 3-4 Murakamis in a single summer, and it left me jaded by some one-trick-pony stuff. Pinball, 1973, Colorless, and Sputnik. Too many scenes and characters that add nothing. Constantly using record albums and "time passing through" like deus ex machina. Lonely guy feels lonely, misses/needs girl, sex + music, time passes, random inexplicable supernatural thing, end of story.

Maybe it's as simple as that I read the best Murakami books first. Or maybe they're all too similar to read so close to each other. Or maybe it's just me getting old (but I'm not as old as Murakami). They really just seem less cool and all too similar to me the more I read.

I find him absolutely brilliant. Very few authors have the ability to turn everyday life into a magical realist endeavor. He does this very well and reads in English very similar to its Japanese original. Inclusively, his take on the Japanese-Western nuance is very particular to his style as it makes reading his novels almost universal; as in anyone could possibly identify with his central characters. Also, incorporating his love of music in his works makes it all the more enjoyable.