What's the Name of That Book??? discussion

Suggest books for me > Steampunk fantasy (YA)

Comments Showing 1-11 of 11 (11 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Vojtěch (new)

Vojtěch Kundela | 16 comments Hi there, I'm looking for some good steampunk books with fantasy elements (some form of magic, fantasy creatures, etc.). It should be YA, but books for adults are also appreciated. It can be a different world, or just an alternate history, but there should be steampunk elements. Thanks a lot in advance :)

message 2: by LauraW (last edited Apr 01, 2018 12:03PM) (new)

LauraW (lauralynnwalsh) | 374 comments I found the Far West series by Patricia C. Wrede to be interesting. The Far West.

Then there is also Leviathan.

message 3: by Ann aka Iftcan (last edited Apr 01, 2018 12:12PM) (new)

Ann aka Iftcan (iftcan) | 6972 comments Mod
Gail Carriger has 3 series set in a steampunk world. The first series is an adult one, called The Parasol Protectorate, first book of which is Soulless. The second series is a YA series and set about 20 or so years earlier than the previous series (even though it was written after the ending of The Parasol Protectorate.) Etiquette & Espionage is the first book in this series. And the third series goes back to after the first series--and features the daughter of the 2 MC's from that first series. This series is the Custard Protocol and the first book is Prudence. Werewolves and ghosts and mad scientists, oh my.

Oh, and I'm going to support LauraW's suggestion of Patricia C. Wrede's Frontier Magic series (the book that she linked is the third in the series.) Excellent writing and I loved the characters.

Edit: Remembered another one that was interesting: Steamed by Katie MacAlister. This is one where a scientist from our world gets thrust into a parallel world where Steam is the only way to go.

message 4: by Rachie2929 (last edited Apr 01, 2018 01:44PM) (new)

Rachie2929 | 29 comments The Girl in the Steel Corset by Kady Cross is one of my absolute favorite series.
Rebel Mechanics is a great series, set as a sort of alternative American revolution. All the English nobles have magic, the revolutionaries have mechanics and a couple magical converts.
All Men of Genius is another good one. It doesn't really include the fantasy elements, but if you ever decide to branch a little...
And to agree with Ann aka Iftcan, the Parasol Protectorate is a must-read.

message 5: by Annamariah (last edited Apr 01, 2018 04:11PM) (new)

Annamariah | 283 comments There's also The Falconer by Elizabeth May – YA steampunk with faeries, and Stoker & Holmes series by Colleen Gleason.

message 6: by Kaion (new)

Kaion (kaionvin) | 389 comments I found Elizabeth Bear's Karen Memory a good romp. It has a sequel that just came out as well: Stone Mad

message 8: by Joseph (new)

Joseph  (bluemanticore) | 441 comments Kaion wrote: "I found Elizabeth Bear's Karen Memory a good romp. It has a sequel that just came out as well: Stone Mad"
I second this recommendation. You might also like:
Gideon Smith and the Mechanical Girl by David Barnett
The Buntline Special by Mike Resnick

message 9: by Ann aka Iftcan (new)

Ann aka Iftcan (iftcan) | 6972 comments Mod
Lady of Devices was interesting. After her father bets all of his money on petroleum instead of steam, an aristocratic you lady finds herself becoming Lady of Devices in the London underworld. She sets out to support her mother and brother while at the same time taking over various gangs and setting the gang members onto lives that won't have them hung.